Bicycling Off-Road

shanachie

Re: Bicycling Off-Road
« Reply #1120 on: 21 May 2013, 05:23 pm »
I've found that buying used can sometimes save you quite a bit of coin, and if you're just getting your feet wet with the sport, it can prove to be a better investment.

I bought a kona hardtail as my first mountain bike for $400. It came with decent shifters, a 4 inch fork, and hydraulic discs and it was basically new. At the time it cost new about $1000! The best part is that I sold it a year later for $400 and basically got a huge discount off of my next bike, which I also bought used.

This second bike's story probably applies less to you, but there is a part of the story that should be kept in mind when buying used. I learned the hard way that often times the warranties that come with bike frames are more difficult to have honored when your bike is older and you're the second owner.

Oh and I'm new here! I live and ride in Fruita, CO. Come by and I'll show you around sometime. Our trails are awesome.

WireNut

« Reply #1121 on: 21 May 2013, 11:18 pm »

Have any thoughts about this MTN bike/brand, Felt Nine 70 (29er) priced at $719. I plan on test riding one tomorrow. Never heard of Felt before. http://www.feltbicycles.com/USA/2013/Mountain/Nine-Series/Nine-70.aspx

audiogoober

« Reply #1122 on: 21 May 2013, 11:40 pm »
Have any thoughts about this MTN bike/brand, Felt Nine 70 (29er) priced at $719. I plan on test riding one tomorrow. Never heard of Felt before. http://www.feltbicycles.com/USA/2013/Mountain/Nine-Series/Nine-70.aspx

Never heard of Felt. Craigslist usually has a wide selection of Specialized, Gary Fisher, Klien etc for very good prices...especially this time of year. Spring and fall are the best. I snagged a $3500 Stumpjumper a few years ago for $700. I'm also picking up a mint HotRocks for my son on Thursday....hardly used and mint for $100!

jackman

« Reply #1123 on: 22 May 2013, 12:05 am »
Felt is a well established brand and, like Trek, Giant, Cannondale, Specialized, etc., they make a wide range of bikes.  Not familiar with that model but Felt makes decent stuff and that bike is probably made in the same plant as comparably priced Specialized and Cannondale bikes.  Nothing special but not bad.  I'm not sure about low end disc brakes.  Maybe someone with experience will chime in. 

I like the 29" wheels and the overall look of the bike.  Ride one and tell us what you think. 

WireNut

« Reply #1124 on: 22 May 2013, 11:07 pm »
 Well, I dropped the ball on my first bike purchase today but I’ll tell you about my bike later.
First, I’d like to tell you all about my first riding experience on a local paved bike trail today.
I got stopped and questioned by 3 police officer’s along the trail and the third officer was holding an automatic assault rifle  :uzi:.
I was like :wtf: was I speeding, am I tresspassing,  :scratch:   

Turns out that someone had just robbed a store and was in the area on foot, probably on the bike trail, :o GREAT.
I turned around and was heading back to my car and got stopped by a 4th cop. Sir, you need to leave, we’re getting out the dog’s.
Ok officer, I’m outer here, please tell that other cop to put the machine gun down. See ya officer’s. I hope this shit doesn’t happen everyday down here or I ain’t comin back no mo. As I was riding down the trail I was hoping the officer with the assault rifle didn't need to do some practicing.  :uzi:

« Last Edit: 23 May 2013, 06:40 am by WireNut »

vortrex

« Reply #1125 on: 22 May 2013, 11:12 pm »
in CA, cops are in the woods with radar guns clocking mtn bikers on the trails.  I also got pulled over for no helmet.

shanachie

« Reply #1126 on: 23 May 2013, 03:12 pm »
Seriously? I hate pulling this card, but that is a royal waste of taxpayer money IMO.

mcgsxr

« Reply #1127 on: 23 May 2013, 04:49 pm »
Where I live in ON, Canada, it is not the law to wear a helmet on a bike.  That said, I do. 

I don't think there is a speed limit on any offroad trails here either, but when it comes to mixed use trails, it is good if folks don't try to set a PB for a trail on a Sunday afternoon when others might be out there enjoying it too.

Not much scares parents of young kids more than some yahoo on a full suspension bike blasting down a multi use trail in the suburbs!

Lots of dedicated trail out there for that fun, and good friends of mine have even switched to night riding with serious lighting, just to avoid running into other trail users.

vortrex

« Reply #1128 on: 23 May 2013, 05:12 pm »
Seriously? I hate pulling this card, but that is a royal waste of taxpayer money IMO.

no joke.  I even got pulled over another time for not having my chin strap buckled.

tdangelo

« Reply #1129 on: 23 May 2013, 05:43 pm »
1st ride at Graham Swamp in Palm Coast FL and I fell pretty hard - fractured a rib and pulled a groin muscle. That place is a bit too advanced for a newbie like me  :duh:

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #1130 on: 23 May 2013, 06:30 pm »
Ouch, broken ribs hurt! Looks like your bike is ok though...  :thumb:
« Last Edit: 23 May 2013, 09:05 pm by DaveC113 »

jackman

« Reply #1131 on: 23 May 2013, 07:18 pm »
Yikes!  Don't kill yourself on that bike!  I sound like a geezer but the older I get, the longer it takes me to recover from injuries.  My shoulder was injured more than ten years ago and it's never been the same.  Most of all, watch out for cars!

