Front vs. Rear USB ports + Flash Drives vs. Hard Drives

zoom25

This past month, I haven't touched the Bryston BDP-1 player and was mostly using the computer (Audirvana Plus) to listen and catalogue music. I was excited to get back to listening via the Bryston. I let it warm up for an hour as usual and then plugged in a USB flash drive into the front port without thinking about it. I was actually quite surprised as the same files through the computer sounded better/fuller and powerful. The Bryston sounded thinner. BTW all my files are in WAV.

PNY Flash Drive 128 GB https://www.amazon.ca/PNY-Turbo-Performance-Drive-P-FD128TBOP-GE/dp/B00FE2N1WS

I remembered the rear ports have more power, so I plugged the same flash drive into the rear port and it sounded fuller right off the bat. However, something was still missing. It wasn't as exciting as I remembered. So I plugged in my usual 2 TB Western Digital USB 3.0 portable external hard drive as well into the rear port.

I have a few reference tracks that I know quite well to test out things like grain, dynamics, extended treble. I loaded the same WAV song into Manic Moose twice, once from each drive. I played music through each of them so I know they were active and had no lags during testing as my intervals were 15-30 seconds.

I found the hard drive to be more clear and extended up top in the upper treble. More importantly, the background was blacker with the hard drive.

To dampen the hard drive's vibrations, I place the hard drive on top of a rectangular box that has been filled with rice. I can post pics if someone is confused or cares about these things.

My thoughts:
- The flash drive should consume the least power and has no moving parts, although a LED blinks in it (possible noise?)
- Read speeds: The hard drive is faster in both USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 connections. Although with how the Bryston buffers, I don't know if the slower read speed of the PNY makes a difference?

For me, the absolute best sound I've gotten out of BDP-1 has been from a damped hard drive. BTW I have tried other flash drives in the past and it sounded the same as the current one. The hard drive is still the winner. I would love to be able to have a bigger pool of hard/flash drives for comparison, but currently, the hard drive satisfies me quite well.

P.S. Bryston must think they have some of the Looney Looniest customers. :green:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Front vs. Rear USB ports + Flash Drives vs. Hard Drives
« Reply #1 on: 15 Sep 2016, 12:09 am »
Hi Folks

Try mounting a rotary drive inside the BDP2.

James

zoom25

« Reply #2 on: 15 Sep 2016, 01:37 am »
Current sample size:

Ghetto DIY Dampening:

zoom25

« Reply #3 on: 15 Sep 2016, 01:40 am »
Hi Folks

Try mounting a rotary drive inside the BDP2.

James

Hmmm, I don't know if that's sarcasm, but I'll pretend it's not. Why would you want to introduce vibrations inside the BDP? How would a mounted drive compare against an external drive. Is the method of connection different when mounted inside?

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #4 on: 15 Sep 2016, 04:59 am »
Hmmm, I don't know if that's sarcasm, but I'll pretend it's not. Why would you want to introduce vibrations inside the BDP? How would a mounted drive compare against an external drive. Is the method of connection different when mounted inside?

I reckon it all has to do with the communications protocols. USB is really not the greatest; it's a multipurpose connection protocol and there's sort of a "translation" step in sending data. The hard drive eSATA connections are more "pure" in that sense.

zoom25

« Reply #5 on: 15 Sep 2016, 06:08 am »
I reckon it all has to do with the communications protocols. USB is really not the greatest; it's a multipurpose connection protocol and there's sort of a "translation" step in sending data. The hard drive eSATA connections are more "pure" in that sense.

Ahhh okay gotcha. I know it would be somewhat unpractical, but it could be fun to try a hard drive connected by eSATA that resides out of the Bryston player to avoid vibrations.

I will say that Audirvana Plus sounds better on the Macbook Pro that has a SSD vs. the other Macbook Pro or iMac that has a hard drive. Of course, there are other differences, but each of the 3 devices are very well equipped in RAM (8-16 GB) and processors (top i7).

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #6 on: 15 Sep 2016, 07:06 am »
If you're worried about vibrations, why not get a solid state drive?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #7 on: 15 Sep 2016, 10:02 am »
Hi

Yes I have SSD drives mounted internally on my BDP's - the internal bypasses any USB processing.

james

« Last Edit: 15 Sep 2016, 11:32 am by James Tanner »

Tympani

« Reply #8 on: 15 Sep 2016, 12:17 pm »
Hi Zoom,

There was a discussion on this very issue a while back. I found subtle but reproducible differences between drives and power supplies. I have always noted less dynamic sound from flash drives compared to hard drives (either spinning or SSD) I also suspect it's due to power and noise (ie. "hash" not "hiss"). My current setup is a BDP-2 with IAD upgrade, and BDA-3. I have an external 2TB Samsung EVO-850Pro, connected to BDP by a USB-Micro Wireworld cable. BTW, like you I also find WAV superior to FLAC.

Here's a link to the discussion on the BDP-2 forum: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=110296.1400

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #9 on: 15 Sep 2016, 01:28 pm »

Ghetto DIY Dampening:

Would you get tighter bass and clearer highs if you reduced the depth of that sandbox?
 :lol:

zoom25

« Reply #10 on: 15 Sep 2016, 08:56 pm »
If you're worried about vibrations, why not get a solid state drive?

I read somewhere that some SSDs might be electrically noisier. Although, so far I've only had positive experiences with SSDs in Macbook Pro. Flash stick drives have been underwhelming. Perhaps, I'll eventually look into external SSDs for music, as the BDP-1 can't do internal eSATA drivers.

Also, the newer top of the range HDDs by Western Digital are much better built and quitter than their previous iterations spanning from the last ten years that I've bought and owned on a bi-annual basis.

zoom25

« Reply #11 on: 15 Sep 2016, 08:57 pm »
Hi

Yes I have SSD drives mounted internally on my BDP's - the internal bypasses any USB processing.

james

Wait, can this be done on BDP-1?

zoom25

« Reply #12 on: 15 Sep 2016, 08:59 pm »

Would you get tighter bass and clearer highs if you reduced the depth of that sandbox?
 :lol:

Obviously not. It's not about the quantity, but rather the quality of the rice being used. Basmati for example gives a better sense of air.  :lol:

I do it because in my current rack, I'm forced to put the hard drive on top of the DAC because of the short cable length. So I put the rice box on top of the DAC which holds the HDD.

zoom25

« Reply #13 on: 15 Sep 2016, 09:08 pm »
Hi Zoom,

There was a discussion on this very issue a while back. I found subtle but reproducible differences between drives and power supplies. I have always noted less dynamic sound from flash drives compared to hard drives (either spinning or SSD) I also suspect it's due to power and noise (ie. "hash" not "hiss"). My current setup is a BDP-2 with IAD upgrade, and BDA-3. I have an external 2TB Samsung EVO-850Pro, connected to BDP by a USB-Micro Wireworld cable. BTW, like you I also find WAV superior to FLAC.

Here's a link to the discussion on the BDP-2 forum: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=110296.1400

Thanks for the read. So far I've avoided using the bigger external hard drives that come with a wall wart. I use the portable hard drives that run of the bus power from BDP-1's USB port. I figured it's best to avoid external power supplies altogether. The Samsung's have been on mind for some time.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #14 on: 15 Sep 2016, 09:35 pm »
Obviously not. It's not about the quantity, but rather the quality of the rice being used. Basmati for example gives a better sense of air.  :lol:

I do it because in my current rack, I'm forced to put the hard drive on top of the DAC because of the short cable length. So I put the rice box on top of the DAC which holds the HDD.

I use Saffron Rice myself. Adds more separation.  :o

Your USB cable that emerges from each drive -- those will still transmit internal vibrations from each drive. You need to try using cable lifters for each of your drives. Otherwise, your BDP will still experience mechanical vibrations, like the Beach Boys once sang about.... :lol:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #15 on: 15 Sep 2016, 09:53 pm »
Wait, can this be done on BDP-1?

No sorry only the 2

james

zoom25

« Reply #16 on: 7 Mar 2017, 02:02 pm »
I ordered the Audioquest Jitterbug to see if it'll make any differences to either the flash drives or the portable WD hard drives connected directly to the BDP-1's USB inputs. I'll also test it to see if it makes any difference on the regular USB input on the DAC coming from the Mac.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #17 on: 7 Mar 2017, 10:49 pm »
I ordered the Audioquest Jitterbug to see if it'll make any differences to either the flash drives or the portable WD hard drives connected directly to the BDP-1's USB inputs. I'll also test it to see if it makes any difference on the regular USB input on the DAC coming from the Mac.

Will be interested in the tests with the USB drives directly connected to BDP-1. 
What is your DAC?   :scratch:

zoom25

« Reply #18 on: 7 Mar 2017, 10:52 pm »
Will be interested in the tests with the USB drives directly connected to BDP-1. 
What is your DAC?   :scratch:

Dangerous Music Source (w/ a Teradak LPS).

fado

« Reply #19 on: 8 Mar 2017, 01:30 am »
zoom25 and CanadianMaestro, Thank You for making my day.