Vortex Screen care and feeding?

Cincinnati

Vortex Screen care and feeding?
« on: 12 May 2016, 09:37 pm »
Greetings - this is my first post on this forum and I'm pleased to see an active discussion on Von Schweikert loudspeakers.  My father purchased Vortex Screens (the second model, I believe, with separate base and mid-tweeter modules) direct from Vortex Acoustics in 1991 or 1992 and they gave him great joy until he passed in '94.  Since then they have been very lightly used by my mother.  I'm trying to learn what I can quickly to help her sell them, and see that they find a good home.  I'd love to keep them but I'm trying to avoid adding another expensive passion to my life!

The only visible wear is mild scuffing on the veneer on the bases.  The socks are near perfect and the speakers play beautifully.  I have all original screws and spikes but the shipping boxes were not kept.

Any suggestions how to value/price them and where I should list them would be greatly appreciated. Also, anything I should be doing to store them properly? Thanks in advance.

Delacroix

Re: Vortex Screen care and feeding?
« Reply #1 on: 13 May 2016, 01:09 am »
Welcome "Cincinatti'

Well, you are in the right place to get VSA lovers to attend to your msg. You can list speakers for sale here on AC, check out the market place circles, but you have to post a few more times to earn that 'right'.  Do you have any pictures you can share? Am sure folks here would love to see these speakers. Albert himself can probably tell you everything you (or anyone) might need to know about this model, it's part of the history of the VSA line. Pricing? Well, I'll leave that to others....it all depends on who's looking.

Best

Patrick

Cincinnati

« Reply #2 on: 13 May 2016, 02:55 pm »
Thank you Delacroix.  Let me see if I can figure out how to post photos!

I have not moved the base modules yet so don't have photos of the assembled speakers.  They are identical in appearance to this:

I only have access today to the mid-tweeter modules and I note now that the serial number is illegible on these modules - looks like they were hand-written and have faded.  My photos of the mid-tweeter modules:

Cincinnati

« Reply #3 on: 13 May 2016, 02:55 pm »
Ahh! My photos are huge! Sorry. :scratch:

Cincinnati

« Reply #4 on: 19 May 2016, 08:22 pm »
Bump.  Can anyone help me to set a fair value on these?  Anything else I need to tell you about them?

Bob Stark

« Reply #5 on: 29 Mar 2017, 11:58 pm »
Cincinnati,
    I had a pair of the original Vortex Screens--not in 2 pieces.   The sound of the ones you have and mine were probably very similar--however, yours would ship much more securely, albeit more boxes.  I sold mine for $700-750 I think.  Yours could bring a tad more, maybe $50.  Hope that helps!