New Singers Who Can Actually Sing

Wind Chaser

Re: New Singers Who Can Actually Sing
« Reply #20 on: 15 Jul 2017, 07:21 am »
I think Pink is fantastic. Best of the big pop stars IMHO...

Can't disagree with that. There might have been one or two others in recent years that weren't too bad, but I can't think of who they are now.

rockadanny

« Reply #21 on: 19 Jul 2017, 03:18 pm »
Imelda May. I've been attracted to her voice for a while, but on this release, Life Love Flesh Blood, I think she proves she really can "sing".

EdRo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #22 on: 19 Jul 2017, 05:27 pm »
I guess she isn't new, but I love her!
https://youtu.be/R5yVkoLhByw

pconley2

« Reply #23 on: 19 Jul 2017, 06:24 pm »
+1 on Rihanna Giddens, classically trained but increasingly more interested in the Roots music from her and her family's past.

I should mention Wailin' Jennys, three very good vocalists (and instrumentalists), their "live at the Mauch Chunk Opera" is an amazing album.

I am very partial to Katie Melua, not a huge voice but her version of Blues in the Nigh is stunning (and sly), with a great Hammond B3 organ in the background.

Shelby Lynne has a number of albums, beyond Just a little loving' that deserve some attention.

Melody Gardot is also interesting, I have both her "Worrisome Heart" and The Absence CDs, and like them both.

Of all of these, only Riannon Giddens has a huge voice, the others do a great deal with more limited instruments but fine sense of musicality.

None have a voice the size of Janis Joplin's, Aretha Franklin's or Linda Ronstadt (oh, how lucky we were)

Phil

Abby356

« Reply #24 on: 19 Jul 2017, 06:56 pm »
I'm gonna surprise myself with this suggestion but I have come to the recent conclusion that 'The Weeknd' is one of the most talented of the current Pop Music singers. Generally I lean more towards female vocals but this guy just leaps of the track and says "Listen up'". Doesn't hurt that he reminds everyone of some of the middle years music of the late MJ.

The Weeknd's earlier stuff is pretty dark and chocked full of nasty lyrics that I struggle with but his more recent collaborations with Daft Punk are very easy on the ears.

Check out the strange movie soundtrack collaboration/remix of Sia's 'Elastic Heart' that he contributes vocals on...brief but spectacular.

Happy Listening

Daniel

Early B.

« Reply #25 on: 20 Jul 2017, 12:59 am »
Here are three more:

1. Alicia Olatuja -- stunningly beautiful voice; classically trained
https://www.amazon.com/Timeless-Alicia-Olatuja/dp/B00XTDK7Y4/ref=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1500511835&sr=1-3&keywords=alicia+olatuja

2. Jazzmeia Horn (yep, her real name) - classic jazz vocalist with vocal skills reminiscent of Rachelle Farrell
https://www.amazon.com/Social-Call-Jazzmeia-Horn/dp/B06XJ5Y1CD/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1500511893&sr=1-1&keywords=jazzmeia+horn

3. Cecile McLorin Salvant -- another award winning classic jazz vocalist
https://www.amazon.com/WomanChild-Cecile-Mclorin-Salvant/dp/B00BKU9ZFU/ref=pd_sim_15_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00BKU9ZFU&pd_rd_r=A85YAP869FZ9CPE9E5C0&pd_rd_w=o9h2c&pd_rd_wg=Y0MAw&psc=1&refRID=A85YAP869FZ9CPE9E5C0

On the pop side, there hasn't been anyone to come along since Whitney Houston debuted in the early 90's.

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
« Reply #26 on: 20 Jul 2017, 02:09 pm »

On the pop side, there hasn't been anyone to come along since Whitney Houston debuted in the early 90's.

Solange
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qogqro-lg1o&sns=em

Unfortunately her politics will be a turn-off for some but there's no denying the breadth of talent and creativity.

Sent from my iPad

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #27 on: 29 Sep 2017, 06:10 pm »
How about my daughter.. Pretty new and very good singer. Original music. They are going places. She gave up going to the music program at University of British Columbia to make a run with Damian's band.

https://soundcloud.com/damianplagrange

Rocket Ronny

« Last Edit: 2 Oct 2017, 05:14 pm by Rocket_Ronny »

rpf

« Reply #28 on: 29 Sep 2017, 11:02 pm »
+2 on Rhiannon Giddens. An amazing singer with the ability to transcend genres.

+1 on Imelda May: a powerhouse with great flexibility.

randytsuch

« Reply #29 on: 29 Sep 2017, 11:40 pm »
+1 on Rihanna Giddens, classically trained but increasingly more interested in the Roots music from her and her family's past.

I should mention Wailin' Jennys, three very good vocalists (and instrumentalists), their "live at the Mauch Chunk Opera" is an amazing album.

I am very partial to Katie Melua, not a huge voice but her version of Blues in the Nigh is stunning (and sly), with a great Hammond B3 organ in the background.

Shelby Lynne has a number of albums, beyond Just a little loving' that deserve some attention.

Melody Gardot is also interesting, I have both her "Worrisome Heart" and The Absence CDs, and like them both.

Of all of these, only Riannon Giddens has a huge voice, the others do a great deal with more limited instruments but fine sense of musicality.

None have a voice the size of Janis Joplin's, Aretha Franklin's or Linda Ronstadt (oh, how lucky we were)

Phil

I like Melody Gardot and Katie Melua, so going to need to check out your other singers lol

BTW, some mentioned Stacey Kent.  I like her stuff, but not my favorite singer.

EDIT:  And thanks Don for starting this thread.

BTW, Vienna Teng comes to mind.  Also Madeleine Peyroux

Randy