Is This The Life We Really Want? - Roger Waters

Wind Chaser

Re: Is This The Life We Really Want? - Roger Waters
« Reply #20 on: 5 Jun 2017, 04:17 pm »
That is what I didn't want to hear.
I love all things Floyd but when musicians open their mouth about religion and politics I lose interest.

For me that depends on their POV; but I'd take a POV I disagree with over another trite love song.

wushuliu

« Reply #21 on: 5 Jun 2017, 04:59 pm »
Well all this debate is why the band broke up. So for those who don't care for Roger, there's a 'zero politics' option...

Wind Chaser

« Reply #22 on: 5 Jun 2017, 05:33 pm »
Well all this debate is why the band broke up.

I thought it was more about a power struggle between Dave and Roger.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #23 on: 5 Jun 2017, 06:10 pm »
For me that depends on their POV; but I'd take a POV I disagree with over another trite love song.

Amen brother.

PF without Roger's social/political leaning is just another pop band.

wushuliu

« Reply #24 on: 5 Jun 2017, 06:11 pm »
I thought it was more about a power struggle between Dave and Roger.

Over the direction of the band. Roger wanted to go all in on the political themes after The Wall, Dave didn't. Roger said well then we're not a band anymore, the others said don't need you thx bye, tumult ensued. Over-generalized but that's the gist.

Mike B.

« Reply #25 on: 5 Jun 2017, 08:36 pm »
There was a recently done interview with Waters on CBS Sunday Morning yesterday. Well worth listening and he does touchs on the political aspect

http://www.brain-damage.co.uk/latest/roger-waters-interview-on-cbs-tvs-sunday-morning.html

wushuliu

« Reply #26 on: 5 Jun 2017, 09:55 pm »
I'll never forget an interview that was done a few years ago with Dave and Roger together, maybe near Rick's passing, and the whole time Gilmour was like touching or holding on to Roger's arm. It was so affectionate and touching I just about welled up.

bluemeanies

« Reply #27 on: 6 Jun 2017, 11:00 am »
Keep your money. Waters does his trademark anguished screaming, inserts F**K into many songs and is totally depressing.
And talking about dynamic range, there are just two levels - loud and more loud. Every instrument and vocal is competing for dominance until the whole album becomes just a bunch of random noise.

I remember when we wore out Pink Floyd albums, each song was better than the last. This album is one and done.

But once in a while Waters can be truly inspired, his version of Pigs (Three Different Ones), Live from Zócalo Square - Mexico City - October 1, 2016 for an audience of 200,000 enthusiastic fans is a classic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWLBtMz5OuY

Have to agree with you 1000%. I think Roger is a very talented artist, but please give me a break with the political jargon. I pay you to entertain me not for you to force me to listen to your propaganda. I get enough of that daily crap from news agencies.
Having tickets to his concert in August and reading these threads I have a feeling I may want to walk out.
The last concert I seen Rogers doing was THE WALL a dramatic performance with just a touch of politics of the day...tolerable and short lived.
Loud and louder is part of the description of Rogers latest work...A miss mash of instruments

wushuliu

« Reply #28 on: 6 Jun 2017, 09:22 pm »
I pay you to entertain me not for you to force me to listen to your propaganda.

Come on now. He's been this way for 30+ years, so how can he possibly be forcing anyone. I mean, Dark Side of The Moon is pretty darn political. And part of his worldview is that entertainment IS a means of propaganda. And for many of his fans his 'propaganda' IS entertainment...

How can anyone watch The Wall and then go 'phew, at least Roger kept the politics to a minimum' is beyond me. That entire album is political.

2bigears

« Reply #29 on: 6 Jun 2017, 10:38 pm »
 :D. At his concerts 1/2 time break he goes back stage and talks to Vets.  Nice to do that.
          The gets right back at the music without a skip.  Serious talent. His music has a message.
               Get over it.  It's what he does. That man can play.   :D

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #30 on: 6 Jun 2017, 11:00 pm »
The human voice is just another instrument. You don't have to comprehend the words meaning, just the notes. There are very few artists whose words are worth listening to.

Doc

2bigears

« Reply #31 on: 6 Jun 2017, 11:05 pm »
 :D. Words are sooooo important in a song.  Otherwise you just have a melody.  :D

rbbert

« Reply #32 on: 6 Jun 2017, 11:24 pm »
A few more melodies in this album would improve it tremendously, IMO

Wind Chaser

« Reply #33 on: 20 Jun 2017, 05:16 pm »
I finally got around to listening to it last night, not sure if I want to do that again.  As an artist, Waters hasn't grown at all. And I doubt he'll release another after album this. The glory days have long since passed.

Two thumbs all the way down... :thumbdown:  :thumbdown:

Larkston Zinaspic

« Reply #34 on: 20 Jun 2017, 07:16 pm »
Yeah that's sad news but can't say I'm all that surprised. The Old Rog has nothing to prove anymore....

max190

• Home of the St. Louis Cardinals!
« Reply #35 on: 20 Jun 2017, 09:49 pm »
I sampled it... No thanks.
Always preferred Gilmour and Wright.

sabciu

• Enjoy The Music!!
« Reply #36 on: 20 Jul 2017, 03:27 am »

Have to agree with you 1000%. I think Roger is a very talented artist, but please give me a break with the political jargon. I pay you to entertain me not for you to force me to listen to your propaganda. I get enough of that daily crap from news agencies.
Having tickets to his concert in August and reading these threads I have a feeling I may want to walk out.
The last concert I seen Rogers doing was THE WALL a dramatic performance with just a touch of politics of the day...tolerable and short lived.
Loud and louder is part of the description of Rogers latest work...A miss mash of instruments

I'm going to see him on Sunday in Chicago. Let's not forget that he went through a lot of crap. He is anti war and anti Military, I think, but it's only because he lost family as a result. I can't blame him for sharing his feelings on it really....sometimes we don't know what it feels like until we walk in someone else's shoes. I think he went through a lot of pain as a result....he has the right to share his view point....it doesn't mean you have to agree. To each his own guys...at the end,
I enjoy his music and talent