Turntable

cwc68

Turntable
« on: 21 Feb 2017, 08:32 pm »
Longtime audiophile.
I have a problem with the wiring on my Basis turntable (20 yrs old) and instead of repairing it and am going to move on.
I have a budget of $2000.
Like VPI and Clearaudio at this point, but open to suggestions.
I visited this site and saw I missed a VPI that looked perfect in my neighborhood, but I know I will find another.

CWC

brooklyn

Re: Turntable
« Reply #1 on: 23 Feb 2017, 06:27 am »
Welcome to the Audio Circle cwc68.. You might have seen my VPI Scout that I had for sale..
I never used a Clearaudio turntable but I did love the Scout. If I got back into vinyl I would
get another VPI in a heartbeat.. Good luck with your search..

JakeJ

« Reply #2 on: 23 Feb 2017, 01:53 pm »
Welcom to AC CWC!  You already have the dreaded disease "audio nervosa", hope we can soothe your symptoms.

Are you looking for new or used?  Without revealing your home address where are you located?  Just area,please.  It would allow us to refine our searches.

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 23 Feb 2017, 02:11 pm »
Welcome!

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #4 on: 23 Feb 2017, 03:06 pm »
Longtime audiophile.
I have a problem with the wiring on my Basis turntable (20 yrs old) and instead of repairing it and am going to move on.
I have a budget of $2000.
Like VPI and Clearaudio at this point, but open to suggestions.
I visited this site and saw I missed a VPI that looked perfect in my neighborhood, but I know I will find another.

CWC

What model Basis?  From what I remember there isn't any wiring to the plinth/platter unless you have the vacuum platter.  Motor should be replaceable if faulty.  Are you talking about tonearm wiring?  I am just thinking you are not going to do much better with a 2k budget to improve on the plinth/platter/bearing than the Basis. 

cwc68

« Reply #5 on: 23 Feb 2017, 05:05 pm »
Model 1400, so their entry table.
And yes the problem is wiring inside the tone arm.
Do you know someone who would rewire the arm for me?
I have enjoyed the table.
Motor platter ect are still mint.

I live in southwest Missouri,  Springfield/Joplin area

And yes I would have driven to Tulsa and picked up the VPI in a heart beat, just a day late.  :|

bacobits1

« Reply #6 on: 23 Feb 2017, 05:18 pm »
I had the 1400 a great table! The first thing I did was rewire the RB300 that was on it.
I used the Incognito kit, excellent! I have done 3 Regas with these kits. around $300 and a lot cheaper and much better sounding than a new Rega tone arm, from the orig Rega RB300.

http://www.britaudio.com/
Also sells the kit and does re-wire.
You buy the kit I'll re-wire it for you.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 23 Feb 2017, 05:44 pm »
I had the 1400 a great table! The first thing I did was rewire the RB300 that was on it.
I used the Incognito kit, excellent! I have done 3 Regas with these kits. around $300 and a lot cheaper and much better sounding than a new Rega tone arm, from the orig Rega RB300.

http://www.britaudio.com/
Also sells the kit and does re-wire.
You buy the kit I'll re-wire it for you.

I was going to suggest the same.  Stock arm is a modified Rega arm with a fat arm base to fit the hole in the plinth. Rewire is definitely worth the small change to improve it.  I would put the rewired Basis 1400 up against any 2k table out there now.   If you got the itch to spend the money you can get a new tonearm.  With jury-rigged "washer" or shims other Rega arms can be used.  Britaudio probably has a "kit" to fit their Moth tone arms to Basis if you ask for it. 

P.S. British Pound is at historic low, £1.25 to $1.  That should reflect on their prices.

cwc68

« Reply #8 on: 23 Feb 2017, 07:52 pm »
I don't have any experience or expertise in this area.
Is rewireing relatively easy?
Does the kit come with good instructions or are there detailed instructions on the web/ YouTube?
I am kind of excited to get my basis back and running all of the sudden  :P

woodsyi

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 23 Feb 2017, 09:00 pm »
I don't have any experience or expertise in this area.
Is rewireing relatively easy?
Does the kit come with good instructions or are there detailed instructions on the web/ YouTube?
I am kind of excited to get my basis back and running all of the sudden  :P

It's not difficult but it's not quite that easy either.  Instructions come with it but there were some learning curves.  I messed up mine and had to turn for help.   :oops:
bacobits1 is volunteering to do the work for you.  He can be trusted as he has been here for a long time and is a fine contributor.  He's done 3 --  I would trust him.  PM him and you guys can work out the details. 

Or you can give it a shot. 

Britaudio will also do it for you at a cost if you ship your arm to them. 

I would have bacobits1 do it for me if it were me.

