The OFFICIAL Super-7 thread

Early B.

Re: The OFFICIAL Super-7 thread
« Reply #160 on: 23 Jun 2016, 04:24 am »
I just ordered a set of 12ga Alpha Cores for the midrange and 16ga Jantzens on the tweeters to try. I did it this way to eliminate the need for a custom order. Parts were purchased here in the USA.

Just wanted to provide an update on the inductor upgrade:

The sound is much heavier, thicker, and visceral. Male voices, in particular, have much more weight to them. My speakers now explosive dynamics, the mid-bass is deeper, and the overall sound simply has more authority. That's not surprising given the massive 12 ga. Alpha Core inductor on the midrange. Oh yeah, and the sound stage increased. The detail is the same, but now some of the micro details have now become macro details. It's quite a different presentation, for sure, with greater tonal accuracy. Previously, my system would have been labeled as super clean and perhaps a tad clinical, but not anymore. My system sounds like a tootsie pop -- there's a chewy, delicious center inside.   

So far, I'm very pleased with the results.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #161 on: 23 Jun 2016, 03:46 pm »
You said it better than I did :)

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #162 on: 23 Jun 2016, 04:04 pm »
Suddenly, I have panel envy :P  Congrats Miguel!

Tyson,

I would say that is still better than having the other envy that starts with a "P" :lol:

I have the same feeling with YOUR speakers, I finally get my custom Super V's from Ruben which are beautiful and sound wonderful. Then I find out he is building you Super 7's.  and all I can think about is 'why didn't I think of that :duh:

Danny Richie

« Reply #163 on: 23 Jun 2016, 05:14 pm »
I still have a pair of Super-7's.

Tyson

« Reply #164 on: 23 Jun 2016, 05:15 pm »
Tyson,

I would say that is still better than having the other envy that starts with a "P" :lol:

I have the same feeling with YOUR speakers, I finally get my custom Super V's from Ruben which are beautiful and sound wonderful. Then I find out he is building you Super 7's.  and all I can think about is 'why didn't I think of that :duh:

What other P word could you possibly mean?  Hahaha.  Yes it's true, I got the last pair of Super 7's ever built.  I was very lucky because they had been my holy grail speakers ever since hearing them at RMAF 3 years prior.  And I joke about panel envy with Miguel, but really I know there's no way I can fit speakers that size into my room.  The Super 7's are the very biggest I can use and I just got lucky that I could grab a pair before they went away entirely.  My advice to anyone with a moderately sized room is to make an offer to Danny for his pair post haste.  They are so amazing....

2bigears

« Reply #165 on: 24 Jun 2016, 12:34 am »
 :D.  Danny ,, what's the no dicker sticker on those bad boys ?  :D

Danny Richie

« Reply #166 on: 24 Jun 2016, 12:54 am »
:D.  Danny ,, what's the no dicker sticker on those bad boys ?  :D

I'd take 12 grand for them.

Tyson

« Reply #167 on: 24 Jun 2016, 03:17 am »
That's a crazy bargain considering that they kick the living shit out of every speaker I heard at RMAF for 10 years straight. 

Danny Richie

« Reply #168 on: 24 Jun 2016, 01:41 pm »
And retail on them is $20,000.

Tyson

« Reply #169 on: 10 Jul 2016, 03:59 pm »
Time for a quick update on my crossover upgrades.  For the record, I have changed out every part in the crossover.  What I have now are:

Clarity Cap MR's for the tweeter and midrange caps.
Clarity Cap ESA and MR for the other cap
Mundorf M-Resist bifilar resistor
Jantzen Copper/Foil/Wax 14ga Inductors in all positions
VH Audio Unicrystal OCC copper wire

Overall the sound has taken a large step up and I am super happy.  A few notes about each change, now that I've had a bit more time to listen to everything.

Caps - changing caps had a different effect that I thought.  Moving from the Sonicaps to the MR's was an improvement in clarity, transparency, micro dynamics and sound staging, but a step down in terms of tonal warmth.  Basically the MR's sound more clear, while he Sonicaps sound more pleasant. 

