Bamboo flooring - underlayment ?

chip

Bamboo flooring - underlayment ?
« on: 5 Oct 2016, 04:32 pm »
Is a 15 lb felt paper enough between the subfloor and bamboo flooring for an install?

Or is it better to get something like one of the following -
http://www.greenbuildingsupply.com/MP-Global-QuietWalk-Underlayment#PowerReviewsAnchor

http://www.lumberliquidators.com/ll/c/Premium-Underlayment-Sq-Ft-BELLAWOOD-BELLAPREM/10023615

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
Re: Bamboo flooring - underlayment ?
« Reply #1 on: 5 Oct 2016, 04:46 pm »
Isn't that stuff usually used for roofing? I think you'd be better off sticking with proper underlay and stuff that's designed to handle a lot of repetitive compression.

WGH

« Reply #2 on: 5 Oct 2016, 05:15 pm »
I used QuietWalk and satisfied with the results. My sub-floor is a concrete slab and the engineered maple is glued edge-to-edge and floating.

Back in the '70's and '80's when we laid solid wood floors over a wood sub-floor we used 15 lb. felt in between, I don't know what is recommended these days.
When I have a question I always check with the experts at Fine Homebuilding:
http://www.finehomebuilding.com/?s=wood+floor

Wayne

Big Red Machine

« Reply #3 on: 5 Oct 2016, 06:29 pm »
The fancy rolls of underlayment will really cost you. I use 1/4 inch thick OC pink fanfold insulation in the basements for cushioning. It only has R value of 1 but at 200 ft2 = $50, it's cheaper than the rolls (but thicker). Just an FYI.

mikeeastman

« Reply #4 on: 5 Oct 2016, 06:46 pm »
Felt paper is made with petroleum products not good to use inside, it's going to gas off.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #5 on: 5 Oct 2016, 07:41 pm »
Skip the building paper unless you like the smell of asphalt. It is/was used years ago under traditional hardwood floors but really isn't ideal. Rosin paper would be it's modern equivalent for nail down tongue and groove board flooring.

Better pads make quieter floors, especially on suspended framing.

I'd be looking to mfg. of flooring for their recs. Is this a floating floor?

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #6 on: 5 Oct 2016, 07:49 pm »
Is a 15 lb felt paper enough between the subfloor and bamboo flooring for an install?

Or is it better to get something like one of the following -
http://www.greenbuildingsupply.com/MP-Global-QuietWalk-Underlayment#PowerReviewsAnchor

http://www.lumberliquidators.com/ll/c/Premium-Underlayment-Sq-Ft-BELLAWOOD-BELLAPREM/10023615

For the couple of bamboo floors I put down from Lumber Liquidators we used their premium underlayment.   I am sure there are other alteneratives, but it worked well and it was easy to grab everything from one place.

BTW, I love my bamboo floors!

George

chip

« Reply #7 on: 5 Oct 2016, 08:10 pm »
Nail down floor.

the installer usually  uses 15 lb felt pad. My brother in law used felt pad for same for his recent install.

My neighbor is doing glue down and got the premium underlayment.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #8 on: 5 Oct 2016, 08:33 pm »
Nail down floor.

the installer usually  uses 15 lb felt pad. My brother in law used felt pad for same for his recent install.

My neighbor is doing glue down and got the premium underlayment.

All the more to check mfgs. recommendations...nailed floors usually don't want pads like floating floors. They essentially are looking for a "slip sheet" which is provided by building paper or rosin paper. Straying from their recs invites problems you don't want. There may be some hybrid floors that recommend otherwise.

Can't speak to you BILs install.

Your neighbor is going to glue his floor to felt pad sitting on top of subfloor? Perhaps it's something I don't know about, but this would not be typical.

chip

« Reply #9 on: 5 Oct 2016, 08:51 pm »
I think it is subfloor/plywood/underlayment/flooring.

Here is what it says

UNDERLAYMENTS FOR SOLID BAMBOO
Depending on the application, our flooring can be installed (nailed, glued or *floating) over an approved underlayment to meet the needs of customers, building specifiers and condominium associations desiring greater thermal insulation and sound isolation qualities. Note that when using an approved underlayment, pad or cushion there can always be slight movement, deflection or friction, squeaks or floor noise with any application. Floor noise is normal, to be expected and will vary from one installation type to the next or related to sub-floor type, flatness, deflection, and or related to the type of flooring material, species, the fasteners, relative humidity and the amount of topside pressure applied to the flooring. Therefore for these reasons floor noise is not considered a product or manufacturer defect.
UNDERLAYMENTS

(Nail down)
White Silicon Vapor Shield®,
15 lb felt paper do not overlap seems under pre-finished flooring
Black asphalt saturated Kraft paper overlap seams 2” to 4”
Bellawood Platinum, install (film side up) Flooring minimum (≥3/8”thickness)
Bellawood Premium, install (film side up) Flooring minimum (≥3/8”thickness)
Eco Silent Sound, install (film side down) Flooring minimum (≥3/8”thickness)
Dream Home Insulayment, install (smooth side up) Flooring minimum (≥3/8”thickness)
Dream Home Cork (3mm), install (smooth side up) Flooring minimum (≥3/8”thickness)
Do not use plastic poly-sheeting over wood subfloors, wood components need to breathe

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
« Reply #10 on: 5 Oct 2016, 09:54 pm »
The Whole under layment product and usage was started by the MP Global folks.  http://mpglobalproducts.com/
The Original idea was if a fluid was spilled ( and many of today's products are approved for spill-able area) they would allow the moisture to wick out the edge as they have a poly backing.  The under layment is suppose to run wider then the floor and then be covered by the molding. ( See the MP video https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYztlUKjqEqpqWcyRP6iYew )

I revived this info in my first floating floor.  I ended up talking to MP global as theirs was the only product at the time.  I also learned that a distant cousin with the same name owned the company.  Man was that fun calling the help line.

The whole floor is a system much the same as siding a house with a weather membrane suited for your environment and proper weather stripping.

I have no financial ties in this company nor do I install floor's  I just have a fork in a tree :scratch:

Alan