SOLD - Pete Riggle 9" Universal Woody 'String Theory' Tonearm

mike_p

• You Never Blow Your Trip Forever
Original owner. About 1.5 years old. Spanish cedar armwand. All parts, accessories and manual included. $1,235 + shipping & PP fee. (Cartridge shown not included.)

« Last Edit: 27 Feb 2018, 03:25 pm by mike_p »

danvprod

Re: FS: Pete Riggle 9" Universal Woody 'String Theory' Tonearm
« Reply #1 on: 19 Feb 2018, 12:57 am »
awesome! GLWYS.

Bob Stark

« Reply #2 on: 19 Feb 2018, 01:20 am »
Hey Mike,

How would you describe the sound of this arm?  What cartridge and TT were you using?  Which arm/s had you used prior to this?  I've had Maplenoll Ariadne air bearing arm/TT, VPI Scout and Classic with many add-ons to each, Avid Diva II w/ Origin Live Silver II, and now have a heavily modded Lenco with Trans-Fi Terminator air bearing straight line tracking arm in the last 10 years.  Many cartridge over this time with Music Maker III, Clearaudio Aurum Beta S, Clearaudio Virtuoso Wood, Soundsmith Shelter 501 mk II, and currently, a Benz Micro Ruby 3.

Also, what speakers and amp were you using?  Does this arm require the use of a Pete Riggle VTAF?  Why are you selling?  Are you upgrading, or what?

mike_p

« Reply #3 on: 19 Feb 2018, 01:42 am »
I used this arm on a Thorens TD-124 with a Zu DL-103 Mk2 Standard into an Auditorium A23 SUT for Denon, and from there into a Bottlehead Reduction, intentionally w/o the CCS  to keep the gain low at about 36 dB. The electronics were McIntosh MX110Z and MC30’s. I also used it with the phono stage of the MX110Z. The speakers are Belle Klipsch horns.

The Woody reproduces the timbre of piano, strings, brass and percussion so darned we’ll it made me smile every time. I loved my Audiomods Classic. The Woody is in a different league altogether. Hope that helps.

mike_p

« Reply #4 on: 19 Feb 2018, 02:49 am »
Oh yeah, I had an OL Silver (the original) and the Audiomods was more resolving that that. The only other tone arms I've had were a Jelco 750 and a rebuilt SME 3009 unimproved.

Bob Stark

« Reply #5 on: 19 Feb 2018, 08:51 am »
How long is the effective length of the arm?  The distance from the pillar to the stylus. 

Bob Stark

« Reply #6 on: 20 Feb 2018, 05:04 am »
Hey Mike,

I'm very interested in the Woody arm.  Am I correct in that the Pete Riggle VTAF either comes with the arm or is already part of it?  I still need the distance the arm pillar needs to be away from the spindle.  Or I need the arm pillar to stylus distance.  I'm building my Lenco plinth and I need to know exactly where to put the arm board and hole for the pillar.

Thanks for your answers, Mike.
Bob

mike_p

« Reply #7 on: 20 Feb 2018, 12:39 pm »
Hey Mike,

I'm very interested in the Woody arm.  Am I correct in that the Pete Riggle VTAF either comes with the arm or is already part of it?  I still need the distance the arm pillar needs to be away from the spindle.  Or I need the arm pillar to stylus distance.  I'm building my Lenco plinth and I need to know exactly where to put the arm board and hole for the pillar.

Thanks for your answers, Mike.
Bob

Bob,

All of the parts of the VTAF mounting assembly come with the tonearm.

The tonearm has an effective length of 240 mm, and the corresponding spindle to pivot distance is 222.8 mm. The mounting hole for the VTAF mounting bushing is 32 mm.

The usual VTAF Guide Assembly attaches with a wood screw at a point 2-3/8 inches forward of the center of the tonearm mounting hole, or 1-3/4 inches from the front edge of the mounting hole. (Judging by eye, that wood screw looks to be a #8 or maybe a #10 - you will drill a very small pilot hole for the wood screw.)

Best regards,

Michael

Bob Stark

« Reply #8 on: 20 Feb 2018, 01:30 pm »
Thanks so much for the accurate measurements.  I talked to Pete last night for quite a while and got many questions answered.  He says he has not been able to hear any difference in sound between his 9" arm and the 12.5" arm.  He says the longer arm has a more aesthetic appearance as is it slimmer looking to the eye.  With your 9" arm and my previous Lenco plinth, the arm will just be a drop in replacement and will fit my mounting hole perfectly.  The VTAF comes with the tonearm.  Mine was set up for a 223 mm overhang and used to have the VTAF mounted there.  With some careful setup, I could be hearing this within an hour of receiving it.   I have mostly gotten over the sleek look of the Reed wood tonearms and their extremely well machined look.  Actually, I really appreciate where Pete is coming from and the pride he takes in making his arms.  I know that feeling at least a little as I made all the plinth on the Lenco TT and had to either modify or replace several parts and remove many others to get the TT running perfectly.  My TT looks very nice, but not perfect, as it is a diy project.  Your arm will look great with my TT.  I'M SOLD!!!   

Thanks,
Bob

mike_p

« Reply #9 on: 20 Feb 2018, 02:52 pm »
Great, Bob. I'll mark the lead post in this thread "Sale Pending". Thanks!

mike_p

Re: SOLD - Pete Riggle 9" Universal Woody 'String Theory' Tonearm
« Reply #10 on: 28 Feb 2018, 03:46 pm »
Hi Bob,

Yes, I PM'ed you yesterday afternoon acknowledging receipt. I have the tonearm packed-up and ready to go. I'll follow up with your tracking number later today.

Best regards,

Michael