Favorite brews?

geowak

Re: Favorite brews?
« Reply #100 on: 19 Jul 2013, 01:59 am »
Just drank one of these IPAs last week before a triple a baseball game. It's called hop ottin. Really, really smooth. I could drink them all night.

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #101 on: 29 Jul 2013, 10:06 pm »

Brooklyn Sorachi Ace.  Excellent!

--Jerome

Freo-1

« Reply #102 on: 29 Jul 2013, 10:14 pm »

Some great tasting brew...

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #103 on: 3 Aug 2013, 04:49 pm »
Here's a few quotes about beer, and why we love it:  :thumb:

Sometimes when I reflect on all the beer I drink, I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. I think, "It is better to drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-- Babe Ruth

An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.
-- Ernest Hemingway

When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading.
-- Paul Hornung

24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not.
-- H.L. Mencken

When we drink, we get drunk. When we get drunk, we fall asleep. When we fall asleep, we commit no sin. When we commit no sin, we go to heaven. So, let's all get drunk and go to heaven!
-- George Bernard Shaw

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
-- Benjamin Franklin

Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza.
-- Dave Barry

Beer: helping ugly people have sex since 3000 b.c.
-- W.C. Fields

Remember "I" before "E", except in Budweiser.
-- Professor Irwin Corey

To some it's a six-pack, to me it's a "support group." Salvation in a can!
-- Leo Durocher

One night at Cheers, Cliff Clavin explained the "Buffalo Theory" to his buddy, Norm. "Well ya see, Norm, it's like this. A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, as we know, kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine! That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers."

Gopher

« Reply #104 on: 3 Aug 2013, 07:08 pm »
Some of my favorites this summer have been:

Stone's Ruin10
Big John
Sierra Nevada's Hoptimum (cheap and cheerful too!)
And today I'm enjoying an imperial porter from Flying Dog--not the most complex flavors, but an interesting porter and damn drinkable at 9.2abv.

roscoeiii

« Reply #105 on: 3 Aug 2013, 07:20 pm »
I had a crazy German beer called Abraaxxas yesterday. Smoky, sour wheat beer. Sound odd? You bet. But damn was it great.

rodge827

« Reply #106 on: 3 Aug 2013, 11:45 pm »
One night at Cheers, Cliff Clavin explained the "Buffalo Theory" to his buddy, Norm. "Well ya see, Norm, it's like this. A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, as we know, kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine! That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers."

:thumb:  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :thumb:

dflee

« Reply #107 on: 4 Aug 2013, 02:38 pm »
Tried an Atwater Brewery Voodoo Vator last night and shew it is good.
Am gravitating twards browns and Goldens with a dopplebock once in a while.
The Voodoo Vator is a dopple with very smooth flavor and I can only take a couple
at a time (9%). Doesn't have any flavoring other than the malts and hops and brings them
out in spades. A little expensive but great for once in a while.

Don

polyglot

« Reply #108 on: 9 Aug 2013, 07:32 pm »
Anything Belgian, especially the sours. Rodenbach gran cru tops my list and so does anything Cantillon and Boon. Let's not forget the Trappist either!
Most English, especially Samuel Smith's (their oatmeal stout is godly)
Many Germans
and last but not least, LOTS, of American craft brewers.
Americans, IMO, due to their lack of tradition are much more open minded to experimentation and many of them succeed in creating new and exciting beer styles.
My favorites are: Rogue, Dogfish Head, Stone, Alesmith, Russian River, Pizza Port, New Glarus, etc. etc. I'm sure I'm forgetting many...

Ditto, anyone likes the Hoegaarden (or "Blanche") could have a go at the Bavarian Hefeweizen but the Belgians still are number 1 ! My favorite is Duvel (Dutch for devil so you get the picture if you have more than a few of those).  A pleasant one to drink everyday is the "Bolleke" or DeKoninck from Antwerp. There are many Trappist but those from Westmalle are the best to try first if you're not familiar with the taste of Trappist.

ratso

« Reply #109 on: 31 Aug 2013, 03:07 pm »
make your own! ive currently got a pliny the elder cooking. hey you can't taste it outside of california, so how else ya gonna get any?

mick wolfe

« Reply #110 on: 31 Aug 2013, 03:47 pm »
Old Chub Scotch Ale from Oskar Blues Brewery....drink it at home or bring a designated driver.

Mikeinsacramento

« Reply #111 on: 31 Aug 2013, 05:42 pm »
http://www.mammothbrewingco.com/beers/gt/

Came across this the other night and really enjoyed it. 

roscoeiii

« Reply #112 on: 31 Aug 2013, 05:59 pm »
make your own! ive currently got a pliny the elder cooking. hey you can't taste it outside of california, so how else ya gonna get any?

Killer. I have been thinking of brewing a clone. But only recipes I have seen is whole grain and I am not that advanced yet.

FireGuy

« Reply #113 on: 16 Sep 2014, 05:54 pm »
Kwak in Amsterdam this evening.  It has surpassed Arrogant Bastard as my #1.  Most enjoyable Belgian Amber Ale.  Yes, I went back for seconds.  The presentation with their special glass too was refreshing.

MarkR7

« Reply #114 on: 16 Sep 2014, 07:08 pm »
Been enjoying these two lately!  :beer:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #115 on: 28 Sep 2014, 05:34 pm »
Highly recommended, but you'll have to come to STL to get it.   8)
And in case you're curious, that "bottle" is 64 ounces....yea....it's a half gallon.

FireGuy

« Reply #116 on: 28 Sep 2014, 05:41 pm »
Highly recommended, but you'll have to come to STL to get it.   8)
And in case you're curious, that "bottle" is 64 ounces....yea....it's a half gallon.

Attention all brewers:  This is how you should package beer.  No exceptions.  A new meaning to "Yeah,  I'll just have one."

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #117 on: 28 Sep 2014, 05:45 pm »
  A new meaning to "Yeah,  I'll just have one."
:lol: :lol:
There's a bar in New Mexico south of Las Crusas.... Just a few miles north of Mexico that sells beers in a 40 glass bottle.
You get a galvanized metal bucket full of ice (think redneck champagne bucket) to keep it cool while you drink it.

Bob  :thumb:

roscoeiii

« Reply #118 on: 28 Sep 2014, 08:05 pm »
Oh, the 40 has been much celebrated. For example the Olde English 800 (a.k.a. "8-Ball")

For example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_lNZ22WxxA

Turk

« Reply #119 on: 28 Sep 2014, 08:07 pm »
I was in San Diego last week and tried Ballast Point Victory at Sea Imperial Porter with Coffee and Vanilla.  Incredible flavors of espresso, Hershey's chocolate with carmel.  Can't find it in Denver, have never had a beer with this combination of flavors.

Four finger head; one to try.