Opinions on best solid state vintage preamp ~2k

ds2000

Opinions on best solid state vintage preamp ~2k
« on: 20 Mar 2016, 04:48 pm »
Hey all, and first let me apologize if this has been covered here before. I am wondering what you all think would be good candidates in the Solid State vintage preamp field. By vintage, I am thinking of say the mid 80's thru the mid 90's.

ClefChef

Re: Opinions on best solid state vintage preamp ~2k
« Reply #1 on: 20 Mar 2016, 05:54 pm »
Pioneer C-21, Apt Holman, old Luxman gear, Nakamichi, Marantz - the list is long. For 2k you could probably find old Meridian or even Krell...

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #2 on: 20 Mar 2016, 08:46 pm »

Consider Hafler preamps from that era.  They were good in their time, and can be improved/updated at a reasonable cost.  This company does mods for you, or sells you parts to diy it.  They updated my DH110 a couple years back.

http://www.musicaldesign.com/MC_Haf_premod.html

dflee

« Reply #3 on: 20 Mar 2016, 09:24 pm »
You are well in the range for a number of really nice pre in it's day (and still good to great).
I found an Accuphase C11 for way under your limit and love it. Have a Nak RE-2 since new and
still use it today. Look for Pass, Bryston, Jeff Roland, McIntosh. List is many.
What are you hooking it up to and what's the rest of the system?

ds2000

« Reply #4 on: 20 Mar 2016, 10:54 pm »
The system is going to almost completely change. Currently I have a Kenwood L-1000t, a Bryston 2B-LP, the Nakamichi 1000p and mb, etc. I think I am going to go single box cd, the amp is open, but maybe somethin along the lines of the nice Lux,an M amps of he 80's and 90's. Speakers will be Onkyo Scepter 5001.

Panelhead1

« Reply #5 on: 21 Mar 2016, 12:20 am »
Hey all, and first let me apologize if this has been covered here before. I am wondering what you all think would be good candidates in the Solid State vintage preamp field. By vintage, I am thinking of say the mid 80's thru the mid 90's.

In that price range you can find a Klyne. These are nice. Or an older Spectral.

ds2000

« Reply #6 on: 21 Mar 2016, 12:37 am »
I do love the Spectral and Klyne preamps. Hmmmm.

ClefChef

ds2000

« Reply #8 on: 21 Mar 2016, 01:59 am »
That's a fine looking component! Did Klyne ever offer a model with balanced in or outs?

Belvedere2

« Reply #9 on: 5 May 2016, 02:03 am »
Pioneer C-21 or Threshold FET

roscoeiii

« Reply #10 on: 5 May 2016, 02:50 pm »
Klyne has an excellent reputation.

May I ask why you want to limit the preamp to vintage? There are some excellent newer preamps that can also be bought for $2k or less.

I never got around to listing it for sale, but I'll be selling this for less than $2k, and I have trouble imagining a vintage piece bettering it:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=134079.msg1422980#msg1422980

undertow

« Reply #11 on: 5 May 2016, 04:13 pm »
Mcintosh. They are fairly available in many models for your price range, and I would up your model selections to much newer at least from 1995 to 2005 or something as they will be far beyond any 80's, and early 90's mainly due to you might even get a remote control! Oh, and they sound pretty good for SS with low output impedance that will work with most amps universally, and if you don't like it they resale pretty much without loss.

If your not going tube I really do believe this is the best SS choice for most people. Krell, Threshold's, much more forward artificial sound from almost every model I have heard or sold. Audio Research SS from back then I dumped as well as they were just not as musical, sterile / Flat.
« Last Edit: 5 May 2016, 05:48 pm by undertow »

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #12 on: 5 May 2016, 05:47 pm »
Apt holman

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
« Reply #13 on: 5 May 2016, 09:11 pm »
Hi, if you go back 10 more years, the Ace Zero Distortion Preamp. 1974. It was as minimalist as you can get. I wish I had a picture. I found a mint one with a black faceplate, that looked like it was wired by someone who worked at NASA. I use  it with a Dynaco 70...love it....Mark Korda

Wind Chaser

« Reply #14 on: 5 May 2016, 09:24 pm »
Do you want a phono section?

If so, it's a long shot, but you might find a used Electro Research / Roberston Audio Ek-1. It's a strain gauge pick-up system not unlike the SoundSmith, which is about as good as it gets regardless of $$.

To get the most out of it you're going to need a reasonably good table with a damn good arm.

bummrush

« Reply #15 on: 5 May 2016, 10:59 pm »
Forte,older Coda

C17FXR

• Remember, you don't have to rewind the Blu-ray.
« Reply #16 on: 6 May 2016, 12:53 pm »
You didn’t mention what kind of Vintage preamp you were looking for, Active, Passive or Buffered.

My recommendation is for the McCormack line of pre-amps, there are several to choose from the ALD-1, TLC-1 or Micro Line Drive (MLD). These offer several types of output to help you tailor your sound to the way you like it. By tailor I mean preamps offer a different perspective depending on which you choose to go with, I’m not saying one is right or wrong it’s just which on offers a perspective that is pleasing to your ears.

The ALD-1 is an active preamp with passive and active outputs. Both the TLC-1 and Micro Line Drive preamps have active outputs in addition to their passive outs. In the case of the TLC-1, the active output is from a unity-gain buffer; the Micro Line Drive includes adjustable-gain active output (+1db low, +6db Med, +12db High). Both systems have very low output impedance and can drive any amplifier with ease.
Like I said these offer a verity of outputs to choose from and they can be made even better thru SMc Audio’s upgrade program. I’ve had my TLC upgraded twice to its current Signature edition.

Just my 2¢.

benguin

« Reply #17 on: 6 May 2016, 11:57 pm »
Consider Hafler preamps from that era.  They were good in their time, and can be improved/updated at a reasonable cost.  This company does mods for you, or sells you parts to diy it.  They updated my DH110 a couple years back.

http://www.musicaldesign.com/MC_Haf_premod.html

I concur with the Hafler option, although you will find a lot of preamps in your price range that are nice.  Also consider some of the AVA gear, including new.
I've still got my Hafler 110 from back in 1985, and occasionally pull it out and give it a listen- it still sounds very good.

- Ben

spectralman

« Reply #18 on: 3 Jul 2017, 06:44 am »
This is not a vintage preamp by any means, but my recommendation would be a Rowland Capri preamp.  I used to own one, very liquid and transparent sounding.  Can be had with a phono stage too.

bacobits1

« Reply #19 on: 3 Jul 2017, 11:29 am »
MFA Magus B, Audible Illusions M2

Oppps not solid state.............. :duh:
« Last Edit: 3 Jul 2017, 01:05 pm by bacobits1 »