Custom in ear monitors??

stlrman

Custom in ear monitors??
« on: 19 Apr 2014, 08:08 pm »
I am going to get some headphones for my birthday. I am looking at hd600 or 650 or Hifiman HE 400
Or maybe go a totally different route to customs. I am looking at Alclair customs ,one of their "bottom" two models, both are dual drivers.
I am often on the move around the house, listening to Spotify through my IPod . I like the concept of being able to listen anywhere , and while on the move.
Does anyone have any experience with customs? Comfort? sound? Etc...
Thank you!

roscoeiii

Re: Custom in ear monitors??
« Reply #1 on: 19 Apr 2014, 08:18 pm »
You lose a resale option on customs sadly. So I'd be sure you want ISMs before buying. That's why I tried universal IEMs first (Shure 846s, which I freaking love).

If it is just around the house, and you don't need isolation, I'd go with open full-size cans.

For on-the-go and at work, high quality ISMs are fabulous though. Don't regret my purchase of these at all.

stlrman

« Reply #2 on: 19 Apr 2014, 09:04 pm »
Thanks Roscoe. I am also considering Beyer dt990 . They get awesome reviews, have a great price, and look real comfy! Then maybe I can get a pair of customs or a universal in ear as well as an open over ear can.
Ism stand for what? The Shures are way expensive at a grand. I bet they sound heavenly though.

I met a local headfi guy through the forum , and he own about 20 high end cans. I plan to demo a few pairs.

Comfort is a big concern. Don't want too heavy, as I tend to have a tight neck, holding all my stress in my neck.
I am open to any in ear universal options as well. I would like to stay $450

roscoeiii

« Reply #3 on: 19 Apr 2014, 09:17 pm »
Oops phone autocorrected IEM to ISM

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 19 Apr 2014, 09:47 pm »
I am a big Alclair fan. I am currently using a pair of their RSM CIEM and I love them. They are more natural than the other two pairs of customs I have had. They bring a more refined sound to the canvas; instruments sound more real.

I've auditioned Alclair's entire line-up.   Do listening to music I would recommend the Dual Xb, the Reference, and the RSM.  I convinced a family member that travel a lot to eat impressions and use a pair of customs. He ended up loving them so much he asked me if there was something even better. He has money in hand to purchase the Reference monitors.

stlrman, customs do have a small resale value but you are guaranteed a magical fit. It might be hard to find a universal that is comfortable for you. I say get a pair of customs and don't look back. Plus, the personalized artwork is a nice add-on.  I kicked myself for not adding artwork to my first pair of monitors.

stlrman

« Reply #5 on: 19 Apr 2014, 10:54 pm »
Thanks so much TF!!
I may shoot you a pm if you don't mind.
I think you have helped solidify my decesion to go with Alclair.
I have plans to pimp them out to my liking. Man they have awesome designs!, real eye candy, and ear candy I hope.
I was blown away with their customer service. The owner if went so far as to find me an audiologist in Pitttsburgh who would do the impressions for $50 , where I had only one quote at $150.
Thanks!! Todd

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 19 Apr 2014, 11:26 pm »
PM away. I don't mind.