Icepower 1200AS amp. Class D like you've never heard before

bavmike

• Facilitator
Hi guys,

It's Mike from Mivera Audio. I just got my hands on the brand new Icepower 1200as 1200wpc stereo amp. It's the best I've heard yet in class D and I've built them all as many already know. It's the first Icepower amp yet that uses the new SOTA Iceedge engine:

https://icepower.dk/download/1621/

This is not your grampa's Icepower. Leaps and bounds above anything else they ever built.

My business has transitioned to OEM work only recently. However I'm so impressed with this amp it inspired me to think out of the box on how I can get these amps into peoples hands without much time and effort on my part. So I thought why not a group buy kit? I could offer complete turn key easy to assemble kits with all parts required. All holes pre-drilled. Since this amp has all parts on a single board, it's very easy to work with. Much easier than assembling an NC-400 kit.

For cases I could use the very nice Takachi cases from Japan. Here's an example of how they look:

Pricing for the amps will be $900 each in silver, and $940 each in black. But in order to pull this off at this pricing, I'll need to secure lots of 20 units at a time. And once 20 people commit to buy, it will be about a month turnaround.

Let me know what you guys think.

Update! Now only available as a turnkey built amp

https://www.miveraaudio.com/shop

Here’s the 1200as beside the Hypex NC502MP.

And a few pics showing the nice build quality with Japanese Nippon chemi-con and German Wima caps.

« Last Edit: 8 Dec 2017, 11:11 am by bavmike »

mresseguie

Before I jump in, how many watts/ch into 8 ohms will this be?

I should probably have my head examined, but I'll commit to buying one so long as I'm getting a decent amount of power. 

Michael

bavmike

• Facilitator
Here's the main specs in the last row. Man if this amp isn't powerful enough for you, you have some very inefficient speakers! And note that the minimum impedance is referring to minimum nominal impedance.

bavmike

• Facilitator
And if I get 20 orders I'll become a level 2 supporter of Audiocircle. And in the future I may even offer more great SOTA kits. We will see how this goes for now.

ohenry

Oooh, lots of power.  How does it behave with higher impedance loads (15-16 ohms)?

bavmike

• Facilitator
I'm not sure. Probably fine. Similar to the older Icepower's I'm sure.

SFDude

I'll commit to buying a kit. Does it require any soldering or is it pretty much bolt on and screw in and assemble carefully?

I am curious what you used these amps on (speakers) and any comparisons to other Icepower or Class D amps.

Thanks!

-dave

timind

To be clear, what exactly will a buyer get in the kit?

I'd need to know this before committing.

santacore

Do you recommend running these at mono blocks or stereo amps? That's a lot of power, so the idea of mono blocks seems insane for most speakers.

The power supply is integrated on the board, right?

bavmike

• Facilitator
I'll commit to buying a kit. Does it require any soldering or is it pretty much bolt on and screw in and assemble carefully?

I am curious what you used these amps on (speakers) and any comparisons to other Icepower or Class D amps.

Thanks!

-dave

Sounds good. No soldering at all. It will be just screws and connectors. I've only tried them on a custom speaker I built myself. I've heard many Icepower's in my day. I have an 700AS here and this 1200as is in another universe. I've built many Hypex amps in the past. I designed the Nord one up NC-500 input buffer, and made 7 improved versions after that based on the NC-500. I've had NC-400's for 4 years, and even my first gen NC-500 amp beat them. I haven't compared them directly yet, to my latest version based on the NC-500's, but the sound I'm hearing from this amp is the best I've heard from these speakers. I have compared them direct to the NC502MP and there's no comparison. The 1200AS is hands down superior, and much more powerful.

Doublej

Oooh, lots of power.  How does it behave with higher impedance loads (15-16 ohms)?

Lots of distortion too, though I am on the fence as to whether or not it matters.

Any chance that big blue button can be moved to the left about 1/3 of the way from the edge of the case?

bavmike

• Facilitator
To be clear, what exactly will a buyer get in the kit?

I'd need to know this before committing.

Well this is a brand new idea I thought up an hour ago. So I still need to choose all of the parts and make a list. But you will get every part required to build a complete amp. I can probably offer upgrade for certain parts like connectors etc as well for just the difference of the parts cost. For example if you want anything from Furutech, maybe Dave C can supply those parts as he's a Furutech dealer. He could probably supply exotic internal wiring as well.

bavmike

• Facilitator
Do you recommend running these at mono blocks or stereo amps? That's a lot of power, so the idea of mono blocks seems insane for most speakers.

The power supply is integrated on the board, right?

Well there's so much power that I really don't think most will need mono blocks. The sound is identical according to Icepower. There's the AS/1 and AS/2. The only difference between them is they enable a second channel in the AS/2. So if you ran an AS/2 with only 1 of the outputs, it's the exact same thing as the AS/1. Yes everything is all on 1 board.

bavmike

• Facilitator
Lots of distortion too, though I am on the fence as to whether or not it matters.

Any chance that big blue button can be moved to the left about 1/3 of the way from the edge of the case?

That case was just an example of the case type. All of the cases will need to be identical. So if I get 20 commitments, I can share CAD drawings of different case layouts and people can vote on their favourite I suppose.

Don_S

Balanced input?

bavmike

• Facilitator
Balanced input?

Yes it has balanced inputs. But could be run single ended as well.

santacore

If these do balanced and the pricing stays relatively the same, I'm in for 1.

bavmike

• Facilitator
If these do balanced and the pricing stays relatively the same, I'm in for 1.

Price won't change unless you upgrade parts. I'll sit down and figure out the parts list for the $700 level and different options. I'll talk to Dave C @ Zenwave about Furutech options. But I'll use decent parts even for $700.

Jon L

What's the Input Impedance, for preamplification requirements?

bavmike

• Facilitator
47K. Very easy to drive.