Cheers,

Jack

tdangelo

« Reply #1132 on: 23 May 2013, 07:47 pm »
Ouch, broken ribs hurt! Looks like you're bike is ok though...  :thumb:
yeah, the bikes good and I'm getting better ;)

tdangelo

« Reply #1133 on: 23 May 2013, 07:49 pm »
Yikes!  Don't kill yourself on that bike!  I sound like a geezer but the older I get, the longer it takes me to recover from injuries.  My shoulder was injured more than ten years ago and it's never been the same.  Most of all, watch out for cars!

Cheers,

Jack
I hear ya - I've been to other single tracks but this one is a bit hard and 7 miles long - check out the Youtube videos if your into it. It's been about 12 days and is getting better. I'm glad I can ride my street bike ok - that doesn't seem to hurt the rib or groin. Cars, yes.. in Florida we have especially bad drivers..

JoshK

« Reply #1134 on: 4 Jul 2013, 11:45 pm »
So I've been riding a bit more lately.  Trying to get back into shape.   Two weekends ago I rode Hilton Falls with the "defiant MTB crew".  This place is a continual rock garden with one short run of fast flowy ST through the trees to catch your breath and then back to rock gardens.   I suffered 12km and that was all I could muster.   Last weekend was a long weekend up here in Canada and I went out for the weekend with the same crew.  This time we did Kolapore, which still has some rocks, but much more tame technically, but much more elevation changes.   Did 15miles over 3 hours before having to take one of our friends out to a trailhead to be taken to the hospital by ambulance for "something strange with his EKG".

Camped out Saturday night and did DH at Blue Mountain on Sunday.   Great blast even though only a few runs were open.  Maiden voyage on my Canfield One that I built myself.   Managed to shoot the first run. https://vimeo.com/69478868 (that is a blue run called Fresh Air, the easiest one in the park).  Unfortunately later in the day, one of my crew hit a tree, broke both his collarbone and his shoulder blade.   Then the final run of the day, being super tuckered out was talked into riding the double black, Shotglass, that opened up moments before (previously closed due to mud...our mud is clay as impossible to ride).  Made it down 90% of the way through some really sketchy steep as heck, rooty as heck and super slippery sections, after my tires were caked in mud and hit a skinny 4' up and 90º to the right....welll I didn't make it 90º and took a header off it.  Managed to only scratch my face and blacken my eye and over extent my shoulder.   Shoulder is sore, but I am living to try it again.

Ride on!

AB

« Reply #1135 on: 5 Jul 2013, 02:53 am »
You're all smiles so it couldn't be all bad. In fact, from that pic, you look like it was all good.

JoshK

« Reply #1136 on: 5 Jul 2013, 07:12 pm »
Yeah, I was laughing it off while the girls in our group were making a big deal. 

AB

« Reply #1137 on: 6 Jul 2013, 10:45 am »
Yeah, I was laughing it off while the girls in our group were making a big deal.

That's why you bring the girls along.  :thumb:

jackman

« Reply #1138 on: 29 Jul 2013, 08:22 pm »
UPDATE!

I rode Ft. Custer in Battle Creek, MI., last week and had a blast.  Here is a video of the trials we rode (not my video, just one from Youtube).  The trails look much harder in person, IMO, and I only crashed three times.  Two times were "equipment failure" related, my pedals were cranked up way too tight and my tires were pumped up way too full, 60psi.  After loosening the pedal tension and letting a lot of air out of my tires, I was able to get enough traction to navigate the courses at relatively high speeds.  Did I mention it was a blast?  Even though I bruised my ribs ten minutes into the ride.

After I returned home, I ditched the skinny 1.9" tires and picked up some giant WTB Wolverine 2.2 knobbies...tires I can run at 30 psi.  Can't wait to get back to the trails and try this one again.  It was very sandy and my skinny tires made it more difficult than it should have been.  My friend was riding a cool Gary Fisher hardtail 29er and he rolled over every obstacle in sight.  I am sold on 29ers after watching him destroy the Fort!

Here is a video of the trails we rode:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2j2St_TN4S0

Any AC'ers in the area interesting in joining me sometime, please let me know.  It was a super fun ride!  I'm still getting my MTB legs back after an 8 year break.  You guys in western MI are very lucky to have such a beautiful place in your backyard!

Cheers,

Jack

LadyDog

« Reply #1139 on: 29 Jul 2013, 09:56 pm »
Glad you are alright Josh.  Some serious stuff there.

Jack, looks like fun.  Other than the impolite roadie passing everyone.  Maybe I need to ditch one of the road bikes for an ATB again.

Though from the both of you, it appears to be a bit dangerous.  ;)