Ambiophonics

ST

Ambiophonics
« on: 1 Oct 2013, 02:54 am »
Hi,

Anyone here using ambiophonics setup?  There are hardly any serious effort by audiophiles to event attempt to listen to ambiophonics setup. I have tried posting in several forums so that I get to know other members using them but there seemed none or they are just keeping their discovery to themselves.  :icon_lol:

Anyway, to those who want to know about ambiophonics can visit http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9p2PS8WDoTM . Please make sure to turn off all the inbuilt sound effect of the sound card to get a better experience.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Ambiophonics
« Reply #1 on: 1 Oct 2013, 09:37 am »
At the 'low-end' (video games) I doubt there's interest.  Naturally the audio purists shun any signal processing (except RIAA or what they have control of).  And I don't see a place for it in 5.1 and beyond A/V environments.

ST

« Reply #2 on: 1 Oct 2013, 01:16 pm »
At the 'low-end' (video games) I doubt there's interest.  Naturally the audio purists shun any signal processing (except RIAA or what they have control of).  And I don't see a place for it in 5.1 and beyond A/V environments.

It has got nothing to do with 5.1. Ambiophonics brings the best out of true stereo recordings. I have listened to the Dark Side of the moon in 5.1 SACD and stereo in ambiophonics with the latter winning hands down. I have a dedicated room., DSD and SACD were my main preference for fidelity but with ambiophonics I do not think it degraded the sound.

It should be a purist choice but unfortunately prejudged without even giving it a try. Honestly, how much fidelity is lost comparing both sound in the YouTube demo mentioned above? We somehow accept stereo with its cross channel distortion as fidelity but reject ambiophonics for its implementation to cancel them.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 1 Oct 2013, 11:48 pm »
But now do I have to buy yet another copy of classic recordings in the chase to keep up with the 'latest and greatest' formats?

As I recall there has been several attempts have been made over the years to improve stereo, but the inertia was never in their favor.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #4 on: 1 Oct 2013, 11:57 pm »
Check >>HERE<< and >>HERE<<. The second link has pretty pictures on the first page.
Not necessarily "cheap and cheerful", but a very intriguing technology I'd be interested it. I just lack the "bank", ya know.....

ST

« Reply #5 on: 2 Oct 2013, 12:42 am »
 :duh:.... I tried searching for ambiophonics thread but did not see those two links. Thanks.

JML, you need not buy anything new again. Almost all well recorded CD or SACD benefit from it. Besides the classical recordings, all Linn, Telarc, Waterlily acoustics, FIM, Absolute Sound collections and many more sound more engaging and realistic. My setup is rather modest and I started with physical barrier between front Harbeth SHL5 but it wasn't too successful. I did not really attempt the Foobar Ambiophonics plugin because it was not a smooth sail at the beginning and moreover no SACD playable using Foobar (that was many years ago).

However, everything changed when I got the small hardware Miniambio (from the maker of MiniDSP) for about $125 and never looked back. My SACD through Marantz SA11s2 and DSD download through Mytek DAC never sounded this good. It is the cheapest and most effective upgrades i have ever made.

Cheers!

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 2 Oct 2013, 12:57 am »
:duh:.... I tried searching for ambiophonics thread but did not see those two links. Thanks.
You're welcome.
Try searching for "Ambio", instead of the entire word. There are more threads here, I just grabbed the two big ones I knew about. Also, search for posts from Ralph, he seemed to be the Ambio Guru. From what I've read, he seems like a great fellow and very friendly. There are more Ambio sites on the net, some Ralph is involved in. There are even two channel Ambio demo tracks that sound amazing on my $20 computer speakers. The one that comes to mind in a clip of the movie "Ice Age".

Good stuff man. Rock on.

ST

« Reply #7 on: 2 Oct 2013, 01:50 am »
Ralph is always accommodating. He provided the necessary guidance when I was doing the initial setup with miniambio.

