GIK Table Traps

Scottdazzle

GIK Table Traps
« on: 24 Oct 2009, 09:32 pm »
I am pretty close to ordering 2 GIK elite pillar bass traps for the back corners and 2 GIK elite table traps as end tables near the side walls of my smallish listening room.  Does anyone have any experience with the table traps or other advice in general?

bmckenney

Re: GIK Table Traps
« Reply #1 on: 25 Oct 2009, 05:11 pm »
Not sure if you are aware of this or not, but there is a 10% off sale on some of the GIK products right now including Elite products.  The sale expires Nov 7.  I don't see the sale announcement on the website so you might want to just contact them.

I can't offer any advice on the products personally, other than obviously getting advice from Bryan at GIK.

orthobiz

« Reply #2 on: 25 Oct 2009, 05:15 pm »
Put the word
birthday
in the special offer box

I think the discount is on the website now

Paul

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #3 on: 25 Oct 2009, 06:29 pm »
The sale is indeed on now.  "birthday" works for the code

The Pillars work very well in corner and can be tweaked to work even deeper if you turn them at 45 degrees as this not only extends the leading edge of the absorber farther from the corner but also exposes 3 sides to the room instead of just 2.

The Tables can work very well for localized issues near the seating as well as for general decay time control.

Bryan

Scottdazzle

« Reply #4 on: 26 Oct 2009, 02:30 am »
Thanks guys. I didn't know about the discount.  :D  Looks like I have a few days to make up my mind. 

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #5 on: 26 Oct 2009, 03:59 pm »
Thanks guys. I didn't know about the discount.  :D  Looks like I have a few days to make up my mind.

You also need to send me a birthday card by Nov 7th!! :lol:

Yea every year we do a Glenn's birthday sale but keep it pretty low key. But I guess the secret is out!! :wink:

Scottdazzle

« Reply #6 on: 26 Oct 2009, 06:53 pm »
Glenn,

What, if anything, will table traps do for bass absorption?  I'm definite on the pillars but haven't decided about the tables.  Thanks!

Scott

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #7 on: 26 Oct 2009, 07:47 pm »
They'll perform very similarly.  It's purely a difference in placement.

The tables will have 3 sides exposed though obviously, they're shorter and will have less surface area overall due to the height.   It all depends on what else you have to work with in the room and if you have specific issues at your seating position rather than just general decay control.

Bryan

Scottdazzle

« Reply #8 on: 26 Oct 2009, 08:09 pm »
Bryan,

My room has a hill and valley response curve below 300Hz.  I also want to keep as much bass as possible out of the other rooms in the house, as my family does not share my tastes in music.  I do not want to resort to equalization.  I know the elite pillars will help in the back corners.  I don't have a good sense of what the table traps would contribute aside from their good looks.

Scott