Complete 2-Ch Hypex Amp Kits $495

guest1632

Re: Complete 2-Ch Hypex Amp Kits $495
« Reply #20 on: 19 Nov 2005, 02:59 pm »
Quote from: Kevin Haskins
Ok.. for you bargain hunters who are willing to break out the soldering iron & provide a little free labor we are now offering the basic 2-channel Hypex amplifier kits.  

The UCD-180 versions are now on the site and I'm working on the UCD-400 version next.  

Hypex Amplifier Kit

Hi Kevin,

Well, Whatever happened with the Auricap project for the outputs? Any news there?

Ray

darwin

« Reply #21 on: 21 Nov 2005, 04:14 pm »
We use the same chassis to build up to seven channel amps though so we would have to stock another chassis, which I'm hesitant to do.

Kevin: Is there any chance that you could be convinced to overcome your hesitancy?  I would really like to have a five channel UcD400 AD with all the bells and whistles in a single chassis. In fact, DIY Cable is at the very top of my Xmas list which has already been submitted to Santa and waiting approval. :D

Kevin Haskins

Re: Complete 2-Ch Hypex Amp Kits $495
« Reply #22 on: 21 Nov 2005, 04:17 pm »
Quote from: Ray Bronk
Ok.. for you bargain hunters who are willing to break out the soldering iron & provide a little free labor we are now offering the basic 2-channel Hypex amplifier kits.  

The UCD-180 versions are now on the site and I'm working on the UCD-400 version next.  

Hypex Amplifier Kit

Hi Kevin,

Well, Whatever happened with the Auricap project for the outputs? Any news there?

Ray

I'm still waiting.   I was told they would be here in time for CES but my last update was three weeks ago.

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #23 on: 21 Nov 2005, 04:22 pm »
Quote from: darwin
We use the same chassis to build up to seven channel amps though so we would have to stock another chassis, which I'm hesitant to do.

Kevin: Is there any chance that you could be convinced to overcome your hesitancy?  I would really like to have a five channel UcD400 AD with all the bells and whistles in a single chassis. In fact, DIY Cable is at the very top of my Xmas list which has already been submitted to Santa and waiting approval. :D

We can do five channels without a problem.  Our limits are due to the real estate in the current chassis which will fit up to seven UCD-180s but only five UCD-400s.     We would be able to do seven UCD-400s but we have had to move to a more aggressive heatsinking solution for them and that takes up more space limiting us to five channel UCD400 solutions.

darwin

« Reply #24 on: 21 Nov 2005, 04:46 pm »
We can do five channels without a problem.  Our limits are due to the real estate in the current chassis which will fit up to seven UCD-180s but only five UCD-400s.     We would be able to do seven UCD-400s but we have had to move to a more aggressive heatsinking solution for them and that takes up more space limiting us to five channel UCD400 solutions.

Thanks Kevin, you've got a PM.

Nick B

« Reply #25 on: 21 Nov 2005, 05:21 pm »
Just curious. Can a novice put the kit together? I can solder and am mechanical, but can't read schematics. Also, can Auricaps and extras be ordered to upgrade as I know someone who can do that for me. How much power at 4 and 8 ohms can a stereo UCD 400 put out? Thanks for elaborating. By the way, the DACT attenuator I bought recently is a very nice sonic upgrade.

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #26 on: 21 Nov 2005, 06:49 pm »
Quote from: Nick B
Just curious. Can a novice put the kit together? I can solder and am mechanical, but can't read schematics. Also, can Auricaps and extras be ordered to upgrade as I know someone who can do that for me. How much power at 4 and 8 ohms can a stereo UCD 400 put out? Thanks for elaborating. By the way, the DACT attenuator I bought recently is a very nice sonic upgrade.

It's pretty simple.   Actually the only place you need to solder is on the RCA/XLR inputs and the IEC input.   You don't need to read any schematics.   The Hypex instructions show a very simple line drawing which shows you how to hook-up everything.   I'm going to improve upon those with some simple pictures when I get the time.   Overall though the most difficult part of assembling one is drilling the holes to mount the modules to the floor of the cabinet.    There isn't ANY PCB work or soldering of components.   Its already completely done.   All you have to do is crimp on some connectors and hook up the wires in the correct place.   All positions are clearly marked and if you have any questions you can always give me a call.

Overall I think my wife could do it and she has a hard time getting the hood of the car open.

UCD-180 amps are about 90W into 8 Ohms and 180 into 4 ohms.   Hypex has more meaningful data in their documentation with distortion and bandwidth curves.  

The UCD-400 is 200W into 8 Ohms and 400W into 4 Ohms.   Same deal... check out their data sheets for more measured data.

Hobbes26

« Reply #27 on: 29 Nov 2005, 11:02 pm »
Will other Exodus Audio dealers be selling these kits as well?

