What is your favorite finish for the Omega speaker line?

HiFiJeff

• Restricted
  • Money Never Sleeps!
I know this seem like a REALLY silly question because obviously for you owners, your favorite finish is what you purchased. And this is so subjective but I will be getting my Omega 3XRS HO 1.5 dual driver speakers soon and am having a REAL hard time with choosing which level 2 finish I want. The Ebony was my first choice but man, that real walnut is very nice. Very rich looking and classy. What are your thoughts? 

Beatlebum

Re: What is your favorite finish for the Omega speaker line?
« Reply #1 on: 6 Feb 2017, 10:46 pm »
Jeff,

I believe the Quartered Macassar Ebony super alnico HO monitors on Louis' site are my actual speakers and I can tell you they look great and even better in person.

Good luck,

Tim

HiFiJeff

• Restricted
  • Money Never Sleeps!
« Reply #2 on: 6 Feb 2017, 11:15 pm »
Jeff,

I believe the Quartered Macassar Ebony super alnico HO monitors on Louis' site are my actual speakers and I can tell you they look great and even better in person.

Good luck,

Tim

That's my first choice.

Nocturne79

« Reply #3 on: 6 Feb 2017, 11:25 pm »
I am fan of the eko walnut, its my current HO monitor finish so kind of biased lol

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
« Reply #4 on: 7 Feb 2017, 12:09 am »
Zebrano (Zebra Wood)!

Close up.............

.....Peter

nature boy

« Reply #5 on: 7 Feb 2017, 12:22 am »
I like two-tone Omega floor-standers. Birds Eye maple front and rear with Cherry sides and top.

NB

roscoe65

« Reply #6 on: 7 Feb 2017, 02:28 am »
I own three pair of Omega speakers with different finishes.  Since I bought them secondhand I took what finishes were available.  That being said, there are no bad finishes from Omega, only different tastes.

My Omega's include:

1.  Super 3 in real Beech Veneer.  My least favorite finish.  Beech has almost no grain and a honey colored blonde finish.  It is almost like Maple but not quite.  It would match Heywood Wakefield furniture nicely though.

2.  Super Alnico Monitor in real Zebrawood veneer.  They are identical to Peter's monitors.  This is a really great finish if you want something with a striking grain like Macassar Ebony but in a lighter color.  This is the perfect finish to coordinate with lighter furnishings.

3.  Super 3U in EKO Macassar Ebony.  Great finish.  The real Macassar Ebony is my favorite finish but this is my second favorite.  These http://imgur.com/a/sTckK are my actual speakers.  They are almost identical in color and grain to these real ebony veneer cabinets http://www.ebay.com/itm/Speaker-box-for-Fostex-FE126E-pair-ebony-Bass-Reflex-Type-/111969058186?hash=item1a11e03d8a:g:rKQAAOSwMmBV6qGZ which I also own.

This is a comparison of the real Ebony http://omegaloudspeakers.com/superalnicomoni2.html and the EKO Ebony http://omegaloudspeakers.com/super3xrsekoebon.html.  The differences are largely in texture and are indistinguishable from the listening position.  I will add that the quality of installation of both finishes is identical.  There are no exposed edges and the wood veneer is thick.

I haven't seen it in person, but the "stock" finish that most appeals to me is the EKO Graphite Tweed.  It deviates from the standard wood veneer look while retaining some movement and texture.  But since a lot of Louis' work is custom in nature, if I were asking for a custom finish I would love something like the bookmatched Southern Redgum used by Devore http://www.devorefidelity.com/images/o96.jpg.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 7 Feb 2017, 05:00 pm »
Jeff,

I've had the Ebony and the Walnut and they're both beautiful.  My choice is the Walnut, and aside from being drop dead gorgeous, Walnut will be easier to fit into surrounding decor than the Ebony.  Louis' Walnut is darker than the Walnut that was so popular back in the 60s & early 70s. 
Haven't seen it in the flesh, but the EKO Walnut also looks really good.
« Last Edit: 7 Feb 2017, 07:21 pm by Canada Rob »

milford3

« Reply #8 on: 7 Feb 2017, 05:38 pm »
I have my Omega's finished in level 2 Karelian Birch Burl.  But Louis no longer offers it.  My vote is for the Real BirdsEye Maple.  Pictured below.

« Last Edit: 7 Feb 2017, 06:52 pm by milford3 »

pursuitofnow

« Reply #9 on: 7 Feb 2017, 05:42 pm »
I'm a fan of the real teak. Will be ordering super 3 high output xrs real soon to match the mcm furniture around the house.

audiomaniac

« Reply #10 on: 12 Feb 2017, 11:52 pm »
I had started another thread on finish levels but from the replies here it sounds like the Level 1 EKO finishes are a great choice!

roscoe65

« Reply #11 on: 13 Feb 2017, 12:05 am »
The Level 1 EKO finishes are excellent.  The woodgrains do not look like laminate from 3 feet away.

audiomaniac

« Reply #12 on: 13 Feb 2017, 12:44 am »
The Level 1 EKO finishes are excellent.  The woodgrains do not look like laminate from 3 feet away.

Thanks for the info. I was especially interested in your comments in this thread and the pictures of your speakers. I had A8s in Macassar Ebony and loved how they looked. Your speakers look awesome!

roscoe65

« Reply #13 on: 13 Feb 2017, 01:26 am »
In some models the difference between Level 1 and Level 2 finishes is only $100.  For those who value real wood veneer that is a bargain.  However, the laminate does have some durability advantages.