New member, getting back into high end audio...

Larry Dickman

• Restricted
New member, getting back into high end audio...
« on: 11 May 2017, 07:10 pm »
...after an absence for a few years.

Was first introduced to nice stereos back in the mid 1980s when I was stationed in Japan for a 6 month deployment. The base PX had a dedicated audio store. Lots of guys bought stuff to take back home. I didn't have the $$ to buy anything special. I remember guys drooling over the Nakamichi Dragon. Carver stuff was popular, as was Yamaha and dbx. I didn't know enough then to identify if any very high-end stuff was there, but considering none of us were rich, I doubt it. 

First system (1986): Yamaha AX-500u integrated Amp, Yamaha CD player (forget the model #), and Genesis Physics 22/2 speakers. Some years later I gave away the amp to a friend and it is working to this day. The other two are long gone. Genesis Physics eventually went out of business.   

First stab at the high end (Early 1990s): Arcam Delta 290 Integrated Amp, California Audio Labs Delta CD transport & Alpha DAC, Denon cassette deck, Magnepan 1.6 speakers. The Arcam was a very musical amp but the maggies needed more power, not a huge issue at the time as I was living in a small studio apartment, but I did overheat it to shutdown a couple of times. It was a beautiful sounding system. Purchased at Audio Perfection in Minneapolis. A great store that is still there.   

Best system I've owned (2005) mbl 7008 integrated amp, Esoteric DV-50s Universal Player, Krell Resolution 3 speakers. Krell made fantastic loudspeakers but have abandoned making them. Amp purchased at Rhapsody Music & Cinema in NYC. Got to hear Goldmund Epilogue and mbl 101e loudspeakers. The Krells were purchased at the now-defunct Harvey Electronics. 

I sold everything in a move and am just now starting to get back in, foregoing physical media. Up to now I just have a NAD D 3020 integrated amp/dac, and listen to music via various ROKU music channels (toslink from TV to the NAD), with Yamaha NS-F310 speakers. Better listening is with Fostex TH500RP headphones and an Audioengine D1 dac/amp via computer. Despite a glowing review from Steve Guttenberg, the Fostex appears to be a flop on the market. 

I just ordered an Audeze Deckard dac/headphone amp to replace the audioengine. Got a nice price on a demo from Razor Dog Audio. I also ordered a Bryston BDP-Pi from Audio Advisor. This will feed the NAD D 3020. I have started buying high res downloads via HD Tracks and Acoustic Sounds. I also bought a JRiver media center player for 50 bucks.

I live in a tiny studio apartment so I am looking at purchasing Silverline Audio Prelude Plus loudspeakers. Eventually I will upgrade the NAD to a more expensive integrated amp w/built in DAC (space is at a premium).  The Bel Canto C5i looks good to me. 

Anyway, I found this forum because I want to know more about using the Bryston BDP-Pi and I see you have a dedicated Bryston Forum.

Who is Larry Dickman? Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1TokSjuHmc

Blackmore

Re: New member, getting back into high end audio...
« Reply #1 on: 11 May 2017, 07:36 pm »
Welcome to Audio Circle.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 11 May 2017, 08:21 pm »
Welcome aboard.

I had a lapse of about 10 years after a couple of major life upsets.  It can be fun to be the dinosaur and it adds perspective. 

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 11 May 2017, 08:30 pm »
Welcome!

TrungT

« Reply #4 on: 11 May 2017, 08:40 pm »
Welcome to AC  :thumb:

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #5 on: 11 May 2017, 10:14 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Larry   :thumb:

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #6 on: 12 May 2017, 12:16 am »
Welcome Larry, nice to see new-old blood.