iFi DC Power Supply

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
iFi DC Power Supply
« on: 21 Apr 2018, 02:01 pm »
Hi,
 I just got my Audio Advisor catalog. On page 24 there is a new item called the iFi Ultra Quiet DC Power Supply. It looks like a traditional Chinese made Wall Wart power supply that gets supplied with items needing one. The Schiit products for example. I was wondering if anyone out there has tried this 49 dollar devise with any gained improvement in sound?......thanks Mark Korda

Thunder240

Re: iFi DC Power Supply
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jun 2018, 06:27 am »
I can't speak to the particular model you mentioned, but if it's at all like their iPower, which has the appearance of an ordinary wall wart, looks are deceiving! To my ears, my iPower sounds quieter than my more expensive TeraDak DC-30W LPS, despite its being a SMPS. Unfortunately it doesn't provide as much current, so if you are thinking of getting one, make sure it is sufficient for whatever device you plan to use with it.

There is a guy over at Computer Audiophile who posted measurements of the iPower along with several other power supplies, both SMPS and LPS, and a 9V battery. In his ripple test, the iPower beat everything but the battery. I'll post a link if the mod will let me (I'm guessing it's against forum rules.)

eis

• Y M I
« Reply #2 on: 3 Jul 2018, 10:26 pm »
I use one on a Raspberry Pi 3b+. Compared to the standard walwart it came with, it made a noticeably difference. Nice upgrade for the price.

YMMV

OzarkTom

« Reply #3 on: 4 Jul 2018, 02:40 am »
The only AC item I found that beat the battery was the Astron PSU. The Astron is a well kept secret in the audio world today.

There are always cheap used ones on Ebay. :thumb:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=astron+power+supply&_sacat=0&_sop=15

Buy used and if you do not like it, resell it. Not a lot of money wasted.

Yomaha

« Reply #4 on: 13 Jul 2018, 07:23 pm »
Any power supply options ppl like for cable modems?  I have a Comcast cable modem going into my Google Ethernet Mesh Network which flows into my DSD Sr.  I'm wondering if upgrading the power supply on that Comcast box would help.  Thoughts?

ssshhh

« Reply #5 on: 22 Oct 2018, 02:48 am »
The only AC item I found that beat the battery was the Astron PSU. The Astron is a well kept secret in the audio world today.

There are always cheap used ones on Ebay. :thumb:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=astron+power+supply&_sacat=0&_sop=15

This is a nice suggestion!
I used to have something similar in Italy to power a Chinese T-Amp in my 2nd desk system and it worked pretty well. You may also consider using these cheap linear power supply to replace the switching ones for music dedicated external Hard Drive... Keep in mind that some of them may buzz a little...