ModWright Integrated

jwes

Re: ModWright Integrated
« Reply #60 on: 1 Aug 2011, 03:33 pm »
Dan,

What pair of separates in your stable would most closely compare with the integrated's sound?

Jim

funkmonkey

« Reply #61 on: 2 Aug 2011, 04:16 am »
 :thumb:  Looks great Dan!   :thumb:  Will it be available in black, too?

rajesh

• Live & Let Live
Re: KWI Prelim. photo as promised!
« Reply #62 on: 2 Aug 2011, 06:11 am »
Here is a photo of what the design will look like.  There may be minor cosmetic changes, based on feedback from distributors and dealers that I meet while in Asia, but here is a pre-view of what we have in prototype form!

PLEASE NOTE:  Production is not planned for late Oct., as we have to order metalwork after overall design details are finalized, but I DO have a working prototype that is beautiful, powerful and we are very excited!

Thanks,

Dan W.
Sure it has oodles of WAF (wife acceptance factor) What about AF (Affordability Factor) :roll: :roll:

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #63 on: 3 Aug 2011, 03:00 am »
Very sharp looking unit with well selected features. Congrats on what is sure to be another great product in the MWI lineup.

skunark

« Reply #64 on: 3 Aug 2011, 04:57 am »
Very nice looking design. Since there are no options for a DAC and headphone plug will there be external options?   

Phil A

« Reply #65 on: 3 Aug 2011, 10:37 am »
Dan's price goals and available extras were listed in post 44 and following - http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=85814.40

modwright

« Reply #66 on: 21 Aug 2011, 08:21 pm »
OK guys, final price set for KWI 200 = $4995.

Full production shipping in late Oct.  We will have at LEAST one unit at RMAF.

It has turned out to be EXCEPTIONAL and is the ideal integrated solution to provide both simplicity, power and beautiful sound.

Thanks for those who have kept up with this and have been awaiting this announcement.

Sincerely,

Dan

johzel

« Reply #67 on: 25 Aug 2011, 12:52 pm »

It has turned out to be EXCEPTIONAL and is the ideal integrated solution to provide both simplicity, power and beautiful sound.

Thanks for those who have kept up with this and have been awaiting this announcement.

Sincerely,

Dan

Dan, options to include a DAC and Phono Stage?  Is that correct? 

jwes

« Reply #68 on: 25 Aug 2011, 10:50 pm »

Sincerely,

Dan

Thanks Dan,

What do you think it sounds like relative to your various separates?  At one point I think you were shooting for a sound like the latest pre plus a 150SE, but then scaled back due to the end customer price that would create.  Where do you think you ended up?

Thanks!

Jim

modwright

« Reply #69 on: 28 Aug 2011, 07:12 pm »
Hi guys, options to include DAC and phono as upgrade options, yes.  DAC will be USB 24/192 and RCA input.

Sonically, I belive the integrated will be just behind the LS 100 and KWA 100SE, but with more power.  It has no tubes of course.  It is a great sounding product and offers one of the best values in Integrateds available on the market.

The LS 100 w/KWA 100SE combo, for more money, WILL sound a little better.

My initial goal would have cost over $10K and I didnt' feel that this was the best time to offer such a product.

I am working to wring EVERY bit of sonic goodness out of this design.

I am confident that everyone will be VERY pleased.

Thanks,

Dan

Russ

Re: USB Input
« Reply #70 on: 13 Sep 2011, 02:10 pm »
Hi Dan,

Will the USB input be asynchronous?  Also, as new technologies emerge (such as DXD and DSD,) will the DAC be easily replaceable?

Thanks,

Russ...

modwright

« Reply #71 on: 13 Sep 2011, 03:09 pm »
DAC will be Asynch. USB.  The digital module is designed such that different DAC chips can be used and upgraded.  The design will accept up to 24/192 data.  The DACs used will be capable of accepting DSD data.  As new tech develops, we will offer an upgrade path for our DAC module.

Obviously the DAC design is still in final stages of design.  It uses a proprietary precision oscillator circuit, rather than a simple crystal oscillator or simple clock design to offer EXCEPTIONALLY low jitter levels.  We have invested in high-level programming and proprietary jitter reduction circuitry and will use the DAC chip that we feel sounds best.

Thanks,

Dan

Russ

« Reply #72 on: 13 Sep 2011, 06:40 pm »
DAC will be Asynch. USB.  The digital module is designed such that different DAC chips can be used and upgraded.  The design will accept up to 24/192 data.  The DACs used will be capable of accepting DSD data.  As new tech develops, we will offer an upgrade path for our DAC module.

Obviously the DAC design is still in final stages of design.  It uses a proprietary precision oscillator circuit, rather than a simple crystal oscillator or simple clock design to offer EXCEPTIONALLY low jitter levels.  We have invested in high-level programming and proprietary jitter reduction circuitry and will use the DAC chip that we feel sounds best.

Thanks,

Dan
Thanks for the response.  That's what I wanted to hear! Another question:  Will there be an IR input on the back panel?

Thanks,

Russ...

modwright

« Reply #73 on: 14 Sep 2011, 03:48 am »
Hi Russ, not sure what you mean by IR input?  The Integrated has remote trigger outs.  Are you asking if the standalone DAC will have trigger inputs?

Please explain.

Thanks,

Dan

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #74 on: 14 Sep 2011, 04:14 am »
Dan, I'm pretty sure he means a 2.5MM mono miniplug input for remote IR repeater  (just in case one were to put the amp in an equipment cabinet and not have line-of-sight IR remote control use).

Russ

« Reply #75 on: 14 Sep 2011, 01:31 pm »
Dan, I'm pretty sure he means a 2.5MM mono miniplug input for remote IR repeater  (just in case one were to put the amp in an equipment cabinet and not have line-of-sight IR remote control use).
That's exactly it.  My system is in the middle of my studio apartment, but IR remotes are hit and miss depending on where I am.  IR repeaters are less reliable than a Xantech-type miniplug connection on the rear panel.  Also, IR repeaters are simply not attractive hanging from the front panel of a beautiful piece of equipment like a ModWright.

Phil A

« Reply #76 on: 14 Sep 2011, 04:06 pm »
They also have those pyramid repeaters with a sending and receiving unit that are not overly expensive (about $40).  My bedroom system backs to the main system and while I don't use it often I have a unit in line of site (on the other side of the room) of the equipment and I can be in the other room and control it.

Phil A

« Reply #77 on: 14 Sep 2011, 04:14 pm »
You can actually see the repeater (behind the little LCD TV I use to read DVD-A menus among other things) which has line of site to the equipment on the other side of the room in the picture below.  I have the other unit that connects to it on the wall behind the speakers so I can play back a source in the main system in the bedroom system.

modwright

« Reply #78 on: 15 Sep 2011, 04:49 pm »
Thanks, I understand now.  I have already ordered the chassis and metalwork, but this could be accomplished by a simple hole that we machin in the rear of the chassis.

The only other concern is where and how to route the 'noisy' control signals and where to mount it.  I will consider this as we have greater flexibility in revising PCB's than chassis and obviously the chassis revision would not be difficult.

This is a very good suggestion and I will consider it for developement of all future products.  I will also assess feasibility of doing so for the KWI 200.

Thanks,

Dan W.

Afterimage

« Reply #79 on: 4 Mar 2012, 09:21 am »
So far I have not seen any user feedback on this unit.  Anyone hear one yet that can provide their impressions?