My new Super Alnico High Output Monitors

jimmieg

My new Super Alnico High Output Monitors
« on: 26 Mar 2017, 09:08 pm »
I got them about two weeks ago, and had to leave town the next day. I am breaking them in and they currently have about 80 hours on them. Right out of the boxes they were clear and dynamic. Since then they will sometimes sound a little unrefined on vocals (compared to my Harbeth M30.1's) and sometimes sound very good,  but they are still breaking in. Also, I find that certain CD's will sound brighter and more harsh through the Omegas than the Harbeths. When listening to vinyl I do not notice this, so I guess the Omegas are more revealing of source material. I have ordered a pair of Skylan 16" stands for the Omegas......they are currently sitting on 24" stands which are too high. Overall very happy with the sound, and the fit/finish is excellent. Still not sure if want to sell the Harbeths or keep them for a second system.

nature boy

Re: My new Super Alnico High Output Monitors
« Reply #1 on: 26 Mar 2017, 09:20 pm »
My Omega SAHO's sound best toed in, pointing just a smidgen outside my left and right ears.  Creates a very vivid 3D soundstage.  You'll need about 200 hours for full break in, bass can sound a little muddled until then.  Happy listening.

NB

MarkR7

« Reply #2 on: 26 Mar 2017, 09:24 pm »
Drooling here....  :drool:

Still about 3 weeks away or so from my HO Alnico monitors...

nature boy

« Reply #3 on: 26 Mar 2017, 09:36 pm »
Drooling here....  :drool:

Still about 3 weeks away or so from my HO Alnico monitors...

So worth the wait.  You'll be thrilled, but will probably lose sleep with late night listening.

NB

Beatlebum

« Reply #4 on: 26 Mar 2017, 10:11 pm »
My Omega SAHO's sound best toed in, pointing just a smidgen outside my left and right ears.  Creates a very vivid 3D soundstage.  You'll need about 200 hours for full break in, bass can sound a little muddled until then.  Happy listening.

NB

These are my observations as well. Great speakers!

Tim

EVOLVIST

« Reply #5 on: 26 Mar 2017, 11:05 pm »
I don't know if this has been answered elsewhere, so I'll give it a go here.  The specs say 4-6ohms, but what are they really? Heh. The reason I ask is because I have a buddy who just bought some speakers rated at 8ohms; he measured them, and lo and behold they were 4ohms.

So, does anybody measured these to see what they are?

roscoe65

« Reply #6 on: 26 Mar 2017, 11:37 pm »
I don't know if this has been answered elsewhere, so I'll give it a go here.  The specs say 4-6ohms, but what are they really? Heh. The reason I ask is because I have a buddy who just bought some speakers rated at 8ohms; he measured them, and lo and behold they were 4ohms.

So, does anybody measured these to see what they are?

How did your buddy measure the speakers?  If he put a multimeter across the terminals with them unconnected they may read 4 ohms resistance, but impedance comprises resistance, capacitive reactance, and inductive reactance.  It is likely that the the actual impedance is higher than 4 ohms, but to measure it you will need a frequency generator, load resistor and multimeter.  Even then they impedance will be nominal; it will vary over the frequency range of the speaker.  The nominal impedance of the speaker will be about 25% greater than the minimum.  If your buddy's speaker measured 4 ohms resistance, it likely would have a minimum impedance of about 4.6 ohms, and is probably a realistic 6 ohm nominal speaker.  Steve Deckert is of the opinion that most 8 ohm speakers are really 6 ohms speakers and designs his amps to that specification.

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
« Reply #7 on: 27 Mar 2017, 12:19 am »
How did your buddy measure the speakers?  If he put a multimeter across the terminals with them unconnected they may read 4 ohms resistance, but impedance comprises resistance, capacitive reactance, and inductive reactance.  It is likely that the the actual impedance is higher than 4 ohms, but to measure it you will need a frequency generator, load resistor and multimeter.  Even then they impedance will be nominal; it will vary over the frequency range of the speaker.  The nominal impedance of the speaker will be about 25% greater than the minimum.  If your buddy's speaker measured 4 ohms resistance, it likely would have a minimum impedance of about 4.6 ohms, and is probably a realistic 6 ohm nominal speaker.  Steve Deckert is of the opinion that most 8 ohm speakers are really 6 ohms speakers and designs his amps to that specification.

what's the nominal frequency for measuring spk z??

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
« Reply #8 on: 27 Mar 2017, 01:51 am »
where do the load resistor go?,in series with the vc or parallel  with the vc?

thanks

roscoe65

« Reply #9 on: 27 Mar 2017, 02:30 am »
All the frequencies.  That is why a sweep generator is typically used.  You don't know the impedance unless you know if over its entire frequency range.

http://www.wikihow.com/Measure-Speaker-Impedance

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
« Reply #10 on: 27 Mar 2017, 02:53 am »
All the frequencies.  That is why a sweep generator is typically used.  You don't know the impedance unless you know if over its entire frequency range.

http://www.wikihow.com/Measure-Speaker-Impedance

thank you thank you roscoe!!
the link provides all the details (ie:load resistor in series)