Audeze LCD-2 - Rev. 2

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
Re: Audeze LCD-2 - Rev. 2
« Reply #20 on: 5 Feb 2014, 02:40 pm »
I was just sorta burnt out with the hobby so I took a total break and watched the tablet scene develop and take off,  I've been slowly returning to my audio ways and then I read about Fiio's X5 DAP and that got my juices going so I had to get some new cans,  doesn't everyone...... lololol
Plus I missed the dancing sunglass guy..  :dance: :dance:

bjski

« Reply #21 on: 5 Feb 2014, 07:39 pm »
I don't know what other members think but my Hifiman HE-500 requires the most power out of all my cans. The Audeze LCD-3 are much more efficient.

Good luck with everyone's search.....you can't go wrong with any of the can's mentioned.

viggen

« Reply #22 on: 5 Feb 2014, 09:22 pm »
I don't know what other members think but my Hifiman HE-500 requires the most power out of all my cans. The Audeze LCD-3 are much more efficient.

Good luck with everyone's search.....you can't go wrong with any of the can's mentioned.

I agree that HE500 is harder to drive than LCD2.  Beyer 880-600ohm needs power than even HE500 for adequate loudness.

milford3

« Reply #23 on: 5 Feb 2014, 09:57 pm »
I'm still waiting for FedEx to deliver my LCD-2's today. Dam Northeast (US) weather.  It's like living in Canada this winter.

ajzepp

« Reply #24 on: 5 Feb 2014, 10:19 pm »
I'm still waiting for FedEx to deliver my LCD-2's today. Dam Northeast (US) weather.  It's like living in Canada this winter.

Which wood did you get, Milford? The bamboo or rosewood? My pair was the bamboo and they were MUCH nicer looking in person than in the pics...just beautiful headphones.

milford3

« Reply #25 on: 5 Feb 2014, 10:54 pm »
I got the bamboo.  They finally arrived and unpacked and on the old head.  They are big, heavy. and beautiful.  I can smell the ear pads.  Ear pad design is fantastic.  First impresstion is they are a little dark sounding but they will change with break-in (off course). 

ajzepp

« Reply #26 on: 5 Feb 2014, 10:57 pm »
I got the bamboo.  They finally arrived and unpacked and on the old head.  They are big, heavy and beautiful.  I can smell the ear pads.  Ear pad design is fantastic.  First impresstion is they are a little dark sounding but they will change with break-in (off course). 

Wow...look at those beautiful headphones...I remember the day my 2s showed up...I was in absolute awe. I know that smell of which you speak, too...the soft leather and the memory foam in those pads are so damn comfortable. And yes, the sound will change over the first 20 hours or so...call it break-in, call in our ears adjusting to the sound, whatever...but you'll find yourself more and more drawn in as the hours go by.

I just feel bad for your other headphones lol

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #27 on: 5 Feb 2014, 11:51 pm »
Make sure you guys let us all know when you decide to start selling your soon to be neglected headphones...... Some of us drool over certain Grado's and Beyers etc. we see in these pics...... LOL..... T1, PS500, numbers roll across my dreamscapes now and again.  :bowdown:

FireGuy

« Reply #28 on: 6 Feb 2014, 12:52 am »
Real nice.  I see the same quality looking, in-room photo from that of a vendor's web site pic.  But, as we know in audio,  performance gets the biggest grade.  I have a feeling these are going to displace some well established units.  Sonic impressions soon as you can, please.

milford3

« Reply #29 on: 6 Feb 2014, 05:30 pm »
Where do I begin with the LCD-2's.  The angled R/L cup connections?  The lamb skin leather ear pads?  The combo correct headphone amp?  Sound?  The planar drivers are big.  And I mean big!  I still need to break them in more but the mids and bass are huge.  Sound stage is from another planet.  Played Draconian last night and my head was in a another world.  I would pit these cans with any, and I mean any 5k speakers.  In fact let me bump that up to 10k speakers.  I'm I ranting and raving? You bet.  In fact, the Schiit Vahalla would be even a better amp with the LCD-2's just to calm them down a tat.  The reproduction of music is so large its like being in yankee stadium.   They are not as bright as the T1's (which I like about the Beyers) but in no way subtracts from anything from the LCD-2's.  Keep your dirty, stinking paws off my Audezes. 