Resistor - I was surprised that changing the resistor had any effect at all, but it did.  Slightly better clarity.  That's about it.

Wire - OMG, the VH Audio OCC wire is a freaking amazing discovery!  It's the best wire I've heard, regardless of price.  And it's CHEAP (relatively speaking).  Can't believe how incredibly good it is.

Inductors - moving to the 14ga Jantzen copper/foil/wax inductors was easily the biggest single improvement.  Pretty much every category of sound improves.  Warmth, heft, clarity, dynamics (macro and micro), separation of voices and instruments, percussive attack, well you get the picture.  Highly recommended.

Side note - I have a dedicated amp driving the top end of my Super 7's, a First Watt Burning Amp 3, which I started with Sonicaps on the input board (only caps in the signal path), and then moved to Clarity MR caps, and have recently put in Jupiter Copper/Wax/Paper caps in there.  After burn in, holy crap!  These caps by themselves were a bigger improvement than all the other upgrades.  They are awesome, and I was lucky that I only needed a .22uf value for my amp.  I'm thinking of maybe getting some for use in my Super 7 crossover, but holy shit are they expensive in 10uf and 15uf values.  Hmmm, maybe I'll try bypassing my MR caps with some small value Jupiters instead....sheesh, this hobby is expensive!

Ric Schultz

« Reply #170 on: 13 Oct 2016, 02:44 am »
Claritycap has a new improved version of the MR called CMR.  Suppose to have a mo betta way of connecting the wire to the cap.  Available now from Parts Connexion.  I have not seen anyone who has posted on the "improved?" sound.  About the same pricing as the "old" one.  Now red instead of blue.....will they sound more red?......Enid....please help us!?!

http://www.claritycap.co.uk/products/cmr.php

Captainhemo

« Reply #171 on: 13 Oct 2016, 06:34 am »
Yeah, they are also  making a  CSA series as well  hence the  clearence prices at PC for the past   bit.
From the  CMR data sheet (didn't look to see if this is now up on PC):

"ClarityCap has taken the science behind audio performance seriously for over
25 years. We have researched, tested, and verified the performance of many
prototypes, working together with leading Universities and respected audio
industry figures. We bring to market only those features that contribute
tangible benefits. It has been eight years since the introduction of our wellregarded
MR and ESA ranges. Improving on these products has taken time.
ClarityCap’s unique CopperConnect™ technology addresses a
hitherto unexplored area of capacitor performance. Over the years dielectric,
electrode and lead wire materials have all been extensively optimized.
However, the connection between capacitor electrodes and wire leads has always
relied on a thermal arc spray of tin-zinc. This spray process results in hundreds of
thousands of oxidized grain boundaries across the capacitor’s end. These anomalies introduce distortion and phase shifts at
boundary crossings and propagation impedance that increases with capacitor diameter.
Our new CopperConnect™ technology embeds a copper litz lattice across the diameter of the end connection. This
dramatically reduces grain boundary crossings and signal path resistance. With improved conduction across the diameter, the
aspect ratio may in turn be altered to employ a larger diameter and a narrower film stock with reduced ESR. The philosophy of
eliminating as many crystal boundaries as possible is extended to the use of premium grade 1.0mm2 tinned oxygen free copper
leads. The new CMR range also incorporates the special processing parameters that in our existing MR range have proved to reduce
self-propagated microphonics that degrade audio performance. The combined result is a capacitor design with a new level of audio
performance."

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #172 on: 13 Oct 2016, 03:40 pm »
We are currently testing those new caps in our Seraphim Prime.

Will report back once we're done.
Claritycap has a new improved version of the MR called CMR.  Suppose to have a mo betta way of connecting the wire to the cap.  Available now from Parts Connexion.  I have not seen anyone who has posted on the "improved?" sound.  About the same pricing as the "old" one.  Now red instead of blue.....will they sound more red?......Enid....please help us!?!

http://www.claritycap.co.uk/products/cmr.php

bernardo

« Reply #173 on: 24 Feb 2017, 04:10 pm »
I can’t believe I’m posting this but I am hoping someone can help. I have had my Super-7s on Sound Anchor bases with HRS Nimbus feet between the bases and speakers since I acquired them 2 years ago. I want to try the bases supplied with the speakers. I was sent 8 ¼” diameter Hex Bolts 1 ¾” long to secure the bases to the speakers. These bolts will not thread in - they are too large.

