« on: 17 Dec 2016, 02:09 pm »
delete
« Last Edit: 31 Dec 2016, 06:16 pm by boniccie »

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
Re: WTB VPI traveler version 2
« Reply #1 on: 18 Dec 2016, 07:19 am »
You actually want an original traveler - v2 was a known POS - ask owners and dealers - "reviewers" don't know anything.

boniccie

« Reply #3 on: 18 Dec 2016, 04:34 pm »
thank you for the reply but i am looking for V2.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #4 on: 18 Dec 2016, 05:58 pm »
Ok - you've been warned. Hope you like weak / noisy motors and bad paint jobs.

boniccie

« Reply #5 on: 18 Dec 2016, 07:48 pm »
Ok now i am confused. I thought v2 is the one toget. Below is
What i read on Agon
Below is VPI's response from my email asking them a few questions about some changes made to the version 2 Traveler.
1- The arm was changed to incorporate longer pins on the bearings so when the arm froze in UPS it would not come apart. They do not come apart in your home, even the old ones. Actually as we found out most arm bearings were broken because customers tried to rotate the counterweight instead of the adjustment thumbscrew in the rear!!!
2- The mat was changed because the new one sounds better. It is removable.
3- The logo was moved because of all the complaints of it in the front - we can't please anyone with this one.
4- The price increase is due to the inclusion of a 60 HZ generating power supply for much better sound and speed control. The Traveler now has a small SDS power supply built in.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #6 on: 18 Dec 2016, 08:48 pm »
There is essentially at least 3 generations of traveler : the very earliest ones which have an iec connector on the back and at least with the non black ones (red / white / blue) a much nicer glossy smooth paint job. This was quickly replaced by a next gen which had a "wall wart" and problematic motor and pebbled paint job which I don't think was as nice. Then lastly there was a corrected model which had an improved motor - which you address in #4.

The ones to get therefore are the very first ones or the very last ones. I have an early first gen , and yes - mine had bearing pins which were too short which I was able to correct by adjusting the bearing cup / screw inward to better hold the pin in place. No issue since then. And I addressed potential emi noise from the motor to a large degree by using a wireworld stratus power cord, which has power conditioning properties. It's possible I had noisy AC as well.

So - I still vote for the very first gen traveler because of the nicer paint job (which you can't diy correct). I actually like the VPI plaque more than the silkscreening on the plinth.

I suppose the very last ones would be the safest bet.

boniccie

« Reply #7 on: 18 Dec 2016, 09:00 pm »
Thank you very much for the clarification & Happy Holidays.

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #8 on: 18 Dec 2016, 10:11 pm »
Try the vpi forums for some further, if possibly biased, info.  Very friendly bunch there.