Sandrock New to AudioCircle

Sandrock

• *My Sound Space*
Sandrock New to AudioCircle
« on: 15 Jul 2017, 08:09 pm »
Hello Everyone,
My user name is Sandrock. I am a life-long Audiophile and proud of it. It all started back in Australia when I was very young.  In 1959 Dad gave Mom a wind-up record player, a sort of all-in-one kind and some LP records.
I was 8 at the time and for a moment I found myself alone in the house so I decided that I wanted to hear some noise/music so I put on an LP called The Music Man that Dad recently brought back from America.  He said it was all the rage over there.  Wow, was I enjoying the music!  At least until Mom came home and pointed out that I was playing the album at 78 speed. But to my young mind I did not recognize the difference.  It all sounded wonderful and I was enjoying it so very much.  And so from that humble beginning I have grown to where I am now in my Audio walk. Its been a "fun" and interesting trip and even at my more mature age, I still get the best kick-in-the-world, every-time I fire up the Hi-Fi!!! Just over 2 years ago I moved back to the SF Bay Area. (the family legally immigrated to California in 1960) So for me its like coming home again after all these years. I have even re connected with several school chums. So in moving into our new house here in Pleasanton, I am in the process of both down-sizing and changing over to a Music Server format all at the same time.  Its now out with my big beloved equipment and in with all that is new, smaller and exciting toys. I acquired an Aurender M/S and the boss is loving that she can now control/play her music choices with just a tap on the IPad.  Its great and now that all the CD'S are packed away, that even makes her more enjoyable to live with and gives the listening room a cleaner look in the bargain. As this was told to me, "The only thing constant in life, is change" right? I will be attending the Ca Audio Show at the Hilton Oakland Airport July 28,29,30. it should be fun and I am looking forward to it. I am also in the process of wanting a smaller amp. I am considering the Luxman M600A or maybe a Bryston or an ARC unit. The only concern outside of the price is that its class A and will generate substantial amount of heat. So I continue to look around. (anyone have any suggestions?) 2K would be better then 4K and preowned would be the way to go, right? Anyway, I did not mean to get so verbose but its Saturday, the Hi-Fi is on, and I am on a roll. Please fell free to contact me if you like and should you be in the local area then please lets talk.  Cheers

« Last Edit: 16 Jul 2017, 05:03 am by Sandrock »

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: New to AudioCircle
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jul 2017, 08:12 pm »
Welcome Sandrock :thumb:
This is a proper introduction.

Sandrock

• *My Sound Space*
« Reply #2 on: 15 Jul 2017, 08:25 pm »
Thanks for your kind words.
As I mentioned, its Saturday, the music is on and I am enjoying the moment.
So as they say, "let'er rip"
Fun is what one makes of it.
We only have a finite time to enjoy it.......
So I say lets make the best of it.
« Last Edit: 15 Jul 2017, 09:33 pm by Sandrock »

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 15 Jul 2017, 08:34 pm »
Welcome to AC!

dB Cooper

« Reply #4 on: 16 Jul 2017, 12:50 am »
Welcome to the sweet spot, Sandrock. Thanks for telling us about you, your systems, and your interests. Too often all we get is a sentence. This is a Community and we like knowing about each other.

I too am 100% 'music server' now. There seems to be a mindset in the hobby that 'real' audiophiles spin vinyl. I noticed this at Capital Audiofest on the East coast last year, where I saw 3x the TTs last year than in shows past. I don't 'spin' (and don't miss it much) but to each his own. Anyway, welcome.

Sandrock

• *My Sound Space*
« Reply #5 on: 16 Jul 2017, 04:13 am »
Hello DB Cooper, I am pleased to be apart of the "sweet spot" as you call it. Pleased you enjoyed the ramble about yours truly!
As you mentioned, in the early days I too was a 'spinner'..... as that was all there was, right? Then tape cassettes came along and were great for making 'greatest-hits' tapes for the car.  Wow, big stuff! Then in 83 we had the CD revolution invade our world.  As much I resisted it, every time I went down to Tower Records I noticed that vinyl was shrinking. It was being replaced by CD's which by the way was a quantum  leap in price over the trusty LP. Boo Hoo......
But as they say, "one can't fight city hall" or what ever you get my drift. So I finally bit the bullet at about the time Tower yanked all the remaining LP's.
The history was written on the subway walls.....
But I stilled enjoyed the visceral experience of playing an LP on the TT so I hung onto my vinyl collection and TT.
Yes CD"s are more convenient and easy to play but it still takes away from all the personal experience and enjoyment of actually playing an LP. Plus the Babes I dated were amazed when I went through the ritual especially with both the Discwasher and Zerostat gun. It would always blow them away. Now we are transcending the red book CD's and migrating over to Music Servers and Music Down Loads. All both very nerdy and clinical. But at the same time lets look at the 'Blade" as in this case the Music itself. For me it has changed and not for the better I might ad! Our equipment far outweighs the sonic quality and performance of what is generally available from the music market in general, what with its ACC downloads and MP3's etc. Again, you get my drift, right? Well I now have decided to go down the next iteration which is M/Server route. But I am still playing my older last century music which I recorded in Aiff. At least the boss is now able to participate in the shared  enjoyment. I wonder what will come next to lift our money out of our pockets? I reckon that I have about 10 to 15 years left before either my ears give out and or I meet the grim reaper. Then it can be someone else's problem.........