Nice to Join the Circle

tinkerphile

Nice to Join the Circle
« on: 16 Jul 2017, 04:32 pm »
Obviously new to the AC. Not new to Hi-Fi (on my 5th or 6th system over 40 years), but I've got a lot to learn!  Most recent changes: Went to Pass Labs X250 with X1 Pre, TD124 with a couple of arms/cartridges.  Searching for new MC cartridge and arm for the Pass/Thorens synergy.  Also want to upgrade speakers (the big question) and definitely need a new phono pre (again, likely Pass pre)  Separate HT 7.2 system.  And, now want to begin to explore digital, but know zippo about it...I'm just an old disc-spinner :)  I hope to get some help here on AC.  Once I get a chance to hang around a bit, I'll ask for some advice - - but feel free to chime in now if you'd like to help!
« Last Edit: 16 Jul 2017, 07:49 pm by tinkerphile »

Phil A

Re: Shiit Gungnir connections
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jul 2017, 05:00 pm »
Welcome to AC!

tinkerphile

Great to have entered the AC fold
« Reply #2 on: 4 Apr 2020, 06:17 am »
Have greatly appreciated reading so much in the Circle over the last few years, so decided to maybe participate a bit when helpful. 
I've been in love with HiFi for decades, and in the last few years have fallen prey to the audiophile disease. Insufficient funds has been a partially effective vaccine...but only partially.  I've rationalized I could always work a few more years and readjust my future retirement plans.  I also rationalize that hanging out at the Circle is helpful to save money...on purchases. 

Phil A

Re: Great to have entered the AC fold
« Reply #3 on: 4 Apr 2020, 12:39 pm »
Welcome to AC!

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Great to have entered the AC fold
« Reply #4 on: 4 Apr 2020, 12:39 pm »
Welcome  :thumb:
Please dont start more than one thread in this Circle as noted in top of the page:
Please introduce yourself to the community by starting a thread here. If you are new to the site, threads posted here will be approved more quickly than anywhere else. Please DO NOT start more than one thread.
I will merge your topics for convenience.

Wind Chaser

Re: Nice to Join the Circle
« Reply #5 on: 4 Apr 2020, 01:42 pm »
Welcome to Audio Circle.  :D

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #6 on: 4 Apr 2020, 01:52 pm »
Welcome!

It's never been a better time to get into audio.  Price wise, you can get 90% of the top end for 10% of the cost sort of thing.  Streaming is extremely helpful in that regard ($20/month or less for access to millions of CD quality albums) without the need/worries about storage/sorting or mechanical breakdown.  Of course that means getting a streamer, software, and DAC.  One set of alternatives comes from NAD in the form of Node 2i ($550), PowerNode ($899, a Node 2i with power amp), C658 ($1650, a "Node 2i on steroids"), and M10 ($2750, from their Masters series which also includes a power amp).  These devices provide a simple one box solution.  I use the M10.

The biggest possible upgrade in speakers is to go active, like 98% of all studio professionals do.  The design and sonic advantages are undeniable.  Active speakers use a sophisticated low voltage crossover to feed one channel of amplification per driver, saving the user from finding the ideal match between passive speakers and power amp or buying speaker cable. 

Perhaps the biggest upgrade you can make is via knowledge.  Suggest reading Floyd Toole's "Sound Reproduction" 3rd edition for the consummate audiophile guide to how speakers behave in-room.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #7 on: 4 Apr 2020, 02:53 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC  tinkerphile   :thumb: