Micromega MyDac. Anyone heard this unit?

sonicxtc

Micromega MyDac. Anyone heard this unit?
« on: 24 Dec 2012, 03:46 pm »
There's some interesting buzz about this unit.
I'm wondering if anyone here has actually heard it.

I'm considering this and possibly a NuForce DDA 100, which is actually a "power dac," so
it's sort of apples and oranges. Any input is welcome. Thank you.

werd

Re: Micromega MyDac. Anyone heard this unit?
« Reply #1 on: 27 Dec 2012, 09:45 pm »
The internal dacs I have heard on their amps are very nice. Very synthetic digital sound but good in its own right. I like them and would certainly try this dac for the price for USB.

Ottawa HiFi

« Reply #2 on: 28 Jan 2013, 05:11 pm »
I currently have a MicroMega Mydac in my system at this time.

It's a fine unit for $400.  Not sure how to state how the bass sounds.  There is lots of it, but the detail of complex passages is harder to defince than say a hi-end dac such as Bryston units.

Listening to Dave Brubeck's Take Five, the DAC performs extremely well and betters $400 from three years ago.

Bottom line:  it's a good unit for the price, but there is better.

maxima95

« Reply #3 on: 9 Feb 2013, 12:43 am »
I purchased a MyDac for SPDIF use, fully expecting to discard it in a few weeks.  To my surprise, it exceeded my expectations.  I am currently trying to squeeze the most out of it with a good power cord and tweaks.  I first tried it with the stock cord (NP c7). Then using a cryoed c7/c14 adapter, I tried an old Volex with hospital connectors - better.  Then an older Shunyata Diamondback - better.  Finally, with a Lessloss DFPC - Better.  I have a VH Audio Flavor 3 PC with Furutech connectors (c7 IEC) on order to see if bypassing the c7/c14 adapter improves things.

Tried 4 Herbie's Audio Lab baby booties (move toward neutrality; maybe too neutral for me). Tried 1 Myrtle block on top - Good.

I know there are better and I am looking at EE Minimax (Rolled Op amps), W4S Dac 2, and the BMC Pure Dac (too new; no info).  But right now, it is sounding a little too good to discard.