Affordable CD players with good internal DAC's

wisnon

Re: Affordable CD players with good internal DAC's
« Reply #20 on: 18 Apr 2012, 03:01 pm »
How does the Onkyo C-S5VL cdp do playing discs burned from iTunes to AAC?  I have a lot of them beside lots of redbook discs.  No SACD at the present time, but that will change if I get this player.

I read a number of reviews, and it sounds like a very nice player.  Thanks for the recommendation.

It can play burned disks made with Toast Titanium on a Mac, however I have never done an iTunes burn...

Danberg

« Reply #21 on: 18 Apr 2012, 05:44 pm »
Ok wisnon, you have peaked my interest.
[Hopefully, Lukasz still has a 3910 in stock but I will completely understand if he does not (perhaps he could make a recommendation regarding another piece of gear).  Regardless, the modified Denon 2910, played through an LZ4, was absolutely breathtaking, involving to the max, and simply "sonically right."  In the right hands (Lukasz), there appears to be hope for Redbook cd playback.  Unbelievable!  .
/quote]

Who is "lukasz?"  How does one contact him?"

RCduck7

« Reply #22 on: 18 Apr 2012, 06:28 pm »
If you want a killer transport on the cheap, try one of those mid-2000s Universal players! Denon/Sony/Pioneer etc all have famous models of this genre, but the Sonys are famous for NOT playing DVD-A. Most of these models have service manuals that can be found on the Net for free. In these manuals are the details of where the SPDIF digital audio signals exit the processing chip, before entering the onboard receiver Chips/DACs.

One of the best is the Denon DVD3910 as it plays CD, DVD, SACD, DVD-A, HDCD, etc. truly universal. The chassis is huge and hefty (easy to mod, as space and accessibility is plentiful) and the transport mechanism is rock solid. The only weak point is the relatively frail lasers that go after 4-5 years or so. This WAS a problem in the past when Denon would charge $350 for a replacement.

However, the secret is out on the Net that the generic part name is the Hitachi HOP1200 series. Any of the Hop1200 R, S, N will work as a drop-in replacement and the 1200W will work if you replace the entire laser assembly, which costs the same as just the laser head. $15 plus delivery from Liberty electronics in Fla, and there are other similar sources if you google elsewhere in the USA. Get a couple spares and you are set virtually forever!

Now for the (very cheap)mod….the basis is that being that the 3910 is a Universal player, it was engineered specifically to optimize the video playback and so has high precision laser/ spinning mechanism AND a huge FIFO buffer. All these benefits transfer to simple RBCD playback as well. However, such devices were designed to show off the SOTA DACS at the time and SOTA video playback, so guess which outputs got priority/TLC in design implementation? You got it, video out and analog out, and SPDIF out was treated as the red-hedded stepchild! So despite having all the elements for KILLER SPDIF output, the superb SPDIF signal left the chip and then followed a meandering trail on the PCB going all over the place and degrading the fragile SPDIF signal. So what to do?

The answer is obvious when you think of it. Steal the SPDIF signal from source and use soemthing like a teflon coated thin silver wire to run from the CORRECT SPDIF out chip leg and connect to a newly drilled SPDIF out RCA terminal (via a 300ohm resistor). Depending on what DAC is to be used, a cap may also be needed to match impedence. I have a Lampi DAC and propbably dont even need the resistor! The other thin wire is for grounding and runs from the negative leg of a nearby electrolytic Cap to the GND connection of the new RCA terminal. Voila, killer SPDIF on the cheap!

To take it to the next level, you can order a digi-lampizator kit for about $100 from Poland and pass the Spdif signal thru this tube output stage to amplify and “square up” the digital signal even more! Total investment will be about $350 for this utimate level, including used DVD player, assorted parts, digi-lamp kit, technician’s labour, etc. Less than $200 total for the basic mod which already is astounding (60-70% of total improvement). I assume you can pick up a used Denon for $100-150 via ebay.

Feedback below

This is the feedback from a buddy who has a fully modded Denon.

J. came over last night for another enjoyable evening of wonderful music and ear-shocking revelations (yes, he brought the 2900).  We played my system using the Sony 5400ES as a transport for about 3 hours, and then we inserted the 2900 into the system.  After and enjoyable dinner and much-needed warm-up for the Denon, I inserted a disc and pressed the "play" button.  Holy moly!  The positive difference between the modded 2900 and the 5400ES was startling.  The music seemed to be coming from everywhere!  Then J. said (with a big smile):  "If you think this is good, you should hear the 3910 with the tubed digi-lampzator SPDIF output in your system."     

Hopefully, Lukasz still has a 3910 in stock but I will completely understand if he does not (perhaps he could make a recommendation regarding another piece of gear).  Regardless, the modified Denon 2910, played through an LZ4, was absolutely breathtaking, involving to the max, and simply "sonically right."  In the right hands (Lukasz), there appears to be hope for Redbook cd playback.  Unbelievable!  .

