Salk speaker suggestion

rlal

Salk speaker suggestion
« on: 21 Oct 2017, 11:13 pm »
Hi,

Good evening I am new to this group, I have moved to US three months back and I am looking for a new speaker.
I was using Harbeth Compact 7es3 speaker with Devialet 120 amplifier/dac back home. Now I am looking for a good speaker
from Salk to pair it with Devialet 120. I am confused  :cry: between Song3A, Song3 Encore and SoundScape8. I need substantial improvement over
my previous Harbeth. I talked to Jim and he told go with Song3A or even Song3. He is a very nice gentle man and he will
never push for the expensive model. My listening room ( an apartment) is 12 by 16 feet in dimension and listening will be in the smallest dimension direction.

Can you guys suggest what could be the best option based on experience.

Thanks in advance.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
Re: Salk speaker suggestion
« Reply #1 on: 23 Oct 2017, 09:20 pm »
I'm not sure anyone can give you better advice than Jim.   Any of those speakers will have deeper bass than the Harbeth,  and I'm not sure your room is big enough to justify the SS8's.  Was there anything about the Harbeth's sonic signature that was bothering you?

JDoyle

« Reply #2 on: 24 Oct 2017, 12:35 am »
...and I'm not Jim, but while I have the S3E's currently on order, I really lusted for the Exotica 3's.  8)

However the price, physical weight and need to add another power outlet were the cons in my decision making process.  :cry:   I then strongly considered the Exotica monitors, those Seas Alnico speakers are just wonderful and might be the perfect speaker for an apartment  :thumb:

JD

JonnyFive

« Reply #3 on: 24 Oct 2017, 12:40 pm »
I've owned the Exoticas and SS8s, they might be a bit overkill for your listening room.  My vote is always for a 3 way design, and I don't think you could go wrong with any of the Song 3 models.  The Tang Band mid driver in the base Song 3 model measures very flat, and it is very well reviewed.  The Accuton in the Song 3A is well-known, and a lot of people love its clarity (I am not in the Accuton camp, however).  The magnesium Eton midrange in the Song 3E is an interesting new midrange that I'm contemplating in a new design.

I really don't think you could go wrong with any of those choices.  If budget is a concern, then the Song 3 is undoubtedly the biggest bang for the buck.  If performance is the ultimate goal, I'd vote the Song 3A or Song 3E.   

rlal

« Reply #4 on: 24 Oct 2017, 12:41 pm »
I'm not sure anyone can give you better advice than Jim.   Any of those speakers will have deeper bass than the Harbeth,  and I'm not sure your room is big enough to justify the SS8's.  Was there anything about the Harbeth's sonic signature that was bothering you?

Thanks a lot for your reply, I discussed with Jim a lot and Jim suggested to go with either Song 3 or Song3A.
I have showed Jim my apartment floor plan. I just moved to US and I wanted something better than Harbeth Compact 7es3.
So initially I was planning to get Super HL5 plus from Harbeth. I found British speakers are bit overpriced in US compared to Europe and Japan. Then I was searching for alternate options and came to know about Salk speakers. Since I have used British speaker I want to try a good US brand. Even I dont think I need SS8  (due to room and budget) but I was worried later I shouldn't feel bad about my decision. So I wanted to hear from experienced people.

Thanks for your time and advice.

rlal

« Reply #5 on: 24 Oct 2017, 01:11 pm »
...and I'm not Jim, but while I have the S3E's currently on order, I really lusted for the Exotica 3's.  8)

However the price, physical weight and need to add another power outlet were the cons in my decision making process.  :cry:   I then strongly considered the Exotica monitors, those Seas Alnico speakers are just wonderful and might be the perfect speaker for an apartment  :thumb:

JD

Thank you very much for your reply.

What are the factors which made you to finalize S3E's over Song 3A? Or you were only interested in Exotica 3's and Encore model only.
Even I feel I dont need SS8 for my present room and due to budget constraints.

Thanks.

rlal

« Reply #6 on: 24 Oct 2017, 01:20 pm »
I've owned the Exoticas and SS8s, they might be a bit overkill for your listening room.  My vote is always for a 3 way design, and I don't think you could go wrong with any of the Song 3 models.  The Tang Band mid driver in the base Song 3 model measures very flat, and it is very well reviewed.  The Accuton in the Song 3A is well-known, and a lot of people love its clarity (I am not in the Accuton camp, however).  The magnesium Eton midrange in the Song 3E is an interesting new midrange that I'm contemplating in a new design.
I really don't think you could go wrong with any of those choices.  If budget is a concern, then the Song 3 is undoubtedly the biggest bang for the buck.  If performance is the ultimate goal, I'd vote the Song 3A or Song 3E.