The University of Southampton animations is the best way to describe the vice of stereo's distortion.

Eq:- Sound waves of someone singing in front of you.

Same sound reproduced in stereo. See how the waves of a single voice is duplicated and distorted when it reaches your ears.

Now, after cancellation of cross channel in systems similar to ambiophonics. See the similarities between the original sound and ambio playback.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #8 on: 3 Oct 2013, 02:29 pm »
Well, this topic doesn't belong in the Cheap and Cheerful HiFi circle unless someone can propose an ambio system under $400.  However where to put it is somewhat of a quandary.   Hi Rez?  Solid State?  The Lab?  Any suggestions?

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 3 Oct 2013, 02:40 pm »
I was thinking the same thing, but didn't have any solid answers either.
It could even go in Home Theater if you want??/ I can keep it under my wings over there.  :dunno:

ST

« Reply #10 on: 4 Oct 2013, 04:27 am »
I wasn't sure either. I thought this thread should be acceptable since it involves the simplest upgrade of a $100 hardware to bring out the best from your existing system.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #11 on: 4 Oct 2013, 01:57 pm »
I wasn't sure either. I thought this thread should be acceptable since it involves the simplest upgrade of a $100 hardware to bring out the best from your existing system.

That sounds great and would definitely be C&C material.  I've been trying to wade through all the pages at the ambiophonics site and I'm having a little trouble finding the $100 option.  A little help here?

Nevermind, I see you noted it.  http://www.ambio4you.com/ambiophonic-processors/miniambio

So you can just configure it using a PC the install it in your analog system?  Or does it need a PC to work effectively?

ST

« Reply #12 on: 4 Oct 2013, 02:34 pm »
Hi,

Miniambio is actually Minidsp with ambio. You need a PC to setup the initial stage and if you like to use the eq feature as well. However, the default values is good enough to get it going. After the initial setup the miniambio is connected to power supply via a USB cable. no need for PC after the setup.

Maybe, you should contact Minidsp directly for the unit. The miniambio link's sales response is slow or unreliable.

Cheers.

ST

« Reply #13 on: 4 Oct 2013, 02:36 pm »
Deleted. Duplicate post. Sorry.

notany

« Reply #14 on: 4 Oct 2013, 02:48 pm »
Hi,
  If you are curious about Ambiophonics and don't want to spend over $100 there is a plugin that will allow you to adjust the effect or bypass it.  This would be good if you are PC based.  http://electro-music.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/114  I hope this is cheap enough, I'm being as cheerful as I can.   :icon_lol:

ST

« Reply #15 on: 4 Oct 2013, 03:00 pm »
Thanks Notany,

There are a few free downloads available at http://www.ambiophonics.org/PCMac.html . The iPad or android apps was very useful to familiarise yourself with ambiophonics.

Once you get hooked to it you will never go back to normal stereo.

Cheers!

notany

« Reply #16 on: 4 Oct 2013, 03:40 pm »
Thanks.  I'm going to have some fun with this, eventually.  Still working on getting the computer connected to the HiFi.  As my father used to say "all it takes is money".

charmerci

« Reply #17 on: 4 Oct 2013, 05:18 pm »
Thanks.  I'm going to have some fun with this, eventually.  Still working on getting the computer connected to the HiFi.  As my father used to say "all it takes is money".

Not that much money and it's real simple.

Download http://www.foobar2000.org/ for free (use FLAC files) then ust buy a JDS Labs ODAC and a cable

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021815&p_id=5596&seq=1&format=2

and for under 175 bucks....voila!

notany

« Reply #18 on: 4 Oct 2013, 05:48 pm »
  Right now I don't have the $10 for the plugin.  I'm not on this site out of intellectual curiosity.  Soon though, soon.

charmerci

« Reply #19 on: 4 Oct 2013, 06:23 pm »
  Right now I don't have the $10 for the plugin.

I've been down that road before. :(

Here's hoping for future financial success for you!