Outstanding Demo CD's etc...

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: Outstanding Demo CD's etc...
« Reply #620 on: 27 Dec 2009, 02:51 pm »

Listening to Dave Matthews Band's Big Whiskey and The GrooGrux King now. I do not remember if it was recommended yet, but it is a great CD! There is no a weak cut out of 13. Very well recorded, IMO.

Definitely their best and most complete effort since "Before These Crowded Streets".

George

TJC712

« Reply #621 on: 28 Dec 2009, 05:24 am »
For those of you who enjoy Latin jazz, listen to Psychadelic Blues by Poncho Sanchez. Some great latin grooves throughout the whole CD.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #622 on: 28 Dec 2009, 05:35 am »
Up, up, up, up, up, up by Ani DiFranco on her label Righteous Babe.  I get the feeling she is very hands on with the production and plays with very sympathetic accompaniment here.  It's pretty naked song and sound and a personal favorite for both.

Now there's a refreshing artist who's gone out on a limb from time to time. While I admit that I'm not familiar with that specific track, I've always found her music to be well recorded for the most part. Another "acquired taste" to say the least with a style all her own. While being impartial regarding her political/social commentaries, I do enjoy listening to her varied works. She always has fascinating, honest, crude lyrics and plays the guitar quite well. Ordered the aforementioned cd and look forward to listening. If nothing else, Ami is always interesting!
That's the album title, my man.  Don't imagine every track will be involving (who is) but most are for me and I hope for you.  I will be checkin out Pancho Sanchez PDQ.

TJC712

« Reply #623 on: 28 Dec 2009, 05:52 am »
Up, up, up, up, up, up by Ani DiFranco on her label Righteous Babe.  I get the feeling she is very hands on with the production and plays with very sympathetic accompaniment here.  It's pretty naked song and sound and a personal favorite for both.

Now there's a refreshing artist who's gone out on a limb from time to time. While I admit that I'm not familiar with that specific track, I've always found her music to be well recorded for the most part. Another "acquired taste" to say the least with a style all her own. While being impartial regarding her political/social commentaries, I do enjoy listening to her varied works. She always has fascinating, honest, crude lyrics and plays the guitar quite well. Ordered the aforementioned cd and look forward to listening. If nothing else, Ami is always interesting!
That's the album title, my man.  Don't imagine every track will be involving (who is) but most are for me and I hope for you.  I will be checkin out Pancho Sanchez PDQ.
Yeah I Know... the cd came that same day I posted that. I like it, albeit only pretty much a single listen so far. Her cd's require multiple listens (more so than most artists) before really appreciating the sum of the parts! Incidentally, I happen to very much like that track. Her work tends to grow on you over time.

TJC712

« Reply #624 on: 28 Dec 2009, 05:59 am »
For any old ELP fans, I just listened to the remastered version of From the Beginning from the Trilogy cd. I found it very interesting (the separation, the harshness of the acoustic guitar, the muted electric lead). I liked it, thought it had a strange sound; curious of others' impressions.

Srgtfury

« Reply #625 on: 28 Dec 2009, 08:27 pm »
The Avatar CD, is ging to be a moreor less standard-pick a track, I like 2,11,12 and 13 for Demo)-CD, as it is going to be a movie seen by everyone looking at Salk speakers, and the composition is quite recognizable throughout.  The sound stage, depth and range are all spot on for demo of this genre...

Thank you very much

Fury

TJC712

« Reply #626 on: 29 Dec 2009, 05:19 am »
The 1989 recording - Laura Nyro/Live At The Bottom Line is another worthy purchase.

TJC712

« Reply #627 on: 29 Dec 2009, 06:07 am »
Digging in the rock archives tonight, threw on Jethro Tull's Thick As A Brick. Needless to say, something I haven't listened to in a while. I have to say that the audio quality was amazingly good; pleasantly surprised! Acoustic guitar, vocals, flute, drums, organ all very crisp. While not something I'll listen to often, I was impressed.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #628 on: 29 Dec 2009, 10:24 pm »
PART THREE UPDATE TO THE MASTER LIST:

PAGE 28:

George Harrsion, Jeff Lynn, Bob Dylan, Tom Petty, Roy Orbinson, "Traveling Willburys"

Indigo Girls "Rite of Passage"

Iron and Wine "The Shepards Dog"

"Two Rooms: Celebrating the Songs of Elton John & Bernie Taupin"

Peter Gabriel "Up"

Poncho Sanchez "Psychedelic Blues"

Norah Jones "The Fall'