FireGuy

« Reply #30 on: 6 Feb 2014, 06:04 pm »
Where do I begin with the LCD-2's.  The angled R/L cup connections?  The lamb skin leather ear pads?  The combo correct headphone amp?  Sound?  The planar drivers are big.  And I mean big!  I still need to break them in more but the mids and bass are huge.  Sound stage is from another planet.  Played Draconian last night and my head was in a another world.  I would pit these cans with any, and I mean any 5k speakers.  In fact let me bump that up to 10k speakers.  I'm I ranting and raving? You bet.  In fact, the Schiit Vahalla would be even a better amp with the LCD-2's just to calm them down a tat.  The reproduction of music is so large its like being in yankee stadium.   They are not as bright as the T1's (which I like about the Beyers) but in no way subtracts from anything from the LCD-2's.  Keep your dirty, stinking paws off my Audezes.

Your initial take is what this whole audio thing is about.  This kind of testimonial keeps me wanting more. 

hibuckhobby

• On a search for audio nirvana
« Reply #31 on: 6 Feb 2014, 08:27 pm »
I may have to start looking for a pair.  Since I got the Bottlehead S.E.X. amp,
I have become far more fond of my HE500's than I used to be.  Now I'm curious
about how the LCD-2's would sound with it.
Hibuck....

dreamreaper

« Reply #32 on: 11 Feb 2014, 11:14 pm »
Where do I begin with the LCD-2's.  The angled R/L cup connections?  The lamb skin leather ear pads?  The combo correct headphone amp?  Sound?  The planar drivers are big.  And I mean big!  I still need to break them in more but the mids and bass are huge.  Sound stage is from another planet. Played Draconian last night and my head was in a another world.  I would pit these cans with any, and I mean any 5k speakers.  In fact let me bump that up to 10k speakers.  I'm I ranting and raving? You bet.  In fact, the Schiit Vahalla would be even a better amp with the LCD-2's just to calm them down a tat.  The reproduction of music is so large its like being in yankee stadium.   They are not as bright as the T1's (which I like about the Beyers) but in no way subtracts from anything from the LCD-2's.  Keep your dirty, stinking paws off my Audezes.

I would bet most all Doom Metal sounds awesome with them?
What tubes are you running in the Lyr?

milford3

« Reply #33 on: 12 Feb 2014, 12:38 am »
I'm currently using the stock NOS GE 6BZ7 tubes.  Someone should make a tube just for doom metal.  I'm not looking at rolling right now but more interested in cabling.

ajzepp

« Reply #34 on: 12 Feb 2014, 01:06 am »
I'm currently using the stock NOS GE 6BZ7 tubes.  Someone should make a tube just for doom metal.  I'm not looking at rolling right now but more interested in cabling.

This guy (Steve Eddy) is very highly regarded at head-fi, particularly for the LCDs...I"ve not used his service, but I've spoken to him on several occasions and he's a riot...great guy to talk to. May want to add him to your short list.

http://www.q-audio.com/

FireGuy

« Reply #35 on: 12 Feb 2014, 01:11 am »
I would bet most all Doom Metal sounds awesome with them?
What tubes are you running in the Lyr?

I'm betting the LCD-2's are sounding fantastic with Doom.  Such an addictive metal sub genre IMO.   I can almost hear how the Audez envelope the listener with rich tempos, minor tonality, dissonance and utter despair.  Yikes this stuff is good.  Draconian?  Yeah, top of the Doom pile.

Audioclyde

« Reply #36 on: 12 Feb 2014, 02:02 am »
I have some of Steve Eddy's Q cables and think they are really good.

ajzepp

« Reply #37 on: 12 Feb 2014, 02:12 am »
I have some of Steve Eddy's Q cables and think they are really good.

Thanks for the confirmation...seems that everyone I've heard from is very pleased with his stuff.

I'd love to order one myself just to see if I can tell any difference, but since I prefer a longer run it would just be cost prohibitive. I love the look of those cables, though...

milford3

« Reply #38 on: 20 Feb 2014, 08:50 pm »
The Audeze LCD2's are so good I ordered the Blue Cable from Moon Audio.  I will see (hear) what a difference the cable will make with the LCD2's.  Stay tuned in.

http://www.moon-audio.com/moon-audio-blue-dragon-headphone-cable.html

dreamreaper

« Reply #39 on: 20 Feb 2014, 10:18 pm »
Good deal, interested in what you find out.

I have there Black Dragon on my HD650, but I have never heard it with the stock cable. I bought it used and it came with it.