I bought 12/24 and 10/24 2” long Machine Screws today. Neither will thread in; the 10/24 engages maybe a couple of threads and then stops dead in its tracks. The local fastener stores do not have Hex Bolts below ¼” diameter.

I asked Danny about the correct size bolt – he informed me that he received the incorrect size bolts with his pair of Super-7s but does not remember the correct size.

So, for you Super-7 owners who are using the Super-7 bases, anyone else have this issue and if so, do you remember the size bolt you used?

Danny Richie

« Reply #174 on: 24 Feb 2017, 04:18 pm »
I can’t believe I’m posting this but I am hoping someone can help. I have had my Super-7s on Sound Anchor bases with HRS Nimbus feet between the bases and speakers since I acquired them 2 years ago. I want to try the bases supplied with the speakers. I was sent 8 ¼” diameter Hex Bolts 1 ¾” long to secure the bases to the speakers. These bolts will not thread in - they are too large.

I bought 12/24 and 10/24 2” long Machine Screws today. Neither will thread in; the 10/24 engages maybe a couple of threads and then stops dead in its tracks. The local fastener stores do not have Hex Bolts below ¼” diameter.

I asked Danny about the correct size bolt – he informed me that he received the incorrect size bolts with his pair of Super-7s but does not remember the correct size.

So, for you Super-7 owners who are using the Super-7 bases, anyone else have this issue and if so, do you remember the size bolt you used?

I think the bolts that I had to buy for them were metric.

I unscrewed the threaded insert (unscrews with an Allen wrench) and took it with me to the hardware store. That made it pretty easy to find the right screws.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #175 on: 24 Feb 2017, 04:55 pm »
Try 8mm.

I ran into a similar issue with the spike feet that comes with the kits. I thought they were 1/4"-20 so I used 1/4" hardwood inserts (I built the bases out of red oak instead of MDF). The spikes would not thread in, they acted just like you are describing. Turns out they were 8mm instead of 1/4".

Mike

bernardo

« Reply #176 on: 24 Feb 2017, 05:10 pm »
Problem solved. I did not notice until I removed the insert at Danny's suggestion that I have four 1/4" Hex Bolts for one speaker and four machine screws (who knows what size) for the other. Go figure. 

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
« Reply #177 on: 22 Apr 2017, 11:11 pm »
I still have a pair of Super-7's.

As I do.   :green:

My hearing has deteriorated significantly the last three-or-so years, but I still love the sounds of my partially improved S7s.  The 40-Watts-into-4 Atma-Sphere M60Mk. 3s...

...still sound great.  I have yet to finish replacing the wiring and inductors in the S7s, and as I get older I wonder if I ever will.

Tyson

« Reply #178 on: 23 Apr 2017, 03:14 am »
I'm sort of at that point now, but re: my DAC.  I know my system could sound better with a better one, but I love the sound right now so damn much that I'm just not motivated at all to change anything. 

mikeeastman

« Reply #179 on: 25 Apr 2017, 06:39 pm »
After reading a bunch of post on coupling and isolating speakers I decided to play around with my speakers. I had some plastic furniture feet on my speaker per a recommendation by Danny as I didn’t want to use the spikes that came with the speaker because I was afraid the might damage my tile floor. I started by replacing the feet with some Mapleshade brass footers I had laying around. The sound got a little more focused. As my floor is suspended and according to what I had read I should decouple them. I built a platform out of some 4x4 maple I had left over from another project and place them on some Iso block and set the speaker with the brass footers on top. Not finished the platforms yet, thought I try them out first. Still had the better focus but the extra hight raised the soundstage higher than I like, so I changed the angle of the speakers to compensate, sound stage came down, focus was the same but what changed was, before my highs were a bit forward now their back in line with the rest of the music. I like the change but I don’t really know why this change happened? Maybe someone can suggest why. The only thing I can think of is that it changed the way the speakers interact with the acoustics of my room.