JakeJ

« Reply #10 on: 24 Feb 2017, 02:09 am »
Great advice, guys.  Save that Basis!

cwc68

« Reply #11 on: 24 Feb 2017, 03:53 am »
I agree.  I am sending my RB300 out for rewiring tomorrow.  Letting the pro do it.  Let you know when I get it back.  This group has been a huge help.  Thanks sooooo much.
The Basis will live and play again  8)

bacobits1

« Reply #12 on: 24 Feb 2017, 10:03 am »
Ahh good choice.
Hell of a lot cheaper than a new table.
Next step up would be the audio mods arm from Britain.
Should fit that mounting hole. Nice stuff.
The rewire is a good investment.

This is a very good upgrade also
http://www.ebay.com/itm/J-A-MICHELL-TECNOWEIGHT-for-REGA-MOTH-ORIGIN-LIVE-/330481553557
« Last Edit: 24 Feb 2017, 11:13 am by bacobits1 »

Dieterle Tool

• I don't know what it is, but I wunt it.
« Reply #13 on: 24 Feb 2017, 02:28 pm »
I think you did the right thing..." I am just thinking you are not going to do much better with a 2k budget to improve on the plinth/platter/bearing than the Basis."

+1 Woodsyi. 

cwc68

« Reply #14 on: 24 Feb 2017, 04:46 pm »
Thanks for all the advice guys.
So I have only spent $300 of my $2000 budget. 
I checked out arms bacobits1 suggested and I think that I want to get this arm back and set up and maybe in 6 months a year upgrade to a new arm.
I think I wil get more from a cartridge upgrade at this point.
Suggestions for cartridges in the $500-$1000 range.

bacobits1

« Reply #15 on: 24 Feb 2017, 04:50 pm »
What are you using for a Phono Pre?
What is your cart now?
MM, MC, High or low output?
We can spend your money.  :lol:

cwc68

« Reply #16 on: 24 Feb 2017, 08:54 pm »
Ortofon Quintet Red
AVA Vision

I tend to like detail and a big soundstage .  You know, the stand up base is 6ft behind and 2 ft to the left of the mic, recorded live.
I have always chosen MC.  I have never owned a MM.  I think because the reviews praise the detail they can hear in a MC.
I tend to listen to Jazz and classic rock.  Some classical, but much less than former. 
I think with the upgraded wiring and my Basis, the weak link is the cartridge, agree?

bacobits1

« Reply #17 on: 24 Feb 2017, 10:18 pm »
The Vision is supposed to be good and is certainly adequate for adjustments needed for most cart's.
You may want to move up the Quintet line, The Black has a Shibata stylus better and less winding's and would provide more detail  all for a marginally up cost too. Tough to recommend Cartridges since they are so personal. The new Hana Carts are interesting and reasonable.

http://www.needledoctor.com/HANA-MC-Phono-Cartridge-Shibata?sc=2&category=62045

A nice Dynavector 10X5 is now up to $650? Ridiculous! That was always a $350 cart. add 300 more you are in the 20X2 territiory. Shop everything around I think Needle Doctor prices are high on certain stuff but that's me.

Get the arm back, setup and listen first to the Red.
Don't overlook that Michelle weight it improves tracking and bass on Rega arms.
After that your done. LOL!
Yea right, your never done.

I'm sure others will come up with more.
I use a AT33 PTGII here and a AT OC9MKII, Ortofon X5MC

Of course let us know what ya think.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
« Reply #18 on: 1 Mar 2017, 04:59 pm »
Ortofon Quintet Red
AVA Vision

I tend to like detail and a big soundstage .  You know, the stand up base is 6ft behind and 2 ft to the left of the mic, recorded live.
I have always chosen MC.  I have never owned a MM.  I think because the reviews praise the detail they can hear in a MC.
I tend to listen to Jazz and classic rock.  Some classical, but much less than former. 
I think with the upgraded wiring and my Basis, the weak link is the cartridge, agree?

I have a Quintet black on one set up right now.  It's in there while my Urushi is in the shop.  It's a very good pickup that has everything you want.  It is accurate and musical at the same time.  It doesn't have the finest detail or that extra richness in texture that you can get from some uber pickups but it's right on their heels.  I think it's a good value and probably a good fit with your "improved" ensemble. 

BTW, Frank announced improvement on Vision stage.  You might consider that upgrade too.

Also, you can get a little more brightness if you load a little higher on resistance.  Too much and the sound starts breaking up.  Play around with your resistive loading.

P.S.  I think Quintet Black is better than Hana MC,  at least in my experience.

cwc68

« Reply #19 on: 2 Mar 2017, 09:10 pm »
Thanks woodsi.  My arm in in the mail.  Should get it back in the next few days, I am going to set up what I have then reconsider.  I appreciate your input, both of those are on my sort list of upgrades.  Your recommendation is going into the bank. I will keep everyone here up to date on my progress and ever changing setup.  Have money will spend.....LOL :duh: