Bryston Interconects and cables advice required

clive101

Bryston Interconects and cables advice required
« on: 13 Oct 2016, 06:11 pm »
Firstly I an new to the Hifi and looking at the interconnects - speaker cable.

I have purchased 2x7b3, bp26 preamp and mb2 speakers and a Dave Dac.

Looking at the forums and internet it would seem the cost and choice is endless.

As I have a Bryston system and I trust the product it would seem to me that their cables would suit their HiFi better than other third party brands. Bryston cable prices seems very reasonable.

Any suggestions please, as I have to start somewhere to burn in the equipment then test other cables to suit my room surrounding..?

Thanks Clive.

pmcd

Re: Bryston Interconects and cables advice required
« Reply #1 on: 13 Oct 2016, 06:53 pm »
hey Clive nice choice in equipment!!        I have 2x 7BSST2 and BP26 and ATC SCM50's that are comparable to your PMC's             I would personally give the BRYSTON cables a shot as I opted for Audioquest Balanced interconnects and speaker cable, all were a bit $$$ having said that you have some great gear and I would give the Bryston cables a shot considering the price point       you wont get hurt on them even if you decide to change them down the road.   

zoom25

« Reply #2 on: 13 Oct 2016, 06:59 pm »
For interconnects, I use the Mogami 3173 AES cable for my analog runs. It's the best cable they have (lowest capacitance and heavy guage) and is neutral. I use it on my Bryston/Amphion rig.

clive101

« Reply #3 on: 13 Oct 2016, 07:15 pm »
Thanks for the advice, I stumbled into the choice as I had a set LCD4 Audeze headphones and asked a dealer to set up a Hifi system the same quality, but thanks for the comment. OK I give the Bryston a miss
What is the exact model of balanced cables do you have pmcd..?

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #4 on: 13 Oct 2016, 08:23 pm »
Many of the Mogami AES digital cables have a drain wire rather than a braided shield. The drain wire makes them less suitable for a balanced analog interconnect.

zoom25

« Reply #5 on: 13 Oct 2016, 09:12 pm »
The 3173 is their top AES and analog cable and suitable for runs up to a 1000 feet.

http://www.mogamicable.com/pdf/MogamiCatalog.pdf

"Specifications for some AES cables, especially for
capacitance, can look very attractive for analog
transmission. However, the materials and design of many
AES cables don’t perform well in high performance analog
transmission. Mogami Gold AES cable is designed with
the same type of shielding and conductors as our world
renowned analog cables, in a special low capacitance version
that fully meets the stringent AES requirements. Gold AES
will perform exceptionally for the most demanding high end
analog recording and monitoring where transparency, detail
and frequency extension are critical."

I've personally been using the 3173 and 2549 in long digital and analog runs and haven't run into problems.

schmidtmike76

« Reply #6 on: 13 Oct 2016, 09:18 pm »
Ive had wireworld to Cardas Golden Reference to Crystal cable, those were the best by far.  I did have to sell everything off sometime ago and re loaded with all bryston cables. Honestly for the price I have absolutely no itis to upgrade.  I will give Bryston cables the big thumb up without disappointment

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #7 on: 13 Oct 2016, 09:45 pm »
For a balanced analog interconnect, Mogami #2791 or #3284 would be better choices.
Or any of their other Shielded Twisted Pair cables with a braided shield.

zoom25

« Reply #8 on: 13 Oct 2016, 10:10 pm »
For a balanced analog interconnect, Mogami #2791 or #3284 would be better choices.
Or any of their other Shielded Twisted Pair cables with a braided shield.

None of those have the extended top end that 2549 or 3173 have. I've had very long talks with Mogami distributors and engineers about this very topic. They have explicitly told me that if fidelity is the number one concern, then 3173 is their top cable. They have absolutely nothing better than the 3173 to offer for a balanced interconnect...their words. Mogami distributors have told me that their AES cables have been used the most to wire up studios. Bob Katz and Jim Williams both recommend the Mogami AES over the analog counterparts for same reasons.  Aside from Mogami themself and top engineers/designers, I can speak from my experience that the 3173 absolutely has zero problem with noise in both studios and certainly NOT at home. I use runs anywhere from 10-50 feet.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #9 on: 13 Oct 2016, 10:41 pm »
Next time you talk to them, ask them about the SCIN problems that a cable like that will have.
Or then maybe it's the added SCIN that you like.

maplegrovemusic

• Please Be kind to your ears .... Treat your room
« Reply #10 on: 13 Oct 2016, 10:44 pm »
I am confused about this gold aes . i have been using the studio gold analog interconnects for years . This aes cable you describe is for digital signals no ?

maplegrovemusic

« Reply #11 on: 13 Oct 2016, 10:45 pm »
no numbers are associated with the Mogami studio gold analog packaging i have .

maplegrovemusic

« Reply #12 on: 13 Oct 2016, 10:46 pm »
I am confused about this gold aes . i have been using the studio gold analog interconnects for years . This aes cable you describe is for digital signals no ?
Whats scin please ?

srb

maplegrovemusic

« Reply #14 on: 13 Oct 2016, 11:18 pm »
What sonic attributes are associated with scin if possible to descibe?

zoom25

« Reply #15 on: 14 Oct 2016, 01:11 am »

The 3173 is a AES 110 ohms cable, which works for digital. I use one between my BDP-1 and my DAC. However, this cable is just as good, if not better, as the gold analog only (2549) due to lower capacitance and heavier gauge.

zoom25

« Reply #16 on: 14 Oct 2016, 01:12 am »
Next time you talk to them, ask them about the SCIN problems that a cable like that will have.
Or then maybe it's the added SCIN that you like.

I'll ask them and see what they say.

pmcd

« Reply #17 on: 14 Oct 2016, 04:45 am »
Thanks for the advice, I stumbled into the choice as I had a set LCD4 Audeze headphones and asked a dealer to set up a Hifi system the same quality, but thanks for the comment. OK I give the Bryston a miss
What is the exact model of balanced cables do you have pmcd..?

Clive I'm using Audioquest - WATER Balanced Cables and ASPEN Speaker Cables

martydmnt

« Reply #18 on: 14 Oct 2016, 01:22 pm »
Firstly I an new to the Hifi and looking at the interconnects - speaker cable.

I use Mogami W3103 for speaker wire, and Mogami W2528 for interconnects. I don't have any balanced or digital connections in my system. It's sanely priced cable. I haven't tried Bryston's cables.

There's a lot of snake oil products out there in the cable world, so beware. Spending time and energy (and maybe some money) on room setup and treatment will pay back bigger dividends.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #19 on: 14 Oct 2016, 02:41 pm »
Currently using an Audio Sensibility Statement silver OCC AES cable. On BDP-1 to BDA-1. First-generation, not the newer (more pricey) generation. Has customized Furutech gold-pinned connectors. Well-built for a low cost relative to other silver OCC's.