Emotiva Power Line FIlters - CMX

soundbitten1

Re: Emotiva Power Line FIlters - CMX
« Reply #20 on: 3 May 2012, 11:39 pm »
It's starting to smooth out quite a bit after one day, don't hear any loss of dynamics. There seems to be more detail in the music. It's a keeper.  :D

Early B.

« Reply #21 on: 4 May 2012, 12:19 am »
I wonder what the build quality and sonic differences are between the Emotiva CMX2 and this Furman:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003PJ6NPO/ref=wms_ohs_product

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #22 on: 4 May 2012, 03:06 am »
I wonder what the build quality and sonic differences are between the Emotiva CMX2 and this Furman:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003PJ6NPO/ref=wms_ohs_product

The Furman most likely has MOV's which will actually protect your equipment in case of lightning strike type voltage spikes.  As far as I can see, the Emotiva has only circuit breakers, which won't trip fast enough to save your stuff, but it must be emphasized that I don't know either of these statements about one or the other having MOV's to be absolute fact, only gathering from the ad copy.  Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Also note MOV's are somewhat sacrificial in that they lose some ability to not short circuit (what they are designed to do) with every surge they trip on.  In other words they get too protective as they wear.  The circuit breaker in the Furman is solely to protect when the MOV's melt down completely and don't reset, or there's an extended short to ground, like if your breaker box melts down or something.  I have no idea which one may have better filtering, but I'm quite sure the Emotiva is made for them by one of the major OEM suppliers.  In other words you can buy the same thing under another brand if you look, may or may not be cheaper.

Rclark

« Reply #23 on: 4 May 2012, 04:32 am »
Apparently Emotiva builds very good surge protection right into the gear. They prefer you don't use power strips.

Glad to gear you have a good response Soundbitten, seems like a great unit. I will definitely give one try.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #24 on: 4 May 2012, 06:23 am »
Hey clark, I'm no expert, but from what Anand said the Emotiva unit had good filtering in it, so I would expect it to sound good.  My questions are only from the protection side, which may or may not be a concern to you or others.  No, Emotiva doesn't build good surge protection into their gear, no one does.  They don't want you to use power strips for other reasons.  As noted, I'm no expert in these matters, but learned a ton right here at AC on the Power Conditioning circle.  I know you like to add to your knowledge base, as you're always doing so, I'll bet you could get a great basic foundation on power conditioning just by reading as many of the threads there as possible.  Might I gently and politely as possible suggest it's a better place to get info than Emotiva's website?  Hope this find you well and listening with pleasure. 

Rclark

« Reply #25 on: 4 May 2012, 07:00 am »
 Emotiva has said it themselves that they build good surge protection right into their units (amps, cdp's, etc). However it might not be excellent surge protection, so you might be on something there.

And you don't have to suggest anything gently, I'd prefer rough and tumble, freeflowing conversation, but that's frowned upon here. 

soundbitten1

« Reply #26 on: 4 May 2012, 11:33 pm »

Glad to gear you have a good response Soundbitten, seems like a great unit. I will definitely give one try.

You have nothing to lose Rclark. They have a 30-day, no questions asked, hassle-free return policy.   :thumb: