Might as well show the kitchen project

Big Red Machine

Might as well show the kitchen project
« on: 3 Sep 2016, 12:11 am »
Started in February and finished in May except backsplash is still not installed.

Destroyed the old kitchen and dining room, blew out the non-load bearing wall, and made an eat-in kitchen with a 13 foot island. Bluetooth ceiling speakers, fully insulated, 900 cfm exhaust fan. I did all the work except for the ceiling drywall and flooring install (can't take being on my knees).

The original two rooms:

Big Red Machine

Re: Might as well show the kitchen project
« Reply #1 on: 3 Sep 2016, 12:20 am »
The new:

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: 3 Sep 2016, 12:52 am »
(can't take being on my knees).
Oh really?  I thought your boss said otherwise.   :P :lol:

The original two rooms:
Awesome work Pete! 

WGH

« Reply #3 on: 3 Sep 2016, 12:55 am »
Very nice, the new wood floor ties it all together. For me, the backsplash design was the hardest part of the kitchen remodel, it took me months to decide.
Wayne

syzygy

« Reply #4 on: 3 Sep 2016, 01:02 am »
Beautiful job!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #5 on: 3 Sep 2016, 01:08 am »
Nice, but you might regret the dark countertop (looks good in our kitchen, but can't see a thing on it, makes the room look dark and we have 15 lights a smaller kitchen).  Wifey went with a full height tile backsplash.

So when are you gonna invite us over (and of course cook for us)?

TomS

« Reply #6 on: 3 Sep 2016, 01:41 am »
I've done a couple kitchens myself, but I am truly humbled, as you well know it's a ton of work to do yourself.

Beautiful transformation :thumb:

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #7 on: 3 Sep 2016, 01:45 am »
Nice work Pete!

I like how open it is and the big island is definitely the way to go.

Your counter-tops look similar to ours and we also have white cabinets.

George

Folsom

« Reply #8 on: 3 Sep 2016, 02:05 am »
Thank you for one less oak kitchen!

I think the black-splash will really make all the work pay off, unless you chose really badly :lol:.

Looks like you did a quality job. The nook is really nice. The window in the kitchen is a little weird in color, above the sink is the one thing I'd change.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #9 on: 3 Sep 2016, 02:16 am »
The kitchen looks really good! I've done a couple of kitchens also and they are a lot like bathrooms, a ton of work, you did a really nice job. You always want to go with dark counter tops with white cabinets and vise versa. Speaking of back splashes, we ran out of money 23 years ago when we built our house so had to do P-lam on the counter tops. We got to a point where we decided to just wait until we replaced them with granite and then do the back splash. Well, we are just now replacing our counter tops and guess what is holding us up :lol:.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #10 on: 3 Sep 2016, 03:54 am »
Nicely done BRM. Very warn & inviting, as well as practical.  8)

Big Red Machine

« Reply #11 on: 3 Sep 2016, 11:16 am »
My first kitchen. I've done everything else a number of times. Every appliance except the Viking came from Best Buy. I had enough reward points to get the beverage fridge for $85.

And btw, I do not cook. And if I go near the stove I get the evil eye that it better not be left dirtied up. Her pride and joy.

Mixing the oak into the new colors was an eclectic choice. The entire house is oak and it is growing on us. The house is solidly built - solid oak doors, plaster coated drywall (super hard), dual steel beams in the basement, 6 inch walls, etc.

mcgsxr

« Reply #12 on: 3 Sep 2016, 11:32 am »
Whole thong looks good!  That gas cook top is super drool worthy.  I do cook a little, so that draws me in!

We picked a neutral backsplash that married our counter with our wall colour.  We let the counter be the star visually.  Personal choice of course.   

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
« Reply #13 on: 3 Sep 2016, 04:00 pm »
Wow, great job. I'm envious of your skills and humbled. I painted the bathroom yestetday and I'll paint the porches next, that's about the extent of the skills level I'm afarid to say. Care to share ballpark costs of the transformation?

audioguy213

« Reply #14 on: 3 Sep 2016, 04:32 pm »
hardwood floors seem to be canine approved!

Big Red Machine

« Reply #15 on: 3 Sep 2016, 05:17 pm »
hardwood floors seem to be canine approved!

A luxury vinyl - SCRATCH-proof!!!!!

Big Red Machine

« Reply #16 on: 3 Sep 2016, 05:28 pm »
Wow, great job. I'm envious of your skills and humbled. I painted the bathroom yestetday and I'll paint the porches next, that's about the extent of the skills level I'm afarid to say. Care to share ballpark costs of the transformation?

Lester - beau coup dinars.  Appliances were over $12k, cabinets about $20k, granite and quartz around $10k, flooring was about $3k, the ceiling cost me $1500 from Mr. Handyman, stove hood fan and filters and hardware were about a grand. Electrical wires, can lights, switches, knobs, paint, stools, new table and chairs, ad nauseum nickle and dime fittings, etc. drove me to HD almost every day. I did spring for some new power tools as I killed several along the way. Easily over $55k. And considering I did 98% of the work.....

ACHiPo

« Reply #17 on: 3 Sep 2016, 05:32 pm »
That looks great!  And count your blessings that you're in the Midwest instead of CA--it would be 2x that here!

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #18 on: 3 Sep 2016, 05:58 pm »
That looks great!  And count your blessings that you're in the Midwest instead of CA--it would be 2x that here!

Either coast!!

I was quoted over $125k to gut and redo my kitchen.   :cry: :cry:

George

Big Red Machine

« Reply #19 on: 3 Sep 2016, 09:16 pm »
Either coast!!

I was quoted over $125k to gut and redo my kitchen.   :cry: :cry:

George

Well, that's because 50% of the price is labor. I did my own cabinets, the cabinet company installed the quartz/granite. Typically if you price out the materials, the contractor cost is double. Typically. It wasn't $5k to install my tops. Once measured and then cut, the install is quick.