Oscar Peterson Trio "Oscar Peterson with the Nelson Riddle Orchestra"

Paolo Nutini "The Streets"

PAGE 29:

Basia "Time & Tide"

Traffic "When the Eagles Fly"

Jamie Cullum "Twentysomething'

Gene Ammons "Boss Tenor"

Peter Gabriel "Shaking the Tree"

George Benson "Breezin"

Dave Brubeck "All The Things We Are"

Kurt Ellings "Dedicated to You"

PAGE 30:

Acoustic Alchemy "Natural Elements", "American/English"

Strunz & Farah, "Americas", "Frontera"

Sylvia McNair, "Sure Thing"

Luiz Bonfa "Non Stop Brazil"

PAGE 31:

Ani DiFranco, "Up Up Up Up Up Up"

James Taylor, "James Taylor at Christmas"

Dave Brubeck "London Flat, London Sharp"

Stan Getz and Charlie Byrd. "Jazz Samba"

Jeff Lorber. "Flipside"

Jow Sample, "Old Places Old Faces"

Fourplay, "Between the Sheets"

Pat Coli, "Steps"

Dave Matthews, "Big Whiskey and The GrooGrux King"

Elton John, "Tumbleweed Connection"

PAGE 32:

Laura Nyro, "Live At The Bottom Line"

Jethro Tull, Thick As A Brick"

Link added to the First post in the thread.

All the best
Alex

aa

TJC712

« Reply #629 on: 31 Dec 2009, 05:41 am »
Some Jazz pearls from a couple of heavyweights: Rosemary Clooney's At Long Last with the Count Basie Orchestra (although recorded in the twilight of her career, she's still Rosie and there's something to be said about the many years of experience singing these standards evident in her performance). Safe to say she knows a thing or two about how to swing... especially backed by that band.
Also check out Kenny Burrell's God Bless the Child; very well done (top flight lineup... Ron Carter, Freddie Hubbard, etc, nice production, great sound).

TJC712

« Reply #630 on: 31 Dec 2009, 06:10 am »
Some Jazz pearls from a couple of heavyweights: Rosemary Clooney's At Long Last with the Count Basie Orchestra (although recorded in the twilight of her career, she's still Rosie and there's something to be said about the many years of experience singing these standards evident in her performance). Safe to say she knows a thing or two about how to swing... especially backed by that band.
Also check out Kenny Burrell's God Bless the Child; very well done (top flight lineup... Ron Carter, Freddie Hubbard, etc, nice production, great sound).

Had to throw one more out there after a night of some listening... We Get Requests from The Oscar Peterson Trio; hard pressed to find a tighter jazz trio anywhere. Very high quality sound. Pick out any one of the instruments and just listen and smile.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #631 on: 31 Dec 2009, 07:01 am »

Had to throw one more out there after a night of some listening... We Get Requests from The Oscar Peterson Trio; hard pressed to find a tighter jazz trio anywhere. Very high quality sound. Pick out any one of the instruments and just listen and smile.

Since you mentioned Oscar Peterson....try one of his finest solo releases.... :thumb:

"Tracks"......Link...

There is a story that goes along with it....check it out...

http://lostandsound.wordpress.com/2007/12/28/most-perfect-sound-from-the-black-forest/

A few comments....
"Tracks" is a rare solo piano album by Oscar Peterson from 1970 recorded in Germany under the supervision of the noted sound engineer Hans George Brunner-Schwer, owner of the MPS record label. The first thing to note is the superb quality of the recording - the sound of the piano is excellent - resonant, rich, immediate and sonorous with a great dynamic range. The second thing is Oscar's playing: in 1970 he was at the height of his awesome powers and all ten pieces are, without exception, magnificent. The selections can be divided roughly between bravura up-tempo pieces (such as "Give me the Simple Life", "Honeysuckle Rose" and "A Little Jazz Exercise") and slower, more pensive and reflective ballads (such as "Django" and "A Child is Born"). The rendition of "Django" is particularly noteworthy for its emotional range and harmonic explorations. The CD re-issue has reproduced the original cover artwork and, in addition to the original liner notes by Gene Lees, there are new re-issue liner notes by Richard Palmer (editor to Oscar on his recent autobiography). This album is, without question, one of Oscar's finest - a most interesting contrast to his trio work - and highly recommended.

This is one of the few Oscar Peterson solo Piano records. Norman Granz and Duke Ellington had been trying to pursade Oscar to record a solo Piano album for quite a while and in November 1970 this was the result.

