Tubelab SimpleSE

wushuliu

Re: Tubelab SimpleSE
« Reply #40 on: 4 May 2011, 06:13 pm »
Update, the AmpOhms have settled in and now have more meat on the bones still with that great clarity.  Not as liquid or romantic as the Jensens in the same amp.

Wush, I was looking in the classifieds for SET amp part and I saw your thread with the output transformers.  What transformers did you end up with for the Simple SE?  Did you try the units you sold?

Thanks,
Ed

Hi Ed, I went with the Edcor GSX-5k-6 ohm. I did not try the Hammonds, only the smaller Edcors which sounded terrific (my first impressions in this thread were with those). I'm not experienced enough with output trans to know how they compare with costlier ones though.

wushuliu

« Reply #41 on: 16 May 2011, 07:56 am »
So finally swapped out the Antek transformer for the higher voltage Allied, allowing me to install a tube rectifier and therefore no longer needing the SS diodes. What can I say, the tube rectifier is the way to go after all. I was worried it was going to get all mushy and 'tubey' as some people like to say - no such thing. No contest, though some may like the zippier sound of the SS.

On the other hand I am certain at this point that the CL-90 current limiter degrades sound quality and I refuse to use it unless something goes really wrong. It's not mandatory and my caps are pretty tough.

Pez

« Reply #42 on: 17 May 2011, 06:14 am »
Nice, I couldnt agree more about rectification. I really love the SSE with all the audiophiles clichés. 0 feedback, triode, tubed rectification, paper and oil caps, and BIG iron.  Glad the Allied worked out for you, it is an excellent transformer for the cost.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #43 on: 17 May 2011, 02:44 pm »
So, what were the total costs of youz guyz's amps, not including chassis or tubes (one can go WILD with those options!)?

Pez

« Reply #44 on: 17 May 2011, 04:12 pm »
Total cost for me was sort of high because of the options I chose. It's hard to say without tubes and chassis, but I would estimate in the $1000 range per amp. I am going to do a little secret project soon that will kick that amount up another couple hundred, but it'll be worth it!!!  :thumb:

Also tubes on mine are the Treasures and the chassis' were custom designed by myself and a friend of mine who is a helluva craftsman.

wushuliu

« Reply #45 on: 17 May 2011, 05:57 pm »
So, what were the total costs of youz guyz's amps, not including chassis or tubes (one can go WILD with those options!)?

$50 board
$80 Allied Power Transformer
$75 Output transformers
$100 Pricey coupling caps
$20 Oil Cap for PS
$50 for the rest including caps, resistors, sockets, connectors etc.

So $375 including shipping. But in reality i did some swapping over time like going from Antek to allied power transformer, etc. so the cost was higher. I already had an enclosure. If you pass on pricey caps then ~$275.