Sunday listening sessions

daves

Sunday listening sessions
« on: 13 Sep 2014, 10:12 pm »
I have a fair amount(actually a LOT) of amps from an estate to sort through, so we will be having listening sessions every Sunday at 1 pm to 3:30 or so. for the next month or so. Lots of tubes, some delectable McCormick solid state amps, and some surprises. Please RSVP if you want to have a listen.

Thanks,  Dave

Blackmore

Re: Sunday listening sessions
« Reply #1 on: 17 Sep 2014, 05:13 pm »
Is the Yamamoto a 45 amp and if it is, what would the price be?  Pm me with the info. 

Mark

daves

« Reply #2 on: 17 Sep 2014, 07:13 pm »
Yes it is, mark. I'll ring you.

daves

« Reply #3 on: 22 Sep 2014, 03:21 am »
It was nice to see Dave, Mike, Gabe, Kent, Bob, and Liam in fine fettle today. The Yamamoto played a starring role, sounding ever so sweet and smooth on the RF7s.
« Last Edit: 22 Sep 2014, 10:55 pm by daves »

Blackmore

« Reply #4 on: 22 Sep 2014, 11:20 am »
Hey don't wear that thing out :thumb:

daves

« Reply #5 on: 22 Sep 2014, 01:38 pm »
We only played in for two minutes, mark. Gotta keep the run time down, eh?

Blackmore

« Reply #6 on: 22 Sep 2014, 02:52 pm »
Two minutes, huh?  :lol:   At least we know it works and sounds good.  See you Sunday and I want to hear the Atma-Sphere OTL. 

daves

« Reply #7 on: 23 Sep 2014, 01:20 pm »
After a fair amount of research, we figured out we have five pieces of well built tube goodness from Don Allen of Houston TX. Two 1626 Darling monoblocs with 6by5 rectifiers, an 807 single ended stereo integrated, a four input line stage preamp, and a phono stage preamp. All have a very solid build quality, a high level attention to detail, and more money spent on on components that work well together.

daves

« Reply #8 on: 27 Sep 2014, 06:10 pm »
Mark, Scott, Ken, and a couple other folks will be stopping over for the two minutes of listening tomorrow.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #9 on: 27 Sep 2014, 09:00 pm »
I wanna visit!  I wanna visit!  Somebody offer to be my tour guide??  I'm buyin.  Ready to see some Fall color I am- besides listening to some music- cause we ain't got squat in Houston.  I came to this berg a long time ago for work.  Never have cared for the weather.  Last I was there I remember some pretty good Italian at a place "on the Hill" and drinks at a bar in the Warehouse District(?).
« Last Edit: 27 Sep 2014, 10:02 pm by jimdgoulding »

daves

« Reply #10 on: 27 Sep 2014, 11:30 pm »
We have it all, Jim. Great ethnic foods, lots of beer and liquor, and the best two minute listening sessions you could ever imagine. What more could you ask for?

jimdgoulding

« Reply #11 on: 28 Sep 2014, 02:51 am »
Somebody to show me around would be appreciated.  Say, in October sometime.  What is meant be two-minute listening sessions?  I bath regularly, D.

Blackmore

« Reply #12 on: 28 Sep 2014, 03:05 am »
Its Daves way of saying he wasn't wearing out the 45 tubes in the Yamamoto amp I'm buying from him.  It's an in joke and you can listen as long and you like. Let us know when you're coming to town and I bet we can cook up some fun for you.

daves

« Reply #13 on: 28 Sep 2014, 03:15 am »
Yea Jim, we are always looking for a reason to hit the record stores, restaurants, and listen to some great systems. The more the merrier :lol:

Mark, if you can, bring your trumpet. Liam wants to try to show you up...he has been practicing "Smoke on the Water." I told him maybe he should consider expanding his repertoire to include "The Lonely Bull" as well. :D

jimdgoulding

« Reply #14 on: 28 Sep 2014, 05:27 am »
I'll be counting on your hospitality in October.  Think I may take the train.  Can I bring an album or something?  Do you guys have monthly meetings?  You let in riff-raff?

KenSeger

• Heavy and noisy, but beautiful
    • Ken's Plain Jane Website
« Reply #15 on: 28 Sep 2014, 02:40 pm »
Not only do we let in riff-raff, we also let in raff-riff!

And the two minutes rule is - two minutes/person/per channel/per song -   so it's really quite generous.
And no, Dave's K-horns do not at this time have a center channel, so it is two channels, not three.
And the two minute rule per channel applies only to speakers that are hooked up. 
If it applied to the speakers in the room and adjacent rooms, Wagner's entire Ring de Nibelungen could count as one song and still fit under the two minute mark.   :o

Blackmore

« Reply #16 on: 28 Sep 2014, 09:25 pm »
I enjoyed my two minutes and the fact that Yammie 2 didn't pop, squeal, snap, crunch or smoke while we used it.  :D. Thanks for the afternoon listening sessions and double thanks for my new addition.

daves

« Reply #17 on: 28 Sep 2014, 11:54 pm »
We hope you enjoy it for years to come, Mark! Thanks for the advice with Liam's trumpet - Colleen already has ordered the Blessing 7C mouthpiece and the Yamaha cleaning kit. Liam had lots of fun preparing for the show, and demonstrating his budding mastery of the trumpet.

The Yamamoto is one pretty amp. I hope it sounds even better on your Lowthers, as it really burnished things well with the Klipsch.

We had a solid turnout today, with Steve, Mark, Mike, Adrian, Ken, Ted, Liam, and me enjoying the tunes and gear. Everyone commented how warm they would feel in the winter with the Atma-Sphere running.  :lol:

BTW, don't forget to check out the new pastry shop at Delmar and Skinker. You will die and go to heaven when you set foot in here. ALL the chocolate items are calorie free, too!

daves

« Reply #18 on: 29 Sep 2014, 12:07 am »
It is so good You don't even need an invite to visit St. Louis if you see their website, so here it is...

http://www.piccionepastry.com/
« Last Edit: 29 Sep 2014, 04:11 pm by daves »

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #19 on: 1 Oct 2014, 12:56 am »
Looks like fun Dave, lots of cool toys.  :thumb: