Techron 5530 Power Supply Amplifier and Horn Loaded Speakers

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
I'm hoping one or more viewers are familiar with this model. Until 17 hours ago, I wasn't aware it even existed. The guy who owns it mentioned Crown amps, and I see references to Crown in a Google search, so I wonder if some (one?) of Crown's amplifiers is actually a Techron in disguise? Anyone?

Yesterday, I got an unexpected opportunity to visit a Taiwan based speaker manufacturer's showroom. It was unexpected because my wife suddenly allowed me some free time after our medical checkups at a Taipei hospital. I called the showroom's number and chatted with the owner of the company. He agreed to meet me for an audition in his showroom. In many ways, the phone call and audition felt just like calling anyone of (or visiting) the owners of the various businesses showcased here on AC. I think the guy mentioned having 8 employees - some of whom are not full-time.

This particular business specializes in horn speakers based on some old JBL designs, I believe. Waveguides are wood and very robust in my opinion. Until yesterday, I had very little exposure to such speakers. With the exception of his largest model, all his speakers are 2-way designs. He started with a 12" woofer design to which we listened for a good hour. Then on to an improved 12" design that he sells more than any other model. Finally, for the last hour or so, we listened to his 15" woofer models. These last sounded better than the 12" designs and left me with a happy glow once it came time to say goodbye. I'll try to post pics of the models I listened to. I'd like to read any comments people have about them.

Before I post the pics, I'd like to talk a bit about his system. He said the amp put out 150w/channel. I actually found specs online that tell me 155w/channel into 8 Ohms (not quibbling over 5 watts, mind you). His preamp was a rack mountable design that was only 1" or maybe 1.5" tall. The name was something like 'Mecron', but I didn't snap a pic, so I can only rely on my less than stellar memory. Both were SS and he insisted SS amp/preamp was best suited for his speakers. I didn't try to argue that point, but I did tell him my system is SS amp and tube preamp. [He immediately tried to tell me how the preamp would color the music to which I politely said nada.] The source was his MacBook Pro feeding into his DAC (forgot already which brand). He used Canare speaker cables and power cords.

Just in case his potential customers ask to hear his speakers powered by tube amps, he's got a Melody integrated and a pair of monoblock amps waiting to be powered up. We did not try them out.

The first 12" model $100k NTD/$3k USD:

http://www.lals-audio.com.tw/eng/product/product.asp?smenutitle=Classical+12+SE&book_id=113&hot=&Category1_ID=473&Category2_ID=478&anclasspro=&nclasspro=A035&MenuTitle=Classical+Series&pagetitle=Classical+12+SE

The second 12" model $168,000 NTD/$5,500 USD:

http://www.lals-audio.com.tw/eng/product/product.asp?smenutitle=Neo%2DClassical+12&book_id=116&hot=&Category1_ID=460&Category2_ID=470&anclasspro=&nclasspro=A035&MenuTitle=Neo%2DClassical+Series&pagetitle=Neo%2DClassical+12

The 15" model $268,000 NTD/$8,800 USD:

http://www.lals-audio.com.tw/eng/product/product.asp?smenutitle=Neo%2DClassical+15&book_id=117&hot=&Category1_ID=460&Category2_ID=471&anclasspro=&nclasspro=A035&MenuTitle=Neo%2DClassical+Series&pagetitle=Neo%2DClassical+15

It may take a while before it happens because of our travel plans, but I will return to his showroom with my gear to get a better idea of how it fits with his speakers. He did not offer to ship his speakers to my home for an audition - no surprise there.

I've read that poorly designed horn loaded speakers can cause listener fatigue. I didn't notice fatigue after nearly three hours of listening and discussion, and these speakers do not appear to be poorly designed - just the opposite IMHO. I also don't know how they'd sound in my listening room, but there were no acoustic treatments in his room and there are none in mine. I enjoyed the sound enough that it's made me take a step back to wonder if I want to follow through with my original plan of purchasing speakers from Salk, Daedalus, Selah, or a couple other choices and shipping them over at great expense. There's at least one other domestic speaker manufacturer that warrants an audition or two before I try to make a decision.  I could buy pretty impressive speakers here. TO BE DETERMINED.

Thanks for looking, and I encourage thoughts and opinions from viewers.

Michael

Edit:

Duh. I forgot to say more about my listening impressions. The music/performers seemed closer to me/more forward than I'm accustomed to with the 'usual' box speakers. Midrange was oh so clear and real sounding. I was reminded of the sound that Aldcoll's Daedalus Pans produce and the Daniel Hertz speakers I've heard at the Taipei Audio Fests. The soundstage was noticeably less distinct than from box speakers or OB speakers. Bass was not deep nor was it lacking. I really enjoyed the sound. I enjoyed my experience enough that I will return with my equipment for another audition.

srb

Re: Techron 5530 Power Supply Amplifier and Horn Loaded Speakers
« Reply #1 on: 28 Feb 2017, 04:23 am »
Searching on Amazon, I only find a used dusty and dirty one that says unavailable

https://www.amazon.com/Techron-Power-Supply-Amplifier-T4514/dp/B00IUP1AHO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1488255426&sr=8-2&keywords=techron+amplifier

and of the 5 photos posted, this is one of them:

Steve

srb

« Reply #2 on: 28 Feb 2017, 04:55 am »
Techron was a division of Crown International, Inc.  Here's a cut sheet on the 7540 power amplifier.

http://www.aetechron.com/pdf/service/7540.pdf

Steve

mresseguie

« Reply #3 on: 28 Feb 2017, 05:02 am »
Steve,

Thank you. Any idea on what sort of amp quality this is? By this I mean "Is it something like the Crown XLS 1500 (but much less powerful), or is it more like a Nuprime ST-10, or an NCore 400 series amp, or something else entirely? I can't possibly tell by reading specs.

Why would a speaker manufacturer choose to use this amp over so many other choices?

Michael

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #4 on: 28 Feb 2017, 05:26 am »
Old Crowns were beastly things and known for being very reliable. They would be class a/b, as there was no class D back then (or at least nothing worth writing about). For a long time, Crown/Crest/QSC were the top picks for roadies who needed good reliable gear for cheap and had strong backs to haul everything around.

I'm pretty sure this is a Crown Power Line Four. You can see the full manual and better specs here:
http://www.crownaudio.com/en/products/power-line-series

I believe at one point that was one of their top models.

Rusty Jefferson

Glad you had a good experience with your visit to this dealer, and to horn based speakers.  Horns done well can do a lot of things right. 

If you'd like to learn more about 2/3/4 way horn based designs, I'd encourage a visit to the Lansing Heritage website.  There's factory, diy, design, etc. Great resource.

As to your question of the amplifier, I'm in the camp that believes well designed amplifiers with high input impedance, low output impedance, that have flat frequency response from 20hz-20khz, pretty much are indistinguishable audibly.  These would generally be solid state amplifiers, and his likely will sound the same as yours.  It is correct (imo) the source components like your tube preamp, DAC, and cables are more likely to color the sound than differences between his/your amplifier if they meet the criteria above.

Many people prefer the way SS amplifiers will control the woofers better (than transformer coupled tube amps) with speaker designs like this, and many prefer potentially smoother or warmer top end from using tube amps with horns. That's just listener preference.

.......Duh. I forgot to say more about my listening impressions. The music/performers seemed closer to me/more forward than I'm accustomed to with the 'usual' box speakers. Midrange was oh so clear and real sounding. I was reminded of the sound that Aldcoll's Daedalus Pans produce and the Daniel Hertz speakers I've heard at the Taipei Audio Fests. The soundstage was noticeably less distinct than from box speakers or OB speakers. Bass was not deep nor was it lacking. I really enjoyed the sound. I enjoyed my experience enough that I will return with my equipment for another audition.
I think these are very accurate and valid impressions of 2 way horn speakers, in general. Clear and open with great imaging, but lacking in 3 dimensional and holographic soundstaging, especially compared to boxless, and dipole speakers.  Also, articulate, but not deep bass. The speakers do appear to be very nicely made. Quite handsome. I didn't like, and wouldn't consider horn speakers for many years, and then I heard a pair I really liked.  Had them for several years now.  I use a SS amp and tube pre/buffer

mresseguie

Thanks, Rusty.

As it turns out, in a totally unrelated situation, I have been invited to an audiophile G2G this Saturday. The guy who invited me is my wife's long-time friend's husband, who is an engineer and an audiophile. The G2G is to be hosted by a man I've never met. Just by chance, he owns a pair of the Neo Classical 12" horn speakers that I got to audition the other day. Hot Damn!

I chatted with him on FB Messenger last night. His preamp is an MBL preamp copy. Now that's interesting. I wonder what other copies are floating around Taiwan? How is its SQ? I'll find out in three days. I'm going to take my D Sachs Model 2 preamp for the gathering.