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #28 on: 30 Nov 2005, 01:12 am »
Not at this point.   We are in our infancy on the Exodus product line.   Some of the items make sense to run through our partners.... others don't.    The amp kit falls under the doesn't make sense catagory.

ooheadsoo

« Reply #29 on: 30 Nov 2005, 02:45 am »
We will need to drill the holes into the case ourselves?

JoshK

« Reply #30 on: 30 Nov 2005, 03:48 am »
Drilling small holes is quite easy in aluminum, regular bits and a drill will do, but larger holes usually require a drill press and carbide bits.

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #31 on: 30 Nov 2005, 01:18 pm »
Quote from: ooheadsoo
We will need to drill the holes into the case ourselves?

At this point you need to drill holes for mounting the power supply & modules.   We use a standard cordless drill with the appropriate bit.   It's fairly simple... only takes a couple minutes once you have all the holes marked.

There is no need to drill on the rear or front panel.   Both of those have all the metal work CNCed for the appropriate connector.

In the future as we standardize we we will probably have our case manufacture punch all the mounting holes.   Since we have so many configurations it's difficult to cover all of them for mounting parts to the floor of the chassis.   It ends up looking like swiss cheese from all the mounting holes.  :-)

Hobbes26

« Reply #32 on: 30 Nov 2005, 04:39 pm »
Not at this point.   We are in our infancy on the Exodus product line.   Some of the items make sense to run through our partners.... others don't.    The amp kit falls under the doesn't make sense catagory.

I guess there won't be an easy way to get these up across the border for the time being.  Duties really hurt.

eros28

« Reply #33 on: 1 Dec 2005, 07:46 am »
Hobbes26

I hear ya! I'm thinking of taking a trip to pick up a few  goodies Kevin is offering...I don't know how much duty or taxes are incurred in amp modules and power supplies but I think it might be cheaper than paying the exchange (on the Euro) and duty from the Netherlands (Hypex).

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #34 on: 1 Dec 2005, 06:26 pm »
I can ship them over to Lynnwood for you to pick them up.   It cost money going across the border if you carry them across also.   I send a lot of stuff via USPS into Canada which is much more reasonable than UPS but I'm not sure what they charge you for something like this.   I don't know why an amplifier kit would ding you more than a cable and plenty of Canadians buy other products from me with USPS shipping.

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #35 on: 1 Dec 2005, 07:01 pm »
Quote from: Hobbes26

I guess there won't be an easy way to get these up across the border for the time being.  Duties really hurt.

I just called John Chapman to ask about this.  If you use USPS during the checkout the only brokerage fee you will pay is $5 for the transaction.  You will have to pay your normal sales tax depending on where you live.   Don't choose UPS though because you will end up paying much larger brokerage fees.

fajimr

« Reply #36 on: 1 Dec 2005, 08:19 pm »

just as a point of reference.. I just ordered a chassis and had it shipped to montreal (where I am moving).  The declared value was 65USD and I was charged 40 CAD for duty!!!  Seemed a little steep to me-not sure how they figured that one out.

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #37 on: 1 Dec 2005, 08:38 pm »
Quote from: fajimr

just as a point of reference.. I just ordered a chassis and had it shipped to montreal (where I am moving).  The declared value was 65USD and I was charged 40 CAD for duty!!!  Seemed a little steep to me-not sure how they figured that one out.

Was it shipped via UPS or the postal service?

Watson

« Reply #38 on: 1 Dec 2005, 09:13 pm »
Quote from: fajimr

That wasn't duty you were charged.  There is zero duty on items coming from the US (with the exception of items made overseas and imported into the US with no additional value-add).  

What you paid was UPS' exorbitant "brokerage fee" as well as other UPS fees.  Here's the breakdown:
http://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/shipping/cost/zones/customs_clearance.html
You paid $19 for UPS "brokerage", then $5.85 for not paying in advance, then $4.25 for collecting that money you didn't pay in advance, then PST/GST on the stupid $29.10 UPS charged you, for a total of $33.32 in fees to UPS.  That's on top of whatever you paid UPS in the first place to ship the item.  (The rest of what you got charged was PST/GST on the actual item, which is fair.)

Never ever use UPS for shipping goods to Canada.  Their fee structure is outrageous and their representatives are dishonest, often referring to these fees as "duty", which is designed to mislead people into thinking they're paying some kind of tariff or tax.

Hobbes26

« Reply #39 on: 1 Dec 2005, 10:29 pm »
I just called John Chapman to ask about this.  If you use USPS during the checkout the only brokerage fee you will pay is $5 for the transaction.  You will have to pay your normal sales tax depending on where you live.   Don't choose UPS though because you will end up paying much larger brokerage fees.

Thanks for the information!

And yes, NEVER go with UPS... I've had to pay $40 worth of fees on $15 worth of CDs.  My mom didn't know better when she accepted the item.

I've also found that USPS is much more reasonable.  

Oh, I'm in Calgary now (yay no prov sales tax!), so it's a tad more difficult for me to get down to Lynnwood... no more visits to Adire for me. :(