SlimServer issues

owenmd

SlimServer issues
« on: 18 Jun 2009, 11:38 pm »
Hello folks,

I'm a complete high-rez virgin, so thought I would ask here?  :?

I downloaded some 96khz, 24 bit Flac albums to my Mac desk top.  Tried to import to Itunes without success and so started Googling.  Seemed a lot of folks were using the Fluke software, so I downloaded that.  Managed to import the albums into Itunes, but found they would only play in slow-motion.... probably around 1/4 speed?  More Googling and found Fluke doesn't work with high-rez, just regular Flac files.  Yet more Googling came up with "Max" software recommended by Linn records for handling high-rez files.  This program successfully imported my albums into Itunes and they play perfectly "on the computer".... a quick properties check ("info" on a Mac) and the files are indeed still 96Khz files within Itunes.... good so far.

Next step is to rescan my Itunes library within SlimServer.... worked fine and I did a computer restart just to make sure everything was settled.

Go to try and play the new albums on my MW Transporter and find that there are two copies of each album displaying on the Transporter.... press play and no music!  The Transporter (or SlimServer?) just scans each track for a few seconds and goes to the next track without uttering a word.... no VDU needle activity either.  Go back to my computer and open SlimServer.... sure enough, there are two copies of each album within the Album cover?

So.... first question.... is there some kind of SlimServer setting that will enable my Transporter to actually make a noise when these albums are selected?

Secondly.... within SlimServer, is there a way to manually delete the unwanted duplicate tracks?  I checked Itunes again and there is only one copy of each album.  I did another restart and then scanned the library again, but no change.... still two copies on SlimServer.

I would greatly appreciate any help with this issue..... please don't use jargon... like I said, I'm a virgin...!  :wink:

Cheers,

Mark

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: SlimServer issues
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jun 2009, 02:03 am »
Mark,
Your itunes library is just one of the libraries that Squeeze Center (you should be using Squeeze Center not SlimServer...Slimerver is old unsupported software) can use...I dont use them.  I store my FLAC files in regular non-iTunes directories and point Squeeze Center there (iTunes holds my low rez MP3-like stuff but is not part of what Squeeze Center sees).  It's possible that it's showing two cuz of iTunes and wherever your actual physical files are located.

So, first, download the latest production Squeeze Center and rescan the entire library.   If your files are stored elsewhere other than iTunes (i.e you just point iTunes to them, not actually consolidated in iTunes) then uncheck the "use iTunes" capability in Squeeze Center. 

However, the best place to troubleshoot this issue is the Slim Devices Forum itself.  There are plenty of Logitech folks there who can answer these questions directly.

owenmd

« Reply #2 on: 19 Jun 2009, 05:28 pm »
Hi Ted... thanks,

Yes.... sorry, I am actually using the latest Squeeze Center.  I'm a little slack and disinterested with technical detail nowadays.... I just want it to work!   :oops:

I have a ton of regular CD's within Itunes on my computer hard drive that I haven't backed up yet.... works fine.  Am I correct in thinking you can only point Squeeze center to one destination.... ie, either a separate music directory or ITunes?  If so, how do you play both hi-rez and low-rez Itunes through your Transporter with both file types being in different places?

Would I do better loading all my music onto an external hard drive and pointing both Squeeze Center and ITunes to this destination?

Seems you can't delete albums directly on Squeeze Center, all you can do is update with a new scan and theoretically, it should then be an exact  duplicate of the source.... does this sound right...?  I still don't understand why the 96Khz file plays fine on my computer, but won't work on the Transporter.... even if there are two copies of it?

I was hoping to avoid the Slim Devices forum.... those guys scare me...!   :icon_lol:  I was hoping its OK to post this here, as its only the High-rez stuff that's giving me the issue...?

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 19 Jun 2009, 05:43 pm »
Mark,
it is VERY ok to post here.  :)  Well figure it out.  We need some details.  I hear three or four issues and need them isolated:
1)  hirez doesn't play on the TP (could be settings......96k doesn't play in FLAC if you are doing the unusually-but-what-I-do process of transcoding them to PCM on the fly.  Keep them in FLAC and they should be fine.)  What are the file formats that don't play?  What resolutions don't play?
2) iTunes is your library of choice? 
3) can't get shortcuts to work (shortcuts are Windows pointers, they are called something else in MAC, that tell Squeeze Center to look in other directories for more music)
4) Squeeze Center is the server, and yes, deleting songs or files is not it's purpose.  Do that in the file system.  I use SC (aka Squeeze Center) as a test for duplicate songs, etc.  I have four copies of Giant Steps (remastered, etc.) and now realize i don't want all of them in my library.  It's good for checking metatdata/tags too (spelling errors, etc.) but NOT for it's clean-up.

So.......what version of SC?  Do you have 'use iTunes" checked in setup?  What file formats are you using?  Do you use playlists?

