Final room treatment question.

Folkman

Final room treatment question.
« on: 22 Jan 2017, 12:53 pm »
Hi , ive recently built a dedicated listening room 20ft x 14ft x 9ft.  Have been treating the room with help of Lukas at GIK.

All 4 corners have stacked Tri Traps , 2 x 242 each side wall at first reflection points , 1 x Monster bass trap with range limiters on each side wall next to the speakers [Rega RS10 with side firing bass units].  2 x Monster bass trap with range limiters in window behind speakers.

Now the question .. there is a similar sized window behind the seating and as a trial ive some stacked 2ft x 2ft 242 panels [from a previous room , they don't really match so will be replaced].  So do I just replace them with matching 242 panels or would I be better with more range limited Monster bass panels.  The 242s work well , but think more bass trapping would be good. But I don't want to kill the top end any more. It all boils down to which will retain more top end , the range limited Monsters or the 242s.

Incidentally I have tried a 6A Alpha panel in the rear window , and could hear the difference but I prefer the results with absorption.

Many thanks for a really helpful forum.
Michael.
« Last Edit: 23 Jan 2017, 10:45 am by Folkman »

JWL.GIK

• Facilitator
    • GIK Acoustics
Re: Final room treatment question.
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jan 2017, 07:19 pm »
Your best bet will be to consult with Lukas, since he is familiar with your overall room strategy.

I will say, in general, thick absorption is good on the rear wall if you want to help with bass, which in a small rectangular room you do. The thicker the better, so I'd go with the Monster or perhaps an Alpha 6A. Diffusion is also useful back there for higher frequencies if you prefer the way that sounds.