OPPO headphones.

Guy 13

OPPO headphones.
« on: 12 Apr 2014, 04:37 am »

ajzepp

Re: OPPO headphones.
« Reply #1 on: 12 Apr 2014, 06:51 am »
Hi Guy: I should have put Oppo in the title, but we have a thread going about these exciting new headphones already...join in the fun!  :thumb:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=120550.0

Guy 13

« Reply #2 on: 12 Apr 2014, 07:08 am »
Hi Guy: I should have put Oppo in the title, but we have a thread going about these exciting new headphones already...join in the fun!  :thumb:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=120550.0
Hi ajzepp.
Well, it's my fault. I should have look further into the topic.
Anyway, what's done is done.
Thanks.

Guy 13

(Hopefully) This afternoon I will set up my recently received Bottlehead Crack with my Sennheiser HD-650 that's being sitting on the shelve for a few months.
I will audition and post my impressions.
My combo (Crack - HD-650) cost less than the OPPO headphones alone.
Are the OPPO better ?
Maybe I will never find out, since I cannot afford the OPPO at 1,000 USD+

Guy 13

« Reply #3 on: 13 Apr 2014, 06:52 am »
I almost pressed the order button, since I really love how they describe it, especially in the one thorough review I read, but since there were no other reviews, I didn't - let someone get them and provide a second opinion, which should happen next week as they're scheduled for release Monday the 14th.

Hi dalethorn.
Most manufacturers own review
or description of their products is always flattering.
The ultimate review(s) comes from one or even better:
Several actual users.
Waiting a few more days before pushing the ORDER button,
is a good decision from you.
To decide to share your findings on the newly purchased OPPO hearphones,
is an even better decision. :lol: :thumb:
I am very curious to see if their headphones are as good as they look
or are as good as their BluRay players.

Guy 13

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 13 Apr 2014, 01:18 pm »
Well at 102dB sensitivity it will made alot of sound even with a portable or PC.
The final word will be the soundstage size of this phone.
All big soundstage phones are priced at $1500 and more.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #5 on: 13 Apr 2014, 01:39 pm »
If you like neutral phones planars are not your tea.
Seems the HD800 will fit your needs perfectly.

Freo-1

« Reply #6 on: 13 Apr 2014, 01:44 pm »
Stax headphones are pretty darn neutral. 

Check out these measurements:   http://www.innerfidelity.com/headphone-data-sheet-downloads 

The Stax SR-507 measures better than most all dynamic units.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 13 Apr 2014, 02:21 pm »
If the Stax 009 is colored what your opinion about the HE400??

Freo-1

« Reply #8 on: 13 Apr 2014, 02:25 pm »
Not at all - I prefer to live on the dark side. I reviewed the Mad Dog and ZMF planars here just a month ago, and loved them. I ordered the Alpha Dog for $600 because I'm so impressed. What I mean by colorations are really severe colorations, and some of the expensive headphones have them. And the bright Stax SR009 was interesting, but still too bright.

It does NOT measure that way. Are you sure it wasn't the electronics used?

Freo-1

« Reply #9 on: 13 Apr 2014, 03:35 pm »
OK, that makes sense.  In absolute terms, I strongly prefer my Stax 007 ta/SR-507 setup.  BTW, the Stax amp sounds better with NOS RCA tubes over the stock Russian tubes.  It is not portable, as I use it when I am reading books. 

For portable listening, I use a Shure SCL5 that I find is excellent for portable use.

Getting back on topic, given Oppo's excellent track record, would very much like to listen to these.

steve in jersey

« Reply #10 on: 13 Apr 2014, 06:22 pm »
There is a pretty big thread on the "Oppo PM-1" over on (what a surprise) Head Fi. The usual amount of "dopeyness & nonsense" exists in this thread as it does whenever they open things up for discussion. I found 1
particular repeat poster's (one of the beta testers) comments very entertaining to say the least. On more than
one occasion I found myself saying "Oh no he diiin't say that" before ROTFLMAO.  He really does'nt really seem to understand certain Audio jargon & has a penchant for mentioning all the measurements he takes as answering questions. (I could see him getting together w/ a few of his Audio Buddies for a nice long "measuring session" so that "after" viewing the data they could decide if they "liked" something.)

The funny thing is I still find these "cans" pretty interesting based on comments from more seasoned LISTENERS.  :icon_lol:  So have a blast & check out this thread I believe it is called "The Oppo PM-1 discussion & appreciation thread" over on Head Case ,err Head Fi

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 13 Apr 2014, 06:41 pm »
If appreciation thread is part of the title seems the verdict already declare.

To me I can say I dont like the looking of this phones, its too kitch and dated to say... 1980 years IMO.

Some great looking phones are Audeze, Beyer, AKG, Hifiman, Denon, Fostex etc which use a classic design that may last decades.

steve in jersey

« Reply #12 on: 14 Apr 2014, 01:17 am »
I think I understand what you mean. The Oppo looks to me like the KEF M500 in some ways, as though it were the simplest possible industrial design to make in large quantities. Not quite like the original look of the B&W P5 for example. Hopefully that will not be the case, since Oppo has the advantage of listening to all of the other famous ortho headphones to make sure their headphone is even better.

They institute the word "Appreciation" onto all the pre-release headphone threads . I think they do this to encourage the Mfgs. to send them "bulletins" on release dates before it becomes more public . I wouldn't read too much into that.

I don't know how many of you are that familiar w/ Planar Magnetic headphones but they are quite a bit more
transparent sounding than just about any other HP technology available . I would say they are even a little more transparent then that expensive German HP that was being called the best in "the World" for a while. There are 2 issues that most of the Planars have in common (which I found are'nt that hard to correct) but are deal breakers for many. There is a lot of excitement over the Oppo HPs as they have specifically addressed
These 2 issues. As a "pedigree" Planars tend to be a bit heavy & are not nearly as efficient as most other HPs-

For most other headphone types these would be considered expensive. For Planar HPs these are "mid priced".
If you're an Audiophile who is'nt able to use loudspeakers for their main playback use but are looking for a
high quality listening source these really that outrageously priced in that perspective. That is of course if they can "deliver the goods" as some of there higher priced brethren can.

Oops ! When I was talking about how transparent Planars can sound I was talking about my Hifiman HE 6s I'm currently using. (If the Oppo is'nt up to this standard I don't want people trying to hunt me down; though
preliminary reports have been fairly positive). Given how exceptional my HE 6s are sounding at this moment
I think I might be spending some unecessary "audio money" on a different set of "cans"

Guy 13

« Reply #13 on: 14 Apr 2014, 02:10 am »
Hi all.
I like the look of the OPPO and my HD-650,
I don't like too much the look of the HD-800.
I like simple design/construction.

Guy 13