Hello from Brooklyn, NY

AFRF

Hello from Brooklyn, NY
« on: 8 Apr 2017, 10:45 pm »
Hi All,

I came across "the circle" (not sure if that is an acceptable or commonly used abbreviation for this forum), on the subject of open baffle speakers. I was impressed with the clarity and guidance of that thread, looked around, and saw other topics have similarly useful information. I.e. great stickies! Subject experts seem willing to share their knowledge, and the amount of "snark" and forum warfare seems to be minimal. That is, there is an environment of moderate trust and community. I hope I'm on the right track and these observations from a limited number of threads reflect the reality. If so, this is a community I've been looking for, and hope to both receive helpful information within the boundaries of others' time and patience, as well as contribute assistance and information where I have the subject expertise and respect from others to do so.

I worked for six years in various roles in wireless audio device design and manufacturing, with some of the core team that produced a line of boutique microphones which received excellent reviews from top magazines while they were in production. Due to privacy and professionalism, I choose not to disclose the identity of this manufacturer, though perhaps that will change some day.

I now work in the wireless industry, proper. I'm in my late twenties. Although I have no formal training in physics or engineering or anything technical, and make no claims to be an engineer, I worked and continue to work with superb EEs, mechanical, software, and embedded engineers. This, paired with reading, has given me the good fortunate of acquiring a broad knowledge of concepts and some slivers of the mathematical tools used to apply physical theory. Although I will never master any of the disciplines to the lowest level of the onion, my conceptual grasp of them seems to align with the theories and their associated mathematics to the satisfaction of engineers I work with to create products and systems of value.

Currently, I'm experimenting with and reading up on 1) DIY TTs, esp. platters 2) full range single driver speaker design 3) the propagation of acoustic waves through materials, mediums, and across material interfaces and resulting influence on subjective audio reproduction 4) the fascinating world of the interaction + interfaces of acoustic waves and electrons, and vice-versa 5) the properties of wood and wood resonance, as disclosed by violin and other acoustic instrument makers.

Anyhow, I'm look forward to participation!

Best,

AFRF

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Hello from Brooklyn, NY
« Reply #1 on: 8 Apr 2017, 10:47 pm »
Welcome AFRF :thumb:
Nice introduction.
« Last Edit: 9 Apr 2017, 12:33 am by FullRangeMan »

TrungT

« Reply #2 on: 8 Apr 2017, 11:02 pm »
Welcome to AC  :thumb:

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 8 Apr 2017, 11:36 pm »
Welcome!

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4 on: 8 Apr 2017, 11:38 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC AFRF    :thumb:

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #5 on: 8 Apr 2017, 11:47 pm »
Welcome to AC.  I grew up on 57th St and Ave J, Flatlands area.

dB Cooper

« Reply #6 on: 9 Apr 2017, 01:37 am »
Welcome to the sweet spot! Sounds like you bring a lot to the table, especially in terms of tech background & DIY. Enjoy the forums!

The snark monster does rear its head from time to time, as it seems to do on most all BB sites, but the mods do a real good job of reeling things back in when necessary.

sfox7076

« Reply #7 on: 9 Apr 2017, 03:59 am »
Welcome.  I am in Fort Greene.

AFRF

« Reply #8 on: 10 Apr 2017, 09:14 pm »
Wow!

Thanks to all for the warm welcome. I think I'll really enjoy sharing and learning and communicating, here. And good to hear there are those local to me.

At this point in my life I need to be a littttle bit careful about disclosing my real identity, but in a few months I think it will be OK for me to do so and frankly, if I become involved in this community, inevitable, haha. (Especially if there are gatherings/events in the NYC metro area)

I cannot say whether I will bring much to the table yet. I certainly hope so. Since I have been fortunate enough to have been taught by others, and afford obscure technical books, I'm eager and happy to reciprocate in any way I can within the boundaries of my time and personal priorities. (I will reiterate I am not an engineer or scientist, and that I am inexperienced and relatively young - but curious) I came to audio capture and reproduction and DIY from the top down. Top of the frequency spectrum I mean. I learned the core concepts of electromagnetic wave propagation and wireless electronics first, and then later, audio electronics, and acoustics. I think learning wireless first, and audio second, prepared me well (though not enough!). Although the two things are different phenomena (uh, well, don't tell a physicist that), it is interesting, and convenient, that both phenomena, loosely, follow the same "pattern": the wave! For which I believe we have the suave Jean-Baptiste le Rond d'Alembert to thank.

Brief diatribe, and then my introduction is concluded:

The physical world, which as I think many of you are aware, is separate from, but a part of and even forms the bulk of the internal, subjective world we each experience in our own valid and unique ways. This is what makes audio so fascinating to me.

I've learned from books, aforementioned mentors, and a few lectures I snuck into while I lived in Boston, that the mechanisms of the human ear/biological acoustic sensor are extraordinarily complex, and the neural interface to and from that sensor is not fully understood. Though the STEM disciplines are getting closer to understanding (witness: cochlear implants), there are decades, perhaps half a century or more, before theories match experiments sufficiently to say we understand this biological wonder that is the engine and experience of sound.

Let the mysteries - and civil debates - on audio continue... for now.

-AFRF

Bemopti123

« Reply #9 on: 10 Apr 2017, 11:16 pm »
Welcome.  Although I do not live in Brooklyn, I go to work to Fort Greene everyday.   :thumb: