Question on input attenuation / sensitivity

montesquieu

Question on input attenuation / sensitivity
« on: 8 Jan 2017, 02:45 pm »
Hi Jason I sent email on this but possibly this is something best worked out on the forum. My first post here :)

I am an old valve guy from way back but attracted to either the ST-10, or a pair of STA-9s configured as monoblocks.

There seems to be some confusion about the input sensitivity in the specification of both of these amplifiers my preamp (an EAR 912 - bought mainly for its phono section, vinyl is my main listening but I also have an Audio Note 4.1x DAC) is very high gain - 14db. Ideal input sensitivity for me would be something around 2-2.5v.

My current amp is a very nice vintage push-pull KT88 amp that will soon be going off for a ground up restoration. Used into Tannoy Canterburys, which like all Tannoys are reasonably sensitive, but actually work best with significant current available. I am looking for a replacement during the months of restoration (could actually be best part of a year) and who knows, maybe continue with it afterwards.

It worries me that the input sensitivity of the Nuprime amps will be too much, meaning either overload or issues with not enough movement in the preamp's volume control. This is a serious issue as frankly, I find power amplifiers that are too sensitive to be a total pain and best avoided - I have some Rothwell attenuator plugs in my 'bits' box but I don't like to use them on a long-term basis.

My question is: is the input sensitivity variable? (is there a pot or some kind of attenuation build into either amplifier?) If not, might this be custom specified at time of purchase?

I see that the input sensitivity specification given for the Ref20 is 2.5v which would be perfect - however this is an amount of money that I am not prepared to spend 'unheard'. As I mentioned in an email to you I'd be keen to hear these when I visit Taiwan in April. I will also be at the High End Show in Munich in May should that not be possible.

Finally, as regarding purchase, I understand it you don't have a distributor yet in the UK which is where I'm based so I assume you would ship from Taiwan?

rustydoglim

• Facilitator
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
Re: Question on input attenuation / sensitivity
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jan 2017, 06:24 pm »
This is an update after communicating with montesquieu via email.
The gain for ST-10 can be adjusted at the factory.