Help Diagnose Speaker Issue

cujobob

Help Diagnose Speaker Issue
« on: 22 Oct 2016, 01:06 pm »
Hey everyone,

I haven't been on the forum as much as in years past, but I've been wanting to get my system up and running again after a few years down. After doing so, I realized the woofer in my Gedlee Abbey is not making any sound. According to my multimeter the 8 ohm woofer is showing 5.5-6 ohms at the connection (not at home, can't recall exact number) which I believe means the woofer should be working fine. I swapped speaker cables with my working right channel and the woofer still doesn't respond.

How does one figure out what is causing the issue? Is there a basic tutorial or anything out there that can help me test the crossover?

JohnR

Re: Help Diagnose Speaker Issue
« Reply #1 on: 22 Oct 2016, 01:16 pm »
I'd suggest contact the vendor's customer support line.

cujobob

« Reply #2 on: 22 Oct 2016, 01:50 pm »
I'd suggest contact the vendor's customer support line.

These were made by one guy and I may just do that anyways. Hoping to find some general tips for things to check with multimeter to see what part could be causing issue. There's very little soldering, it's mostly put together via connectors. I think I have a copy of the x-over diagram somewhere so I may reach out to someone to build a custom one, but that will be costly.

JohnR

« Reply #3 on: 22 Oct 2016, 02:03 pm »
If it was working last time you used it, it's unlikely to be serious. Reseat the connections as you disassemble/test it. If no luck, connect amp directly to woofer and run a test measurement and then work backwards from there.

cujobob

« Reply #4 on: 22 Oct 2016, 09:37 pm »
So taking the multimeter to parts while it's plugged in and when I brought the ends to the inductor, it brought some sound back (and then some more when I did it to a capacitor), but I didn't do anything? What would cause this?

Folsom

« Reply #5 on: 23 Oct 2016, 12:17 am »
That's a bit vague.. do you have an analog multimeter? Touching one of those to the woofer should make it move a little.

Your measurement doesn't sound far enough off to believe something is wrong. I'm under the impression you just have a bad solder joints or connection. You can only measure from one side or the other of a capacitor.

Davey

« Reply #6 on: 23 Oct 2016, 01:10 am »
As John said, you should be contacting Earl Geddes directly.
He's the one who designed/built the system and he's the product support person.  He could tell you exactly what to check.

Dave.

TomS

« Reply #7 on: 23 Oct 2016, 01:29 am »
Dr. Geddes uses Euro style screw in terminals for most of the crossover parts. My bet is that one of those screws just vibrated loose. Take a flat blade driver and tighten them all up, you'll probably find one somewhere on the woofer circuit. You'd have to take the back off to get to the crossover as it's part of the back panel.

JohnR

« Reply #8 on: 23 Oct 2016, 09:57 am »
So taking the multimeter to parts while it's plugged in and when I brought the ends to the inductor, it brought some sound back (and then some more when I did it to a capacitor), but I didn't do anything? What would cause this?

You really shouldn't do that... When I said "measurement" I meant an acoustic measurement sweep.