Schiit, it's the (now defunct) Bifrost DAC tour

tomytoons

Re: Schiit, it's the Bifrost DAC tour sign up sheet
« Reply #100 on: 9 Apr 2012, 03:59 pm »
Ahh well, never mind.
I did have one ordered but cancelled at the beginning.

Most of this is to be understood. I was very surprised to see them selling on Amazon though and back orders were not really filled.
I have not found a DAC that beats my Raysonic 128 in NOS mode.
An Audio gd 2.0 did not do it although very good, just too laid back and never opened up.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #101 on: 9 Apr 2012, 04:02 pm »
Fair enough. I am fine with giving a new and small company the benefit of the doubt, particularly one offering up some pretty innovative stuff in their pipeline (new DAC and amp just announced and then the promised "Statement" offerings). That is for each of us to choose.

And expecting a small audio company to be able to release their new offerings when they originally estimate they will ship seems to me like a bit of a fools errand. Yeah it sucks to wait, but, having followed a number of new companies and seeing multiple delays, I just start assuming that there will be a delay and wait patiently for the product to actually get here (hopefully with all the bugs worked out; I'd rather have a bombproof product than a buggy one rushed to market to meet an announced release date).

But again, to each their own and there are certainly many great options at most any price point these days.
I sent in my Visa # last July for a usb Bifrost.  It's not that I expected the product to be on time, and actually would have been pleasantly surprised if it had been.  The long string of excuses, some by email, some face to face, a few of which were of questionable veracity, eventually results in a loss of faith in the people running the place. In at least one instance, I was told something that they knew at the time to not be true.  I'd have trouble ever believing Jason again, so it's better for me to take my business elsewhere.
« Last Edit: 9 Apr 2012, 05:54 pm by S Clark »

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #102 on: 10 Apr 2012, 02:50 am »
There is hope yet alive.  The following is in response to the email I sent:

"Yes, we can get one out this week. Let me know the shipping address, and we'll give you a tracking number when it ships.

Jason Stoddard
Co-Founder"

If it actually shows up, I'll burn it in for a couple of days as requested by participant #1 and start the tour.  The first two guys are a couple of miles from me and each other, so that should go pretty fast.  Rather than go through a barrage of emails and PM's like when we set up the list, I'll PM and email a couple slots ahead in plenty of time to see if they're still interested.   

tonyptony

« Reply #103 on: 10 Apr 2012, 11:00 pm »
I'm still up for it. Hopefully it won't show up too soon; I'll be at the NYAS this weekend. But once it does show up I'll have two DACs to compare it too. More to follow if we get this thing off the ground.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #104 on: 10 Apr 2012, 11:24 pm »
I'm still up for it. Hopefully it won't show up too soon; I'll be at the NYAS this weekend. But once it does show up I'll have two DACs to compare it too. More to follow if we get this thing off the ground.

Sweeeet.  I had forgotten about the show, maybe I'll head up there.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
Re: Schiit, it's the (now defunct) Bifrost DAC tour
« Reply #105 on: 29 Apr 2012, 03:25 pm »
Okay, I've had enough.  I'm not one to take slights and insults lightly.  Members had a lot of expectations and I worked some number of hours on it, the one who dropped the ball here is Schiit, and Jason Stoddard at Schiit.  Despite numerous emails and promises of "next week" or "next month", they have decided to ignore this forum and leave us high and dry without a Bifrost to put on tour.  However I apologize to any member still waiting for this to come to fruition, I hope no one has suffered any loss waiting to hear this product and not purchasing a better one. 

The Bifrost model itself has run it's course anyway, very lukewarm reviews in the press and on forums, lots of cancelled orders.  I'm glad I waited and didn't buy one as it turned out to be mostly hype.  I'm not sure how many members were still seriously interested in purchase.  For myself, I wouldn't consider buying a Schiit product at this juncture, but I wish them the greatest success on all of their future endeavors.  I'll keep the spreadsheet of members who signed up for the tour, hopefully I'll make it up to you with something better in the future.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #106 on: 29 Apr 2012, 04:29 pm »
Sorry to say, I'm  not surprised.  Delivery issues are to be expected  with any new product, but early on I saw that you couldn't trust this guys word.  That was it for me.

tomytoons

« Reply #107 on: 29 Apr 2012, 04:54 pm »
No big deal here either. I have read recently "whats all the fuss about?" inferring it is good for the $$ but nothing else.

Never mind and THANKS!
« Last Edit: 29 Apr 2012, 11:45 pm by tomytoons »

fredgarvin

« Reply #108 on: 29 Apr 2012, 08:24 pm »
Thanks for all your work on it, letitroll98, I wasn't on the tour but I was waiting to hear about it for sure.
 I was gonna buy the Maverick but decided to look around more. Maybe I'll check out the Kingrex ud384.

tonyptony

« Reply #109 on: 29 Apr 2012, 11:17 pm »
My thanks as well for hanging in and trying to get us a tour unit. I agree; it's too late for a tour of this DAC. Ironically, Bifrost has just announced their next venture up the line.

http://schiit.com/news/32912-schiit-announces-balanced-amp-dac/

It's too bad. It looks like they are trying to build up their game. Probably not worth looking for a tour of this newer one, though.

SlushPuppy

« Reply #110 on: 29 Apr 2012, 11:29 pm »
Well, you stuck with it longer than I would have. Thanks for trying  :thumb:

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #111 on: 30 Apr 2012, 12:09 am »
Okay, I've had enough................

The Bifrost model itself has run it's course anyway, very lukewarm reviews..................

Well, we didn't lose anything but the anxiety :thumb:.  May be all this time the company wasn't doing well in terms of selling the Schiit, so they put on a good show of "....we can't keep up with demand, so sorry Charlie.....".

michaelhigh

« Reply #112 on: 30 Apr 2012, 01:28 am »
Shame, shame, shame on schiit. I bought one, like it lots, and was satisfied with email responses and prompt, as-promised delivery. It really is a great product, fit and finish was well above my expectations for a newish company, but when you try to set up a tour to promote a product and get backburnered, it can leave a schiity taste in your mouth (had to get that in there!)... Good luck on getting another manufacturer to participate. :green:

Chris Adams

« Reply #113 on: 30 Apr 2012, 01:46 am »
Thanks, letitroll98, for all your time and effort! :thumb: At some point you gotta Schiit or get of the pot.

dflee

« Reply #114 on: 30 Apr 2012, 02:26 am »
If nothing else, your tenacity and fortitude deserve a round of applause. Frankly I found it rather entertaining reading concerning the possible tour. While I was on the list and would liked to have tried the unit out, can't say I'm real disappointed here at the end and glad I did not invest in the product.

kgturner

« Reply #115 on: 30 Apr 2012, 02:56 am »
I signed up for the tour, but after reading the lukewarm reviews, I really couldn't give a Schiit. :D

Kevin T

cedman1

« Reply #116 on: 30 Apr 2012, 03:55 am »
Sorry to hear that this did not work out.  I have one of there headphone amps and the experience was the total opposite of what you have experienced.  Good job on sticking through all the broken promises, etc. 

I have heard the DAC and liked it.