The man responsible for producing the album was Hans Georg Brunner-Schwer and he deserves a lot of credit. Its one of the best sounding solo Piano records ever produced. The moment you hear the first track you will begin to wonder how on earth all other Piano albums sound so bad in comparison. What does Hans know that other producers don't?!!

As for the playing, well this is Oscar Peterson at the absolute height of his powers. The opening track will leave you stunned:
Amazing locked hands chord work, wonderful single line improvisations. I'd love to see it written out, the speed and dexterity is unbelievable. In a similar but different vein the ironically titled "A Little Jazz Exercise" is another virtuoso display, incorporating Oscars amazing fast stride playing. Still this is what you'd expect from Oscar.

What you might not expect is his marvellous performances of A Child is Born, Dancing on the Ceiling and Django. These are beautifully played and shows a side of Oscars playing that is frequently ignored because of his amazing technique. OK in some of the solos there are quite a few notes, but the reading of the tunes are restrained and subtle. These tracks are also great demonstrations of the wonderful sound of the Piano on this album.

For me this is one of the 5 best Oscar Peterson records you can get - an absolutely essential purchase.

Amazon Samples....  :thumb:

jimdgoulding

« Reply #632 on: 31 Dec 2009, 09:29 am »
Dang, Wolf, never (never!) seen you so prolific.  Love that passion, bean.  Fellas, and ladies, you might not think a recording made in the early days of stereo (Tom Dowd, bless his heart) is worth a shit today as exemplary.  Well, one dog (and a few others I know of) who's been around loves Mingus' Blues and Roots.  McLean's alto is a might biting and Dannie Richmond's drum kit is spread wide some ala the early days, but this mutha is solid earth, sound and soulwise.  Get a good seat, will ya?

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #633 on: 31 Dec 2009, 02:10 pm »
Hello to All!

Its the last day of 2009, so its the last time this year to get your demo quality recommendations in until NEXT year!!!

aa

Wolf...great story and great cd for sure!!

There was a person that posted somewhere in the internet 'ether' that asked where can I get speakers that will make a piano sound like a piano...well this cd would be the one cd to test that out with for sure!

All the best!

Alex

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #634 on: 31 Dec 2009, 04:51 pm »
I am listening to Larry Coryell's "Visions In Blue".

Absolutley WONDERFUL...

The Bolero cut is like Oscar Petersons fingers on a piano...but with Larry Coryells fingers on a guitar...

Its 10+ min long but if you will hear an awesome presentation of Bolero by someone that really
can knock it out of the park..

Most of the tracks on this CD are demo quality for sure.

You may have to be in the mood for some...its Coryell playing Ravel and Gershwin...

Thanks to lonewolfny42 for the 'gift'.... aa

All the best
Alex

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #635 on: 1 Jan 2010, 04:31 pm »
Hello!

Happy New Year! This my first post this year!!

:lol:

I listened to Jamie Cullum's "Catching Tales". Its very well done and recorded well.
Some of the tunes I like are the more slow and deliberate songs, but this is a good demo to listen to.

I also listened to Michael Buble's "Michael Buble".
The first cut "Fever" blew me away....such 3 dimensional presentation...so well done. Again I favor the more slow songs...the Sinatra 'crooner' type...like: Fever, Summerwind, Put Your Head on My Shoulder, and The Way You Look Tonight.

Enjoy!

All the best
Alex
 aa

lonewolfny42

« Reply #636 on: 1 Jan 2010, 06:30 pm »
I am listening to Larry Coryell's "Visions In Blue".

Absolutley WONDERFUL...

Glad you like it Alex....it is "out of print"...but there are a few used on Amazon....

Happy New Year....  :beer:

TJC712

« Reply #637 on: 2 Jan 2010, 12:29 am »

Another fun listen from Peterson is his Plays Count Basie CD with Buddy Rich sitting in and filling out the rythm section. Some up tempo tracks here with Buddy doing some nice brush work.

Art_Chicago

« Reply #638 on: 2 Jan 2010, 05:22 am »

+1! It's been my favorite since I got my first "hi-fi" system in 1996.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #639 on: 3 Jan 2010, 07:04 am »
Here's another you guys might enjoy..... Jazz

McCoy Tyner featuring Michael Brecker - "Infinity"

Well recorded album on the GRP label....Besides the fact that Tyner's group on this album is unbelievably tight, Brecker's contribution takes this album over the top. His solo on "Impressions" is worth the cost of the album alone.
Rudy Van Gelder was the master recording engineer on this release... :thumb:

Check it out.... 8)