Turntable repair

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Turntable repair
« on: 25 May 2016, 06:49 pm »
After moving my Technics SP-10 MKII from one room to another, it lost speed control.  On a direct drive, this can be a catastrophic event requiring mega buck repairs.  After contacting Bill Thalmann and several sprays of Caig De-Oxit on the power supply connections, it's playing fine.  Clearly, this is the go to guy for Technics SP10's. 
I thought I'd start a thread about vinyl tech guys that you can recommend. Is there someone you can vouch for?
You can reach Bill here:

http://musictechnology.com/

bacobits1

Re: Turntable repair
« Reply #1 on: 25 May 2016, 08:53 pm »
Bill Thalmann and Company is the place to go for any repairs. Just Excellent!

ACHiPo

« Reply #2 on: 26 May 2016, 06:04 am »
Scott,
I think you need to send it to me for an exorcism.  Should be cured in 4-6 years.
AC

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #3 on: 26 May 2016, 01:51 pm »
Scott,
I think you need to send it to me for an exorcism.  Should be cured in 4-6 years.
AC
What a generous offer, Evan!  In a way, that's sort of how I came by the SP10 in the first place.  A buddy had married and had either sold or stored his gear.  His SP10 was sitting in a closet and he loaned it to me for around 4 years... until he got rid of the wife, at which time he set up another system.  I searched around a bought another one. 

I had hoped that this thread would lead to a list of dependable tech guys that we could sticky for our vinyl addicts. Apparently, the list starts and stops with Bill Thalmann. 

orthobiz

« Reply #4 on: 12 Jun 2016, 02:44 am »
Thomas O'Keefe at Overture Audio in Ann Arbor.
Especially Linns.

Paul