C&C Bucket Sub Revisited

Doublej

Re: C&C Bucket Sub Revisited
« Reply #20 on: 7 Sep 2014, 12:30 am »
Can someone help me understand this build a bit better. You take a five gallon bucket, cut a hole in the bottom for the driver, put the cover on it, drive some screws with feet into the cover flip it over/put it on its feet and pour concrete into it. How much concrete does one pour into the five gallon bucket?

Folsom

« Reply #21 on: 7 Sep 2014, 01:34 am »
I think the first link says how much.

Don't forget binding posts.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #22 on: 7 Sep 2014, 03:50 am »
Hi, Doublej.

I believe you missed a step....in addition to the screws for the feet, you also want to drill 3 or 4 screws into the sides of the bucket to secure the cement once it sets.

Since the instructions say to use one bag of fast setting concrete, I presume we use all of it. Just remember to mix it in a separate container.

I hope this is helpful.

Michael

Odal3

« Reply #23 on: 7 Sep 2014, 04:47 am »
Hopefully this will clarify

From the instructions (see first link):
6. With bucket upside down, carefully pour/scoop cement through the driver hole and fill it just above the projection on the bucket making sure it covers the anchor screws, about 2 to 3 inches deep.

Here are some clarifications from the designer of the sub that I found elsewhere:"The anchor screws go just above the lid (or below it, depending on how you look at it). The concrete should cover them by a couple inches. My buckets have a projection on the outside and I filled them to about equal to it."

One bag will probably be good for many buckets.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #24 on: 7 Sep 2014, 11:30 am »
Poultrygeist - Thank for the info, much appreciated as always.

Here is a longer discussion thread by Ed Schilling and others discussing the design, results, hook-ups and amp choices.  http://tubehifi.websitetoolbox.com/post/Subwoofer-Project-6426090?&trail=15

Per this thread, Crown XLS 1500 is the recommended amp for the bucket subs (was the preferred option over the BASH plate amps). But, is there a good C&C amp alternative to make it easier to match the smaller foot print of a TPA3116 and an Astron (still waiting for parts and psu for the TPA so I'm yet to hear it...can't wait)?

I'm convinced, bucket production will start in a few weeks!

BTW: The Peerless SLS 830667 driver is the smaller version of the driver SL used in the Pluto+ subwoofer design (10" Peerless SLS in a 14 liter sealed box) http://www.linkwitzlab.com/Pluto/subwoofer.htm

For cheap sub amps the Yung class D's are pretty good but I'm sure the Crowns are better. There's a cheaper $150 Behringer with similar power to the Crown but it requires Neutrik connectors.

You'd expect a plastic bucket to vibrate like crazy with the Peerless reaching max excursion but that is not the case. I've heard thick expensive braced wood enclosures resonate but the buckets were dead silent. Ed hit a home run with the "F'ing Fantastic Redneck Sub".

Doublej

« Reply #25 on: 7 Sep 2014, 01:15 pm »
Thanks. Now I get it. You drive 3-8 screws into the side of the bucket and then pour in the concrete until it's above the projection. I was a bit thrown off in the original link by the 'concrete colored' lid.

Odal3

« Reply #26 on: 8 Sep 2014, 04:53 am »
My shipment with a test driver will come later this week so this should be interesting. BTW: Have to admit it feels a bit weird researching big power amps since I have been very happy with low watt amps for a while now. But I guess it will be needed to drive four of them!

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #27 on: 9 Sep 2014, 06:15 pm »
Another thumbs up for the bucket subs.   :thumb: I still like the pair I built, driven by a Crown amp.
I went with basic Home Depot orange.

To make them look better, I'm thinking a fabric slipcover

Does anyone know how many of these subs you can run off the crown amp?. I'm building an audio room right now and want to do a swarm to go with my Super Vs.

Thanks,

Greg

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #28 on: 9 Sep 2014, 10:07 pm »
It's an 8 Ohm speaker, so you could drive 4 or 8 or even 16 of them and if you wired the speakers in a series/parallel arrangement it would still be an 8 Ohm load.

mcgsxr

« Reply #29 on: 9 Sep 2014, 11:50 pm »
If the Crown is a pro amp, I am sure it will run at 4ohm in stereo, and perhaps even 4ohm in bridged mono.

Lots of ways to run many subs, but I am not familiar with the swarm being stereo or mono, so not sure about that detail.

gregfisk

• Restricted
« Reply #30 on: 10 Sep 2014, 12:15 am »
Thank you gentleman, I will run all of my wiring home run so I can wire them series/parallel depending on how many I end up with. I'll probably run a coax also to each location so if I use conventional subs I will have my basis covered. The big dilemma is what locations do I run the wire?

Since they are a single speaker you would have to run them in mono so spreading out the left and right channel between subs would make since to me? But, I don't know how people do it either.

Greg

Poultrygeist

« Reply #31 on: 10 Sep 2014, 12:22 am »
Does anyone know how many of these subs you can run off the crown amp?. I'm building an audio room right now and want to do a swarm to go with my Super Vs.

Thanks,

Greg

The Crown XLS1000 does two in parallel and that's all any sane person would ever need.

gregfisk

• Restricted
« Reply #32 on: 10 Sep 2014, 01:47 am »
The Crown XLS1000 does two in parallel and that's all any sane person would ever need.

I'm doing this for room nodes to even out the bass.

They are not for more bass, The Super V's in my 20' x 30' room with four 12" servo subs should take care of that :thumb:.

starkiller

« Reply #33 on: 7 Nov 2014, 05:41 am »
Anyone in the Seattle/Olympia area build one of these yet?  Would like to try this out with my near field listening setup and am curious how it would do....

WC

« Reply #34 on: 6 Jan 2017, 04:02 am »
Has anyone out there used the bucket subs in their home theater? Did they work just as well as larger subs in a home theater application?

Odal3

« Reply #35 on: 6 Jan 2017, 05:13 am »
I have two bucket subs at home and I really like them for music.  However, they don't go deep enough to create all the bangs, thunder and explosions you have in movies. For pure HT I would recommend looking at bigger subs.