Is AVA still doing anything with the Dyna 120 SS amp?

Otis

I have a shot at a Dyna 120 transistor amp. It's big appeal is its' mouth-watering cleanliness. It sounds pretty good too, although I know that if I had it I'd start to 'hear' the old quasi-complementary, caps-in-the-signal-path circuit.

So, is there still a practical circuit update for it, or is it just a good-looking curio?

Wayner

Re: Is AVA still doing anything with the Dyna 120 SS amp?
« Reply #1 on: 14 Mar 2017, 07:34 pm »
I have the 120 amp, now called the 170. The entire guts are ripped out, nothing useful in there. Mine is called the Insight+ 170, do not know if Frank took it any farther then that. Listening to it right now as a surround amp.

Wayner

avahifi

« Reply #2 on: 14 Mar 2017, 08:03 pm »
Yes, we still do completely rebuild the old Dyna ST-120.  Replace everything inside including the power transformer with new AVA circuits.  Great 90W/ch amplifier.  Rebuild cost is $899.

Actually I have a brand new Insight+ 170 in a decent Dyna ST-120 chassis available right now.  Since we got it for free from an old client and it already had the transformer replaced from an earlier AVA circuit set, it is available for $795.

Here is a link to it on our used AVA equipment web page.

http://avahifi.com/products/quick-ship-products/used-equipment

Frank

Otis

« Reply #3 on: 15 Mar 2017, 01:20 am »
THanks gents, good to know. This increases the appeal of the 120 considerably!

Wayner

« Reply #4 on: 15 Mar 2017, 02:17 am »
BTW, its nicer sounding then the 120 ever was and a lot more stable.......

avahifi

« Reply #5 on: 15 Mar 2017, 09:10 pm »
The Insight+ 170 amplifier sold today.  No more of them until we come across another good Dyna 120 chassis.  Listed for only 2 days.

Frank

SoCalWJS

« Reply #6 on: 22 Mar 2017, 12:11 am »
This thread reminded me that I still have 2 ST 120's shoved into the corner of a closet somewhere. Bridged to mono for my old setup while I was in College (after I worked at a Stereo Store for awhile). Handled the bottom end of my stacked, bi-amped Advents.

I really miss that system sometimes. It was so easy to listen to.