NOTE:  I'm gonna ask Squeeze Center on an APPLE MAC veterans to chime in here too...I'm a PC guy. 

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #4 on: 19 Jun 2009, 06:02 pm »
Does this article help on the duplicate front?

http://www.alexbr.com/wblog/?p=34

I know saw an article recently about cleaning up duplicates in SlimCenter...I'll try and find it later tonight.

George

rydenfan

« Reply #5 on: 19 Jun 2009, 06:18 pm »
Mark, first of all lets separate your issues to try and make it easier to help. There are itunes issues and Slimserver issues.

1. with itunes you can import any type of high-rez material you want. Simply go to File > Add to library > and select the folder and itunes will add it. The thing you need to be aware of is your Audio Midi settings. itunes DOES NOT change sample rates for you. Every time you want to change a sample rate you need to quit itunes, go into your Audio Midi and select the resolution you wish to play, then re-open itunes and play the files. They may sound a bit clunky but I just moved my Audio Midi down to my toolbar at the bottom and now it is quite an easy process.
Also, I think you mentioned your music is in Flac, is that correct? it that is the case you cannot import to itunes because itunes does not support FLAC. You will need to either use Apple Lossless or AIFF.

2. Your Squeezecenter issues are a bit puzzling to me. I ran Squeezecenter from a Mac for quite some time and have not heard of these issues. You are correct that you cannot delete albums from Squeezecenter. It is simply displaying the folder it is given. It is a different animal from itunes. You will need to delete the album from your folder and then do a complete re-scan for it to disappear from Squeezecenter. Make sure when you do the re-scan thyou do not simply do the look for new or changed music; make sure to do the clear library and rescan feature. Then sometimes you will need to reload the page a few time for the cache. Tries these couple things and then let us now how it stands so we can help.

owenmd

« Reply #6 on: 19 Jun 2009, 06:38 pm »
Thank you Gentlemen... much appreciated.

Still trying to figure it out, but George's post may have something there.... Squeeze center seems to be aware of the master folder in "my documents"  for the albums.... even though its set to point to iTunes.  I don't have any master folders for any other music because they were imported using CD's.

The Max program imports Flac files into iTunes by changing them to the equivalent of Apple Lossless.... thats how I understand it anyway?

Sorry David, I'm not familiar with this "audio-midi" thing.... where is it located on a Mac?

Good tip on the "clear library" and rescan... I didn't do that... thanks.  I will keep working and report back later.

Mark

owenmd

« Reply #7 on: 19 Jun 2009, 07:49 pm »
Ok.... getting somewhere.... my Mac saved a copy of my files to "my music" without me knowing.... so Squeeze Center was reading both copies... hence the duplicate.

Itunes stiil plays high-rez fine on the computer, but my Transporter is now saying:  Problem, cant open file.?

Still got issues, but at least they're different issues  :scratch:

rydenfan

« Reply #8 on: 19 Jun 2009, 07:58 pm »
Not to beat a dead horse, but itunes is NOT playing your high-rez fine. You have to change your Audio Midi settings in order for it to play it correctly and the track not be up-sampled or down-sampled by Quicktime.

You asked about where to find Audio Midi. Applications > Utilities > Audio Midi
Please do not take this the wrong way but I think you need to spend a little time to better understand all the subtle nuances needed to make computer audio work properly. I know you said earlier you are not interested in the technical stuff and just want it to work, but that is simply not a reality should you want it to work properly and achieve the most from it. I would suggest spending some time on AC and on the Computer Audiophile site and learning more about all the proper settings. I know it will be a bit of work but it will certainly be beneficial in the long run.

owenmd

« Reply #9 on: 19 Jun 2009, 09:33 pm »
Thanks for the useful and informative consultation David  :scratch:  I think I will now go away and better understand the subtle nuances needed....  :o

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #10 on: 21 Jun 2009, 05:31 pm »
Mark,
Sorry...been away from the computer for awhile.  OK, let's see now.  i think it might help all of us if you listed your "need to haves" first, and told us what exactly are you seeing as error messages or hangups.  We'll figure this out...I promise.   :)  It is the goal of this Circle to get people to a comfort level with HiREz music, and the first step for many folks is exactly what you're going through....computer audio synergy/connectivity issues.  It's more complicated than spinning discs and is many times a simultaneous equation (two or more things need to change at the same time).  Let's take it one step at a time and it will make sense.  Really, it will.   If we get too technical, let's make sure we back off one degree and start again.  Once done, it is then usually a breeze to keep updated.  :D

What is your MAC audio midi set for (i.e 16/44, 24/96, etc.)?

owenmd

« Reply #11 on: 23 Jun 2009, 05:26 pm »
Hi Ted,

Many thanks for "your" cordial perspective  :).  Sorry, just been too busy to get to this having already spent too much time on the issue.... I will get to it and post my eventual solution.