Re: Hypex NC500
« Reply #21 on: 6 Feb 2016, 07:10 am »
Will be posting results very soon

tdinut

• Joe aka Joeinid on other forums.
    • Audioshark Forum
« Reply #22 on: 6 Feb 2016, 07:55 am »
Thank you very much. I have a pair of the Nord One UP with Sparkos op amps coming next week and I am anxious to hear them.

Coll

« Reply #23 on: 6 Feb 2016, 10:57 am »
I gave my initial impressions of the Nord - IQ Speakers Hypex NC500 mono blocks previously and I have now fitted the uprated buffers designed and supplied by Nord.
I originally decided on the Burson V5 discrete op amps, but Nord also very kindly sent me the Sparkos to compare with them as well.

Fitting was quick and easy with the instructions provided but Nord- IQ will do it for you if you prefer.
I should add that inside the amplifiers are very neatly laid out and the new buffer boards seem to be very good quality.

With either op amp sound wise the treble is probably slightly more natural than before and overall the sound is fuller. Of the two the Sparkos gives more of a fuller warmer sound perhaps because it is class A.
I felt the bass seemed slightly deeper and more controlled with both op amps but there is not a lot in it.
Overall I do prefer the subtle changes that both these op amps give.
There is also slightly more detail than before I notice even more things in my recordings that I had not noticed before particulary with the Bursons.

Out of the two I prefer the Burson V5 because they just sound slightly more natural (accurate) on musical instruments but again there is not a lot between them.
Maybe because I like music as opposed to singing the Bursons suit me best.
The Sparkos in my system seemed a little too smooth on most of my recordings.
The Sparkos seem to suit singing, female vocals sound very good.
Obviously the rest of your system, room and the type of music you like may make a difference as to which is best for you.

The Bursons are brighter sounding than the Sparkos in my system and I do have a couple of Cds where I think if I listened for many hours I may get listening fatigue whereas the Sparkos would probably stop that. But the rest of my music sounds better to me with the Bursons. Perhaps I could make up some sort of switching arrangement betweem op amps.

So summing up my impressions over standard op amps:-
Sparkos much smoother,marginally better bass, more detailed
Burson marginally smoother, marginally better bass, more detailed, more accurate and detailed.

For the record the rest of my System is an Audiolab 8200CDQ with built in pre amp. And Troels Gravesen designed Illumina 66 floorstanders.
On the Audiolab I use the Optimum Transient filter.
The CD player will be replaced in a few months time with a Lakewest FDAC with built in CD slot.
With regard to the speakers I used a 1R5 resistor to the ring radiator tweeters thus they are not bright speakers having as Troels Gravesen calls it the BBC dip. On the other hand my room is quite bright as it has a laminate floor with just a rug between my listening posistion and the speakers.
I am giving you this information as it could explain why I felt the Sparkos was too smooth most of the time. But also I am 68 this month and my HF hearing may not be so good anymore.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #24 on: 6 Feb 2016, 11:54 am »
Coll,

Thank you for a balanced and honest review  8)

The differences versus stock don't seem to be night and day, although for some setups it may sway the listener to a more musical result.

Enjoy,

Anand.

tdinut

• Audioshark Forum
« Reply #25 on: 6 Feb 2016, 03:08 pm »
Coll,

Thank you so much for your feedback. I'm sure I'll love the Sparkos op amp.

Having a switch to change the flavor would be fun.

I expect my amps to ship Monday or Tuesday of next week.

I am very excited to hook them up.

tane0019

« Reply #26 on: 25 Feb 2016, 10:18 am »
Had anyone already compare the main different between the NC500 vs NC400 ?

With the pricing of the Nord - it really make no sense to DIY the NC400 anymore assuming the there are no big different between them.

tdinut

• Audioshark Forum
« Reply #27 on: 25 Feb 2016, 10:50 am »
Had anyone already compare the main different between the NC500 vs NC400 ?

With the pricing of the Nord - it really make no sense to DIY the NC400 anymore assuming the there are no big different between them.

I can not help with the NC400 but have the NC500 Nord One Up amps with the Sparkos op amp and they are wonderful. Powerful, spacious 3D, air, a little on the sweet side (perfect for my taste), in the room big sound stage. I leave them on all the time, they run cool and sound great.

firedog

« Reply #28 on: 25 Feb 2016, 11:50 am »
Coll,

Thank you for a balanced and honest review  8)

The differences versus stock don't seem to be night and day, although for some setups it may sway the listener to a more musical result.

Enjoy,

Anand.

Anand - a little confused, do you own NC500 amps also? If yes, do you also rate them as top notch power amps, as many rate the NC400?

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #29 on: 25 Feb 2016, 02:18 pm »
Anand - a little confused, do you own NC500 amps also? If yes, do you also rate them as top notch power amps, as many rate the NC400?

No I don't have/own the NC500. I've listened to it extensively at RMAF. Colin at IQ has told me that the stock NC500 and NC400 are not very different at all sonically but the party changes with the various input modules available for the NC500.

Those in the industry have also told me the NC500 is very close in performance to the pure OEM NC1200.

Either way you go, they are all great amps in my book.

