Home theater speakers vs PA speakers?

tknx

Home theater speakers vs PA speakers?
« on: 2 Jan 2017, 02:02 am »
Hi Jim and other AC denizens,

I have a bit of an odd question. My kids have taken up karaoke, and when I was thinking about hooking up their crappy little karaoke machine to the home theater, I ran across some articles saying that it could potentially damage home theater speakers and to use PA-type speakers. No details really about why except something about distortion (maybe feedback squeals?). Here is an example of that type of discussion: http://www.karaoke-tutor.com/karaoke-at-home/home-stereo-karaoke.html

Your take? Wouldn't want to blow my Veracity STs.

jsalk

Re: Home theater speakers vs PA speakers?
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jan 2017, 06:58 pm »
High levels of distortion can overtax a tweeter and cause damage.  And, of course, if there is loud feedback from the mic, that can do damage as well.  You might get away with using your speakers in this manner.  But it only takes one "accident" to ring up a significant repair bill.  I'd avoid this if it were me.

- Jim

ClarkFan

« Reply #2 on: 3 Jan 2017, 03:14 am »
I second Jim's comments with some hard-won personal experience.  Long, long ago, I used my AR3a's as the speakers for adding music during band breaks on street concert, putting them in the window of my bedroom.  Fried both mid-range speakers even though we weren't trying to play them loudly.  (The Acoustic Research company of 1973 replaced them under warranty, but that is another story.)  The lesson was that trying to play a stereo designed for use in a room doesn't work in a live music/larger venue setting.  Veracity STs are much valuable to take that risk.

billmcc

« Reply #3 on: 3 Jan 2017, 03:40 pm »
Hi Jim and other AC denizens,

I have a bit of an odd question. My kids have taken up karaoke, and when I was thinking about hooking up their crappy little karaoke machine to the home theater, I ran across some articles saying that it could potentially damage home theater speakers and to use PA-type speakers. No details really about why except something about distortion (maybe feedback squeals?). Here is an example of that type of discussion: http://www.karaoke-tutor.com/karaoke-at-home/home-stereo-karaoke.html

Your take? Wouldn't want to blow my Veracity STs.
When my daughter was younger we bought her an inexpensive karaoke machine with speakers that played more than loud enough for everyone to have fun. No way would I connect a karaoke machine to my HT system! I had a very close friend that fried both his RAAL tweeters on his Veracity STs due to a connection issue. It was a very expensive and time consuming issue!

Bill