The Post

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
The Post
« on: 28 Jan 2018, 12:28 am »
The wife and I just returned from the new Tom Hanks/Meryl Streep movie, The Post, and it's well worth seeing.
Even though it deals with events from the past it certainly touches upon what's current.
Two thumbs up.

Sandrock

• *My Sound Space*
Re: The Post
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jan 2018, 03:59 am »
Thanks for the movie review of the The Post!
It is one I am especially interested in seeing.
I lived through that era and remember very well
It would seem that the republicans have not strayed to far from that reality even after all this time, shame on them.
Oh and again, thanks for the movie recommendation.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #2 on: 28 Jan 2018, 12:23 pm »
Let us know what you think.  I kept wanting Merly Streep to burst our in a Julia Childs voice, ha, ha.

It's kind of hard to discuss without violating any rules here.
Aside from the obvious parallels it made me think about how the internet has changed things so much (and not necessarily for the better).

BigChubby

« Reply #3 on: 29 Jan 2018, 01:06 pm »
I've seen the ads for the movie and it looks like an interesting one.  I too grew up during that era and remember it well.  Recently, HBO (I think) had a documentary on Ben Bradlee with some focus on the movie's subject and a good dose of Watergate.  Since I don't care for going to any of the theaters around here, I'll probably have to wait a few months before I see it.  I'm a gluton for movies based on historical events.

geowak

« Reply #4 on: 29 Jan 2018, 06:22 pm »
I have seen this movie with a friend. I am a vet, my dad is a Vietnam vet. If you are a Vietnam vet, the movie might make you angry. As with all wars, many lies are told to make a horrific thing.... acceptable.

Charles Calkins

« Reply #5 on: 29 Jan 2018, 10:34 pm »
Let us know what you think.  I kept wanting Merly Streep to burst our in a Julia Childs voice, ha, ha.

It's kind of hard to discuss without violating any rules here.
Aside from the obvious parallels it made me think about how the internet has changed things so much (and not necessarily for the better).
   I agree 100% that the internet has changed things. Buying tickets to a concert. Booking a flight. Making hotel reservations. Garmin to get you there.
   The bad things about the internet are Facebook Twitter. Instagram and all that other B.S. social media programs.

charmerci

« Reply #6 on: 30 Jan 2018, 01:35 pm »
   I agree 100% that the internet has changed things. Buying tickets to a concert. Booking a flight. Making hotel reservations. Garmin to get you there.
   The bad things about the internet are Facebook Twitter. Instagram and all that other B.S. social media programs.

I don't do twitter and others but FB is great. (Like most things it depends on how much work you put into it.) Not only do I have philosophical and  discussions on morality there, I keep in direct touch with friends (yes, friends, people I know face to face) all across the States, Canada, England, France, Hungary, Ireland and Australia sometimes chatting in real time. I love it. I've even met a couple friends that way.