Best,

Anand.

tane0019

« Reply #30 on: 26 Feb 2016, 03:50 am »
No I don't have/own the NC500. I've listened to it extensively at RMAF. Colin at IQ has told me that the stock NC500 and NC400 are not very different at all sonically but the party changes with the various input modules available for the NC500.

Those in the industry have also told me the NC500 is very close in performance to the pure OEM NC1200.

Either way you go, they are all great amps in my book.

Best,

Anand.

All base on the stock input buffer.

NC500 vs NC1200 -> very close performance.
Spec wise, they should be almost identical except if you're drive a 2 ohms spk.

NC500 vs NC400 -> in term of performance, the 500 should have better dynamics & speed, I suppose ?

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #31 on: 26 Feb 2016, 09:50 am »
All base on the stock input buffer.

NC500 vs NC1200 -> very close performance.
Spec wise, they should be almost identical except if you're drive a 2 ohms spk.

NC500 vs NC400 -> in term of performance, the 500 should have better dynamics & speed, I suppose ?

I would agree...But if you own the NC400 already, you may not feel that the NC500 is a substantial improvement in its *stock* form over the NC400. On most loudspeaker loads the differences you are hearing is between the LM4562 op amp in the NC500 versus the discrete input design in the NC400.

I do see lower distortion at power levels less than 20 watts with the NC500 versus NC400 however.

Your budget will probably be more relevant here than anything else!

Best,
Anand.

Coll

« Reply #32 on: 26 Feb 2016, 10:00 am »
If I had an NC400 I dont think I would bother to get the NC500 unless it was getting on in years and needed to be replaced.
But if I were choosing between building the NC400 and buying the Nord NC500 which is the situation I was faced with a few months ago I would not hesitate to buy the Nord NC500.

tane0019

« Reply #33 on: 27 Feb 2016, 01:30 pm »
I would agree...But if you own the NC400 already, you may not feel that the NC500 is a substantial improvement in its *stock* form over the NC400. On most loudspeaker loads the differences you are hearing is between the LM4562 op amp in the NC500 versus the discrete input design in the NC400.

I do see lower distortion at power levels less than 20 watts with the NC500 versus NC400 however.

Your budget will probably be more relevant here than anything else!

Best,
Anand.

If I had an NC400 I dont think I would bother to get the NC500 unless it was getting on in years and needed to be replaced.
But if I were choosing between building the NC400 and buying the Nord NC500 which is the situation I was faced with a few months ago I would not hesitate to buy the Nord NC500.

Thanks guys. 

I had a pair of DIY NC400 mono.

Thinking maybe the NC500 would be a upgrade. 
Seem like have to wait to see when will IQ come up with a Nord NC1200 then  8) :)

tdinut

• Audioshark Forum
« Reply #34 on: 1 Mar 2016, 04:39 pm »
My Nord NC500 Ncore amps are outstanding, if that helps. I prefer to leave them on all the time. They kill amps 5-7 times the price. They are dead quiet, have tons of power, great vocals and big sound stage. I am happy.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #35 on: 1 Mar 2016, 05:33 pm »

Seem like have to wait to see when will IQ come up with a Nord NC1200 then  8) :)

There's a $9k minimum price on NC1200 amps.

I'd just get the IQ NC500s with interchangeable op amp inputs.

a.wayne

« Reply #36 on: 1 Mar 2016, 05:41 pm »
My Nord NC500 Ncore amps are outstanding, if that helps. I prefer to leave them on all the time. They kill amps 5-7 times the price. They are dead quiet, have tons of power, great vocals and big sound stage. I am happy.

Hello,

Could you clarify this , what amps 5-7 times in cost have you compared to the NC500, a  point of reference would be great ...

firedog

« Reply #37 on: 1 Mar 2016, 07:08 pm »
Let's be fair and also mention the Atsah 500 monoblocks based on the NC500. Only slightly more than the Nord.

http://www.tweekgeek.com/acoustic-imagery-atsah-500/

got about the most enthusiastic review you can imagine here:
http://www.tweekgeek.com/content/PDF/HFC404_Acoutsicimagery_ATSAH500_Reprint.pdf

tdinut

• Audioshark Forum
« Reply #38 on: 2 Mar 2016, 12:52 pm »
Hello,

Could you clarify this , what amps 5-7 times in cost have you compared to the NC500, a  point of reference would be great ...

I've had a lot of amps and I'd take these over the Devialet D400, for example, that I had. Sure the D400 did more, but strictly for sound, give me the Nords. They have more body and weight. Actually the D400 costs a heck of a lot more.

These are the first Class D that I think could replace conventional amps. Sure I'd love the hear the Mola Mola or similar but can't spend that kind of money anymore.

tdinut

• Audioshark Forum
« Reply #39 on: 2 Mar 2016, 12:56 pm »
Thank you for the links!

I'd love to hear these too.

Let's be fair and also mention the Atsah 500 monoblocks based on the NC500. Only slightly more than the Nord.

http://www.tweekgeek.com/acoustic-imagery-atsah-500/

got about the most enthusiastic review you can imagine here:
http://www.tweekgeek.com/content/PDF/HFC404_Acoutsicimagery_ATSAH500_Reprint.pdf