Intresting read... To make a purchase of a modified version worthwhile, great sound should be it's selling point as upscaled DVD video has been bettered by a PS3 by now as i learned from users. I wonder if the modified SPDIF would make it the better "audio" player compared to a Pioneer BDP-LX-55 blue ray player. This one also plays dvd audio and sacd AND is about the same price new as the denon. The thing is that i use redbook CD from a transport to a DAC in digital RCA (not SPDIF) and SACD multichannel wich can be used with HDMI but not with a single digital out.

wisnon

« Reply #23 on: 18 Apr 2012, 06:30 pm »
He is the LampizatOr. The maker of that excellent sounding boutique tube DAC from Poland. Here is a recent review:
http://hifipig.com/lampizator-dac-level-4-review/#more-1707

In any case, a basically modded unit from Lukasz would be about $600+ and fully modded about $1,000+ delivered.  As this is the cheap and cheerful section, I would expect most folks here to do what I did and pick up a used unit and change laser if necessary and do the DIY locally or by yourself if you are so inclined. You don't even have to go with the full mod to get most of the benefit.

Note that this is about making a killer transport and having a decent sounding CDP at the same time! The Denon by itself is a great sounding unit using its own DAC. As a transport out to a top notch DAC, you have a real giant killer, IMHO.

Contact info at www.lampizator.eu

wisnon

« Reply #24 on: 18 Apr 2012, 06:39 pm »
Intresting read... To make a purchase of a modified version worthwhile, great sound should be it's selling point as upscaled DVD video has been bettered by a PS3 by now as i learned from users. I wonder if the modified SPDIF would make it the better "audio" player compared to a Pioneer BDP-LX-55 blue ray player. This one also plays dvd audio and sacd AND is about the same price new as the denon. The thing is that i use redbook CD from a transport to a DAC in digital RCA (not SPDIF) and SACD multichannel wich can be used with HDMI but not with a single digital out.

Its all about the sound of RBCD via this transport to a great DAC. I have the above mentioned Onkyo, a modded SB Duet and a McBook Air/Audirvana+

My cost so far for a used Denon plus basic mod is about $200. Cant beat that with a baseball bat! What does the Pioneer cost?

In any case, a similar mod would have to be done to the Pioneer to get the same quality level of Spdif out.

RCduck7

« Reply #25 on: 18 Apr 2012, 06:51 pm »
I use a Metrum Acoustics Quad DAC and might be upgrading to the well reviewed Octave DAC. It's a keeper, believe me i tried many DAC's. So, the DAC in the Denon is not of importance to me. Also, for high res audio in 24/192khz on the Metrum DAC only digital RCA and not Optical SPDIF will work. I haven't read the Lampizator pages throughout but does he also upgrade the digital RCA out? And what about HDMI out for multichannel SACD's??(wich i also like).

The pioneer is 350£ in England, they also have a cheaper alternative from last year but it doesn't play blu ray.
http://www.whathifi.com/review/pioneer-bdp-lx55

wisnon

« Reply #26 on: 18 Apr 2012, 07:15 pm »
Yes, I was only referring to RCA SPDIF (not optical). No clue about HDMI. That seems to have its own insurmountable audio quality issues.

I have a L4 Lampi Dac and given that I have a SS system, it injects the right about of tube goodness to my sound. The Lampi plays up to 24/192.

I refer to the internal Denon DAC because THAT is what this thread is about!

In addition to a very competent CDP, a used Denon can be cheaply modded (less than $50) by a competent DIYer to become a killer transport as an incredible bonus!

The Pioneer you quote is in British Pounds so that is near $600 stock!. Way more expensive than a quality used Denon (circa $100).

I think you are cruising the old Lampizator DIY site. He does not do random mods anymore. Click on his DAC site and his SHOP site. You will see what he offers there. Those are his 2 commercial sites.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #27 on: 19 Apr 2012, 02:23 am »
And just so we're all speaking the same language here, S/PDIF data is the same over RCA or Toslink optical.  In other words RCA digital is S/PDIF (Sony/Philips Digital Interconnect Format).  Additionally, compressed mutichannel audio information (Dolby Digital or DTS) can be transmitted over S/PDIF.  Sorry in advance if it's me that's not making the correct connection here, but it seemed as if we were not talking in the same terminology.

And thanks to everyone for the self policing of the price limits on C&C HiFi.  It's perfectly fine to mention higher priced components in comparison or DIY ways to achieve the high priced spread, as long as it's made clear that's what your doing.  It was quite pleasant to see several posts where you gentlemen did that.  Thanks for keeping the spirit of C&C alive. 

RCduck7

« Reply #28 on: 19 Apr 2012, 09:12 pm »
I refer to the internal Denon DAC because THAT is what this thread is about!

In addition to a very competent CDP, a used Denon can be cheaply modded (less than $50) by a competent DIYer to become a killer transport as an incredible bonus!

First, sorry about the SPDIF/Toslink mixup on my part.