Thanks  lot for your suggestions. Even I am thinking of a 3 Way design. SS8 will be an overkill for my living room and I was only thinking of SS8 for future needs.
 Accuton is well known and I am confused between Song 3A or Song 3E. Will ask Jim and finalize. Thanks once again.

Hydro

« Reply #7 on: 24 Oct 2017, 03:17 pm »
I own SS-10's and love them. I heard the Song 3A's at RMAF and they are very close to the SS-10's in many ways. At their price and size it would be hard to find a better speaker.

R Swerdlow

« Reply #8 on: 24 Oct 2017, 03:17 pm »
Thanks  lot for your suggestions. Even I am thinking of a 3 Way design. SS8 will be an overkill for my living room and I was only thinking of SS8 for future needs.
Accuton is well known and I am confused between Song 3A or Song 3E. Will ask Jim and finalize. Thanks once again.
Remember that the Song 3E cabinet is larger than the 3A.  That may make a visual difference in your 12×16 foot room.  In that regard, I think Jim's advice to get the Song 3 or 3A makes sense.

The Song 3 and 3A both use a 7.5" woofer, in a 9.5" wide × 14.5" deep cabinet, and is rated to go down as low as 33 Hz.

The Song 3E uses a 9.5" woofer, in a 11.5" wide × 17" deep cabinet, and is rated as low as 25 Hz.

JonnyFive

« Reply #9 on: 24 Oct 2017, 03:22 pm »
I would be curious, for those that have heard both, how the Accuton and the Eton midranges compare to each other.

maplemusic

« Reply #10 on: 24 Oct 2017, 04:04 pm »
What is the recommended minimum room size for each of the speakers in Salk line up. I would like to know this at least for song 3 series and particularly SS8.

rlal

« Reply #11 on: 24 Oct 2017, 04:37 pm »
I would be curious, for those that have heard both, how the Accuton and the Eton midranges compare to each other.

I have not heard Song 3 Encore so I cannot answer, some one who heard both can share there opinion.

rlal

« Reply #12 on: 24 Oct 2017, 04:38 pm »
I own SS-10's and love them. I heard the Song 3A's at RMAF and they are very close to the SS-10's in many ways. At their price and size it would be hard to find a better speaker.

Thanks for letting me know your opinion about Song 3A.

JDoyle

« Reply #13 on: 24 Oct 2017, 05:20 pm »
Thank you very much for your reply.

What are the factors which made you to finalize S3E's over Song 3A? Or you were only interested in Exotica 3's and Encore model only.
Even I feel I dont need SS8 for my present room and due to budget constraints.

Thanks.

When I visited Jim, I auditioned the SS8's and the Exotica 3 (2015, long before the Song 3's).  I liked the E-3's better at this session, but the SS8's were pretty darn close (at least to my ears) in Jim's listening environment.  I figured in my room and with my musical tastes, the E-3's would be the better choice.  The downsides I listed regarding the E-3's made me seriously consider the E Monitors, but I too wanted a 3 way with a woofer.

The Song 3 Encores then came along, and that kinda sealed the deal for me since the larger woofer checks all my boxes.  While I haven't actually heard them, I'm confident I'm going to love them.  :D

If you do a search, someone posted how well they sound at low volumes, so in your apartment, that could be a definite plus.

JD

rlal

« Reply #14 on: 24 Oct 2017, 09:47 pm »
Thanks JDoyle for the reply. Will discuss with Jim and will arrive at a good decision.

will mac

« Reply #15 on: 25 Oct 2017, 06:36 am »
Me too ( Cell C90 and that new 4" Eton). Also curious how the new symphony 3" neo would compare to the tangband.

rlal

« Reply #16 on: 28 Oct 2017, 01:08 am »
Talked to Jim and finally ordered Song 3A model.
Thanks for all the help.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #17 on: 28 Oct 2017, 02:03 am »
Talked to Jim and finally ordered Song 3A model.
Thanks for all the help.

Good choice. I think this is the best of the 3 series.