Iron Fist

wushuliu

Iron Fist
« on: 18 Mar 2017, 09:50 pm »
This show is legitimately awful. So bad it's good. People will be quoting lines from this show. It will be a cult classic. These Marvel shows have coasted on the excellence of the movies, getting by through weak attempts at depth and clumsy thematic arcs. (Except jessica jones, which was truly excellent).

But this show sheds the veneer of pretension and is just straight up direct to vhs awful.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Re: Iron Fist
« Reply #1 on: 19 Mar 2017, 02:44 am »
Jessica Jones is great, but IMO Daredevil is even better.  Despite being out for months I'm only 1/3 of the way through Luke Cage, it's mediocre at best (although the lead actor is great). I forgot Iron Fist was out, I'll have to watch the first one tonite. :thumb:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #2 on: 19 Mar 2017, 04:52 am »
Funny, Luke Cage was my favorite of the lot.  I'm sure Iron Fist Timberlake is bringing sexy back.

JohnR

« Reply #3 on: 21 Mar 2017, 04:05 pm »
FWIW I quite liked the first four episodes. It had a story, unlike some of the Marvel "blockbusters" of recent years.

However in Episode 5 it just seems to have lost it, nothing more to reveal. Not sure I will get much further.

cujobob

« Reply #4 on: 21 Mar 2017, 04:57 pm »
I enjoyed watching Iron Fist, but there are some issues with it. First, the Iron Fist (meaning, the character's
weapon') is barely ever a factor in the entire series. Secondly, he's kind of an irresponsible and bad dude. Third, the storyline in many ways is too similar to that of Arrow. Fourth, it felt like the main actor was suffering from E-D of his fist.

On a positive note, I liked some of the actors' performances

Tyson

« Reply #5 on: 22 Mar 2017, 01:57 am »
I enjoyed watching Iron Fist, but there are some issues with it. First, the Iron Fist (meaning, the character's
weapon') is barely ever a factor in the entire series. Secondly, he's kind of an irresponsible and bad dude. Third, the storyline in many ways is too similar to that of Arrow. Fourth, it felt like the main actor was suffering from E-D of his fist.

I've seen 4 episodes and I agree completely with everything you say.

Bemopti123

« Reply #6 on: 22 Mar 2017, 02:04 am »

At my age, the suspension of disbelieve factor is very much at play..lets me honest, most if not all of the facts in Iron Fist's genesis is risible.  Nevertheless, I did notice that something was good when I felt honest dislike for the pri-k Ward and the entire corporation affiliated cast. 
what is cool are the slow and steady appearance of the ominous element of the Hand. 

BTW, why do most of the cast members of Netflix original heroes are of British provenance?  When someone here said the Timberlake like dude....I thought, Danny Rand definitely does not look like Timberlake.  jajajaja.   

Overall, some of the fight scenes are cool and the locations, I know where most of them are. 

Tyson

« Reply #7 on: 22 Mar 2017, 03:39 am »
Danny Rand:

Justin Timberlake:

csan

« Reply #8 on: 25 Mar 2017, 03:49 pm »
Well, I saw the first 5 episodes with hope, and "suffered" to see it until the end of the season (which I hope will be the only). Waste of time. :duh:

md92468

« Reply #9 on: 25 Mar 2017, 04:02 pm »
I often put shows that I'm quite familiar with on as "background noise" when I work from home – since I don't have to pay too much attention, I can just let them run and I don't feel like I missed much if I'm not watching the screen the whole time. This was the first show that I watched in the background the first time I watched it. I could go through 10-15 minute stretches of the show with nothing but audio and feel like I didn't miss a thing. People fault Jones, but he was far from the only problem with this show...the script was awful and trite, and the "acting"...my god, Tom Pelphrey might be the most wooden actor I've seen in many years. Just brutal.

The only two bright spots for me were Henwick's turn as Colleen Wing (she was better realized as a character than our hero) and Lewis Tan's cameo as Zhou Cheng (HE should have been Iron Fist...he would also make a great Namor if he bulked up a bit, should Marvel ever venture down that path).

Anyway, pretty awful. I just hope they do a better job at integrating the characters in the Defenders than they did in realizing this corner of the Marvel universe, otherwise they're going to start to lose folks they had converted with DD, JJ, et al.   

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 26 Mar 2017, 05:44 am »
It's kind of weird that in the DC and Marvel universes literally every person with a net worth > $1B is either a superhero or a super villain. :? :lol:

FWIW I'm still chipping away at Luke Cage. At best I can get one episode per week done.  It's like taking a giant horse pill vitamin that I know is "good for me" but that I hate to choke down; I have to force myself to watch it but once I do it's generally alright.  But to be honest it's turning into a long slog to get through it.  Not sure if I have the determination to white knuckle my way through Iron Fist on top of it.

Tyson

« Reply #11 on: 26 Mar 2017, 03:26 pm »
I think I'll just skip the rest of Iron Fist.  I already saw Arrow and the plots and hero are all exactly the same.  At least Arrow seems to know that it's putting out B grade material and has a bit of fun with it.  Iron Fist is just so deadly dull.

For a much better (new) martial arts show, Into the Badlands is good.  Again, it's B grade material but the writers and actors know it and have fun with it. 

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 26 Mar 2017, 08:23 pm »
I'm not a big DC guy but I really like Arrow.  Great cast and yeah, they do seem to have fun with the B movie style.

ajzepp

« Reply #13 on: 26 Mar 2017, 09:37 pm »
Four eps in, I was thinking, "eh, the critics are just being hard on this...it's not great, but it's certainly not BAD..."  But now after the sixth ep, it's losing me a bit. Not sure I'm going to finish it.

Tyson

« Reply #14 on: 20 Apr 2017, 08:39 pm »
OK, so I caved and finished watching the series.  One thing I did to make it bearable is stop paying attention to bearded Justin Timberlake, I mean Danny Rand. 

That left me free to appreciate the absolutely unhinged performance that was unfolding with Ward Meachum.  I am ever so thankful that the actor provided awesome little moments like this, sprinkled throughout the series:

wushuliu

« Reply #15 on: 20 Apr 2017, 10:32 pm »
The show unintentionally is some of the best comedy I've seen in ages.

Bemopti123

« Reply #16 on: 20 Apr 2017, 10:32 pm »
Finishing watching it and perhaps it is me but all the twists and turns, just pushed my suspension of disbelief to the extreme.  If season 2 rolls around, I will not watch it.  The unbelievable thing is that it is claimed that this series was about 15% of all VOD requests for Netflix when it first was released! Who knew this?

Bemopti123

« Reply #17 on: 20 Apr 2017, 10:33 pm »
The show unintentionally is some of the best comedy I've seen in ages.

The scene where some drunken master, defender of the hand blocked Danny from entering the warehouse in China was retro 1970s HK flick stuff.