2.0 Garage system - looking for ideas

I.Greyhound Fan

Re: 2.0 Garage system - looking for ideas
« Reply #20 on: 22 Nov 2016, 04:43 am »
I thought the Dayton had more "low end " but it seemed like distortion being emphasized really. Pretty lo-fi sounding and disappointing .
The SMSL is definitely clearer sounding and for the fifty so bucks I paid a better sounding C+C amp
The $99 on sale Audio Source Amp 100 I modded blows it out of the water by miles but it also costs twice as much as the SMSL unmodified . The extra mods move it a better category but then it also has a much larger footprint than either the Dayton or SMSL.

Interesting. I am using the DTA-100a with a pair of Monitor Audio S1 speakers, 89db sensitivity.  Bass is clean and tight until I turn the volume past 1/2 way.  Then things get distorted.  I am using a Van Alstine hybrid DAC via digital coax and a Denon DVD player as a source.  The little amp has nice transparency and air with a very wide sound stage.

cujobob

« Reply #21 on: 22 Nov 2016, 05:36 pm »
How about these JBL powered speakers? http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=128892.0

This. All in one solution - no amp to buy.

cody69

« Reply #22 on: 23 Nov 2016, 12:37 pm »
Chip, if you have any desire for the DIY route, I'd recommend  the Class D TPA3116 (or other) boards recommended previously by lacro & Odal3. Pairing these with a set of X-LS speakers from GR Research will make an extremely low cost system with high sound quality. I've made several of these for my shop, gazebo and basement and really enjoy them.

I'm planning to make another over the holidays and put a bluetooth receiver in it so I can use my smartphone and Pad as a source.

chip

« Reply #23 on: 7 Dec 2016, 04:15 pm »
Ok bought a used SMSL SMSL SA-60 black 60WPC Class D Digital Amplifier from a member here.

Once I receive it I will be using it with a raspberry pi/HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro running moodeaudio and drive my GR Research  N3TL until they sell. Then it will go into the garage and drive that system.
Speaker still undecided.

amekes

« Reply #24 on: 17 Jan 2017, 09:09 pm »
If you are still looking for speaker recommendations, I'm a fan of some of the 'vintage' Infinity bookshelf speakers - RS-325, RS-3000, etc.  You can probably find a pair in the $200 range on craigslist.  Might need to refoam the woofers (in which case, you'd buy for well under $200), but that's pretty easy.  I'm getting a really nice sound from a gainclone with a pair of the RS-325s.