I'm intrested in the Denon, especially the transport and digital out of the denon player to my DAC. I was looking to C.E.C. transports lately but they don't come very cheap, they are known for making good transports though. Rightnow i am using a Chinese MHZS CD88G cd player, only for redbook (no sacd or dvd audio compatibility). I remember that Lampizator did some mods on MHZS cd players but not on the CD88G i believe, not sure. The MHZS CD88G is a top loader with a SONY 213Q transport. I wonder if the Denon could be better then the chinese CD88G player. Expecting the Denon to be as good as an entry level C.E.C. transport...? Would this be realistic? For now i can use SACD's on my first generation PS3 but i have no idea if standalone players or the Denon would make a big difference in sound for that format.

howburger

« Reply #29 on: 20 Apr 2012, 05:19 am »
If you're familiar with the different dacs, here is a pretty thorough list of CD Players and their Dacs and Transports.  http://www.dutchaudioclassics.nl/the_complete_d_a_dac_converter_list/

Harold

wisnon

« Reply #30 on: 20 Apr 2012, 10:38 am »
First, sorry about the SPDIF/Toslink mixup on my part.

I'm intrested in the Denon, especially the transport and digital out of the denon player to my DAC. I was looking to C.E.C. transports lately but they don't come very cheap, they are known for making good transports though. Rightnow i am using a Chinese MHZS CD88G cd player, only for redbook (no sacd or dvd audio compatibility). I remember that Lampizator did some mods on MHZS cd players but not on the CD88G i believe, not sure. The MHZS CD88G is a top loader with a SONY 213Q transport. I wonder if the Denon could be better then the chinese CD88G player. Expecting the Denon to be as good as an entry level C.E.C. transport...? Would this be realistic? For now i can use SACD's on my first generation PS3 but i have no idea if standalone players or the Denon would make a big difference in sound for that format.
According to Lukasz, and I agree, the mods to the Denon 3910, puts in in the league of a $3K transport! The pals feedback that I posted earlier confirms this.

I dont know about the CD88G. However, I do have the full servivce manual for the Denon and know that the stealing point is R278 from the main chip. i even have pictures of the mods. PM me if interested.

RCduck7

« Reply #31 on: 22 Apr 2012, 10:01 pm »
According to Lukasz, and I agree, the mods to the Denon 3910, puts in in the league of a $3K transport! The pals feedback that I posted earlier confirms this.

I dont know about the CD88G. However, I do have the full servivce manual for the Denon and know that the stealing point is R278 from the main chip. i even have pictures of the mods. PM me if interested.

Since Lampizator has both experience with the Denon and MHZS players i might contact him.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #32 on: 23 Apr 2012, 02:23 pm »
The OP says... Affordable CD players with good internal DAC's.  The reason I worded it that way is that I have had several modded cdp's that sounded awesome.  Neither one of them were very expensive to begin with.  I spent more on the mods than the cost of the unit.  But, I ended up with a very clean power supplies and beautiful sounding DAC's for a great price.  No noise that I could hear, and high resolution at least to my ears.

I have gobs of cd's and enjoy using a cdp.  And, my wife wouldn't know how to use anything else.  No need for me to change.

Maybe it's my fault for mentioning DACs and transports, or at least DACs and computer based audio, but roymail may have lost all interest in his thread as it's gone so far afield from his original post.  Any idea on how the Denon works as a stand alone CDP?

wisnon

« Reply #33 on: 24 Apr 2012, 12:12 pm »
Which Denon?

The 3910?

It sounds great, but even better as a Transport to a modern high performing DAC.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #34 on: 25 Apr 2012, 02:47 pm »
 :duh:
Yes, I know they can be used with outboard DACs, the OP had asked for "Affordable CD players with good internal DAC's".  He chastised me for proposing the same thing as you did, so I'm trying to follow the wishes of the OP.

Which begs another question, how good are Blue Ray players through their analog outputs?  I've heard the Denon 3800 is very good, but not Cheap and Cheerful.  Pioneers don't output Hi Rez through their analog outputs?  Panasonic's?  Oppo, maybe a used BD83 would be C&C?

wisnon

« Reply #35 on: 26 Apr 2012, 12:20 pm »
Since Lampizator has both experience with the Denon and MHZS players i might contact him.

RCDuck,

He seems to have modded this MHZS player too:
http://lampizator.eu/shop/viewitem.php?productid=179

and here is the Denon Spiel:
http://lampizator.eu/shop/viewitem.php?productid=144

wisnon

« Reply #36 on: 26 Apr 2012, 12:29 pm »
delete

RCduck7

« Reply #37 on: 29 Apr 2012, 05:35 pm »
RCDuck,

He seems to have modded this MHZS player too:
http://lampizator.eu/shop/viewitem.php?productid=179

and here is the Denon Spiel:
http://lampizator.eu/shop/viewitem.php?productid=144

Since last weekend i heard redbook recordings converted to the 432hz frequencie instead of the standard 440hz one. Since then i kinda lost my intrest in transports actually. Here's why...  (read first post)

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=105902.0

wisnon

« Reply #38 on: 30 Apr 2012, 09:52 am »
Oh,

I have read this!

I have both disc transport and streamed/USB computer audio.

ltr317

« Reply #39 on: 30 Apr 2012, 04:19 pm »
You can get an older OppO 970 or 981 (made three or four years ago) for cheap.  The internal DAC is quite good.  I've done direct comparisons with it and some expensive external DACs and sound quality is very close.